ADVERTISEMENT

Hoosiers come into the vault as +5 dogs

NU needs at least 9 more wins. This is one of them they almost have to have. And while I definitely want NU to win, I placed a hedge bet on Indiana moneyline at +175. I don’t mind paying for NU wins.
I like your style!

NU needs at least 9 more wins. This is one of them they almost have to have. And while I definitely want NU to win, I placed a hedge bet on Indiana moneyline at +175. I don’t mind paying for NU wins.
Majority of the time if you can finish .500 in conference play
you have a decent shot at making the dance..

Can this Husker team accomplish this ?

I really wish the B1G would copy the Big East tip time framework for weekday games

First game - 6pm ET tip
Second game - 8pm ET tip

Would allow to have 3 broadcast windows for the new west coast teams by adding a 10pm ET tip next year if they want

Last edited:
I really wish the B1G would copy the Big East tip time framework for weekday games

First game - 5pm ET tip
Second game - 7pm ET tip

Would allow to have 3 broadcast windows for the new west coast teams by adding a 9pm ET tip next year if they want
I'm in the Mountain time zone and I don't think I've ever seen a Big East game at 3:00 p.m. my time on a weekday. Sometimes 4:00 MT, but no earlier.

Its not one they "almost have to have." Indiana has a NET Ranking of 103 as of today. A loss to Indiana would literally be Nebraska's WORST loss of the year. It would be counted as a Quad 3 Loss. Minnesota is only a Q2 loss, and will likely remain in that spot all season.

I'm in the Mountain time zone and I don't think I've ever seen a Big East game at 3:00 p.m. my time on a weekday. Sometimes 4:00 MT, but no earlier.
you're right! I'm MT as well and got my math wrong.

ha!

Majority of the time if you can finish .500 in conference play
you have a decent shot at making the dance..

Can this Husker team accomplish this ?

A 10-10 finish will get them there, but it comes with a caveat.

1. They need at least 3 or 4 Q1 wins. - That will require them to steal a win on the road vs. a team like Wisconsin, Illinois, or Ohio State. And really, they likely also need to pull off a major shocker with a win over a team like Purdue at home. That will be really tough. The Michigan State win should finish in the Q1 territory. That's a good start. Its currently a Q1 win. As of today, a home game win over Wisconsin would also be a Q1 win.

2. They need to avoid Q3 losses. The good news about the league is every potential road game will be Q1 or Q2 at this point. However, because the NET Ranking Quad system formula is absurd, they have to absolutely protect the home court vs. a few quality teams with bad rankings. They MUST win the following home games:

- Indiana
- Northwestern
- Michigan
- Penn State
- Minnesota
- Rutgers

3. Find a way to steal a couple winnable Q2 road games. Winning road games is never easy, even against marginal teams. They already failed one of those tests vs. a very marginal Minnesota team. They need to split these games:

- at Maryland
- at Michigan
- at Indiana
- at Northwestern
- at Rutgers
- at Iowa

My suspicion is this team will probably win a game or two that's unexpected, and they will probably lose a game or two that's unexpected.

Teams like Northwestern and Michigan are beatable this season, but they are constructed in ways that give Hoiberg teams and this current team a LOT of fits.

Lastly, Nebraska needs to Michigan State, Duquesne, and Kansas State to keep winning games.

One year, we finished with a 13-5 conference record and still didn't make the NCAA tournament.

This current team already has more Quad 1 wins than that team. That team also got crushed by devastating losses to Penn State, Central Florida, and St. John's.

And it was also the first season of the NET Ranking formula which puts a major emphasis on Margin of Victory. That Husker team had close wins over bad teams like Eastern Illinois, Long Beach State. UT San Antonio.

Luckily Nebraska has dominated most of their shitty opponents so far this season, which helps.

First game - 6pm ET tip
Second game - 8pm ET tip

Would allow to have 3 broadcast windows for the new west coast teams by adding a 10pm ET tip next year if they want
AND use the alternate channel if it goes long

Reactions: king_kong_
One year, we finished with a 13-5 conference record and still didn't make the NCAA tournament.

First game - 6pm ET tip
Second game - 8pm ET tip

Yeah, these 9pm eastern tipoffs are tough for me. I’m asleep early 2nd half lol

Reactions: king_kong_
This is setting up for a Hoiberg meltdown. I hope this team is different, but we always seem to shit the bed in these games. I'd go with Indiana tonight and because I said that NU covers with ease.
It's not just a Hoiberg thing. It's been a Husker basketball thing for most of my life. I might tune in for the final 5 minutes if I become aware we're still in the game.

Can we repeat? Hope so. That's usually when we lay the egg
Ya I'm trying to be positive which probably surprises everyone on this board. Nebraska has shown some different things than years past with the exception of the Minnesota and Creighton games. They shit the bed against Minnesota and never showed up for Creighton. We shall see with the Hoosiers showing up. I'm optimistic.

Reactions: ATX Husker
Pretty huge game tonight when you consider the next two games are @ Wisky and home against Purdon't. Could easily start off 0-3 if we don't protect the vault.

A couple key things for tonight's game:
1) Is Mast back, and healthy enough to play meaningful minutes? If so, he can somewhat neutralize the Indiana bigs and helps us with rebounding.
2) Can Indiana shoot the 3 at a decent percentage, and do they shoot enough of them to offset what I hope is our advantage from beyond the arc?

Nebraska should be competitive in every single game (home or away) as long as the other team doesn't go nuts from the 3-point line. That also assumes NU doesn't crap the bed on 3-pointers themselves. The only team I don't think we match up well enough with is Purdue, as we don't have anyone that can probably truly handle The Zombie (unless Ninja torches the nets for 30-40 points to take away Purdue's advantage in the paint).

Mast is ok considering the time off. Tominaga needs to just accept that opposing teams are going to be physical with him and he's not going to get every ticky-tack call. He has to keep playing and not hold his arms up to the ref every time he gets touched. It's not helping!

Mast is ok considering the time off. Tominaga needs to just accept that opposing teams are going to be physical with him and he's not going to get every ticky-tack call. He has to keep playing and not hold his arms up to the ref every time he gets touched. It's not helping!
I feel like the Huskers spend a huge amount of time and energy trying to get Tominaga open for threes off the curl, and every opponent knows it’s coming. Need to find other ways to get him open, on different spots on the floor, instead of playing right into the scouting report.

I feel like the Huskers spend a huge amount of time and energy trying to get Tominaga open for threes off the curl, and every opponent knows it’s coming. Need to find other ways to get him open, on different spots on the floor, instead of playing right into the scouting report.

Agree. They need to reverse their strategy for Ninja. Start off getting him plays cutting to the hoop and driving in the lane. He is good at those and would open up his 3 point shots after seeing the ball go through the hoop from the paint. He seems to be forcing his 3s.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT