ADVERTISEMENT

Huskers 9.5 underdogs to the Badgers

baby-run-omg.gif

Wisconsin might statistically by the #1 defense, but they are nowhere near the #1 defense…much in the same way Iowa’s defense really isn’t very good, as evidenced by getting chewed up by the Gophers yesterday. Nebraska can score points on Wisconsin.

Saying that…Adrian Martinez is Adrian Martinez and Nebraska still has multiple NAIA dudes in D1 bodies on the OL.

The fat phuk roaming the sidelines for Wisconsin will try to beat the ever living hell out of Nebraska and he will have his team fired up to do so. Combine that with the offensive shit show and shittier special teams - it will end ugly.

Reactions: huskerfan66
The fat phuk roaming the sidelines for Wisconsin will try to beat the ever living hell out of Nebraska and he will have his team fired up to do so. Combine that with the offensive shit show and shittier special teams - it will end ugly.
I said similar about Ohio State and wanting style points against Nebraska. Turns out they had to wait to play Purdue to get their style points.

I've come to expect not knowing what to expect with this team. They have been consistently close this season though.

The coach on their sideline that matters is their DC, unless you own a McDonald’s and then their HC becomes valuable

• Haha
Reactions: SkerInCo
It makes plenty of sense. Nebraska has played well as the underdog and I think they can win. It is +380 on the money line and if I think NU wins I’ll go for it. Make sense to you?
Nebraska could certainly win this game - certainly very possible. But, I expect to just, once again, have what remains of my fandom ripped from the depths of my soul with ~2:00 remaining in the game.

Wisconsin might statistically by the #1 defense, but they are nowhere near the #1 defense…much in the same way Iowa’s defense really isn’t very good, as evidenced by getting chewed up by the Gophers yesterday. Nebraska can score points on Wisconsin.

Saying that…Adrian Martinez is Adrian Martinez and Nebraska still has multiple NAIA dudes in D1 bodies on the OL.
7th scoring defense in the nation isn't very good?

There are some real fukin morons here, as evidenced by the above post.

Reactions: beatdahuskers
They may have the #1 defense but Nebraska still held the #1 offense to 26 points? What rank is Wisconsin offense? Can wisconsins O score enough to cover 10 points? Im not thinking so. Wisky may win but itll be about a 24-21 type game.

Not sure how the players will respond to the staff being gutted. The offense might actually get even worse now.
Not sure about that, "coaching" may be the problem. Offense would probably be better if they just made up the plays in the huddle.

Wisconsin by 17+ The Badgers offense s almost hitting full stride now and DC Jim Leonhard will hold the Huskers under 14. Ballpark 31-10

The only variable that will materially effect the outcome is turnovers and Nebraska will need +3 to make it a game.

• Haha
Reactions: SkerInCo
If the fellas on defense haven't checked out, Williams plays and we don't give up TOs or 13 yard punts on our side of the field, WI will not score more than 24 points - and I think more like 14-20. They run the ball, we have been pretty good at stopping the run. They don't get a lot of passing yards and I think we can keep their receivers relatively bottled up. To me, the caveat is how much the offense can produce. If we are 3 and out all day long, the defense is going to wear down and WI could score a couple of TDs in the 4th quarter. But, I think the offense goes a little more run oriented without Lubick and finds some success running and shortens the game. Or, I could be 100% wrong, which is why I don't bet on Husker games.

Reactions: WHCSC
I think the offense goes a little more run oriented without Lubick and finds some success running and shortens the game.
What would you consider a success?

Wisconsin's defense leads the nation in rush defense at 60.6 ypg allowed.

How many rush yards will Nebraska gain?

0, 14, 13, 7, 3, 7. Those are the point totals for the Wisconsin opponents over the last 6 games, and that includes two touchdowns scored by the opposing defenses. Those opponents (except maybe Purdue) were not good offenses, however. A dual-threat QB does present a different challenge than what the Badgers have seen.

With Wisconsin its a one-two punch:

1. Very stingy defense that leads the nation in both rush defense (60ypg) and opponent 3rd down conversion rate (.239). Very tough to run against and sustained TD scoring drives against them are rare.; and

2. A potent run heavy offense which racks up 1st downs resulting in significantly longer time of posession which, in turn, wears down an opponent's defense.

If you look at each of their 3 early losses, the blue print to victory appears to be through passing - that is where they are most vulnarable. Martinez will need to be on taget. Also, It will be interesting to see if Frost is willing to gamble more on 4th down this week.

With Wisconsin its a one-two punch:

1. Very stingy defense that leads the nation in both rush defense (60ypg) and opponent 3rd down conversion rate (.239). Very tough to run against and sustained TD scoring drives against them are rare.; and

2. A potent run heavy offense which racks up 1st downs resulting in significantly longer time of posession which, in turn, wears down an opponent's defense.

If you look at each of their 3 early losses, the blue print to victory appears to be through passing - that is where they are most vulnarable. Martinez will need to be on taget. Also, It will be interesting to see if Frost is willing to gamble more on 4th down this week.
Yep and you can't go three and out because this is a game where you are probably only going to get about 6-7 possessions. They are going to run the shit out of the clock.

Just looking at WI defense this year. Some of these stats could be off a couple points.

Here is WI schedule and the teams they have played, their average offensive yards, average points and offense rank

Team Yards Pts Rank
PSU 378 25 85
ND 396 32 69
EM 392 34 73
UM 442 34 30
ILL 318 16 117
ARMY 400 36 69
PUR 416 25 59
IA 297 24 124
RU 326 23 114
NW 332 17 111

AND....
NU 459 28 16

What WI has done on D this year has held the 85th, 111th, 114th, 117th and 124th offenses to 10, 7, 3, 0 and 7 points. The only top 30ish offense they played smoked them 38-17 (MU). Yes, they have been playing better lately, but compare their D to what NE has faced on offense this year with OSU (#1), MSU, MU, OU, and Buffalo, ALL ranked higher than Purdue, which is about WIs only impressive win this year. Yes, they have held most of their teams to small point totals, but take into account their offensive style, like MN and IA, keepaway ball.

What this means for our game is this, they have not played an offense in the same ballpark as NU since Michigan. Have they gotten better since then? Yes, most likely. But even with NUs redzone trouble, they will still move the ball and put up points.

For comparison, WI has the 78th ranked offense. I get these are all just stats and can only mean so much, but lets temper the beatdown scenarios a little. I guess if they team has quit, all bets are off, but I just really want to see how this plays out. I have such a bad taste in my mouth about the WI program. From the stupid i phone/flip phone comparison, Barry Alvarez bravado, to the Melvin Gordon arm tackle fest beatdowns, to the walk off field goal losses, the list goes on and on. Throw their cocky ass coach in there and its on the level of the Chase Daniel Mizzou days. uggh.

Last edited:

There is a predication like this every week, but it never seems to happen. I predicted we lose in invincibly heart breaking fashion, as usual.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT