ADVERTISEMENT

Home schooling...

i complain about the homework my kids are supposed to do. they usually don't do it.

what you've described seems miserable. do you dock points for them not doing assignments?
Rarely. I am not a super "progressive" teacher but i always accept late work and if I take points away it might be like 1 point. But I believe that most of my students try to get their stuff turned in to me on time. And they do. I have very few late assignments and most of the time they will email me letting me know about it ahead of time.

In the real world, things happen, there are times when you might need another 20 minutes or a day to get something done.

When I go to the dentist for a 1pm appt and I sit there until 1:10, I don't freak out and get all mad, so I don't do the same to my students.

I think we should remove the truancy laws. school seems more like a coerced punishment than a benefit to me (that's just my experience with school).

let those who want to be there be there, and let everyone else go to work.
Well, we did have it that way. And then the WWI draft hit and we found out that none of the farm boys could read or write.

You learned way more in school than you probably want to admit. Do you use it all? Of course not.

Reactions: SeaOfRed75
Rarely. I am not a super "progressive" teacher but i always accept late work and if I take points away it might be like 1 point. But I believe that most of my students try to get their stuff turned in to me on time. And they do. I have very few late assignments and most of the time they will email me letting me know about it ahead of time.

In the real world, things happen, there are times when you might need another 20 minutes or a day to get something done.

When I go to the dentist for a 1pm appt and I sit there until 1:10, I don't freak out and get all mad, so I don't do the same to my students.

right on. i don't believe in homework, how many folks' jobs require work outside of work hours? seems like only salaried people have to worry about this. i don't think homework really prepares children for the real world (i understand that you don't have a say in this). it gets me frustrated when instructors give out homework (again, i understand that you don't get to decide this).

Well, we did have it that way. And then the WWI draft hit and we found out that none of the farm boys could read or write.

You learned way more in school than you probably want to admit. Do you use it all? Of course not.

shouldn't be coerced is my point, which it currently is.

right on. i don't believe in homework, how many folks' jobs require work outside of work hours? seems like only salaried people have to worry about this. i don't think homework really prepares children for the real world (i understand that you don't have a say in this). it gets me frustrated when instructors give out homework (again, i understand that you don't get to decide this).
Yeah, I get this line of thinking. It also might depend on what you consider HW to be?

I teach a senior class and I give zero HW, everything we do is done in class.

Now, the idea that HW is not helpful well, sure I can see that. But if you played basketball you would probably shoot hoops on your own time to get better, right?

Reactions: Jaemekon
There are many jobs that require work outside of work hours (mostly salaried as you note, but also medical professionals/attorneys/salepeople, etc.). There's many advantages to the proper amount of homework IMO. Learning to manage time. Figuring out stuff on your own. Accountability for assignments (which they will likely have some day). It shouldn't be overboard but some homework is good IMO.

Yeah, I get this line of thinking. It also might depend on what you consider HW to be?

I teach a senior class and I give zero HW, everything we do is done in class.

Now, the idea that HW is not helpful well, sure I can see that. But if you played basketball you would probably shoot hoops on your own time to get better, right?

right, but basketball is optional. a person is incentivized to get better (if they want to play). homework is an obligation, other than punishment, there isn't much of a reason to do more school work.

it's good that you don't give out homework.

Reactions: Streamer15
There are many jobs that require work outside of work hours (mostly salaried as you note, but also medical professionals/attorneys/salepeople, etc.). There's many advantages to the proper amount of homework IMO. Learning to manage time. Figuring out stuff on your own. Accountability for assignments (which they will likely have some day). It shouldn't be overboard but some homework is good IMO.

right salespeople generally work on a commission system, i don't know much about medical staff i assumed they get paid thousands of dollars to show up for a few hours a day, i thought attorneys were generally salaried (but similar to sales are incentivized to work more through commissions essentially, I'm not a lawyer, i don't know for sure).

i had other things i needed to do outside of school, arbitrary school work isn't/wasn't beneficial. maybe for kids with no life it is good in some way. everyone shouldn't be punished for their lack of life, in my opinion.

school takes up enough time that should be able to get all their work done at school. if they can't figure it out, maybe it's time to reassess their value.

I think we should remove the truancy laws. school seems more like a coerced punishment than a benefit to me (that's just my experience with school).

let those who want to be there be there, and let everyone else go to work.
Without a doubt, there is a percentage of students who don't want to be in school. They lack being attentive, motivated, and just biding their time until they're old enough to just quit school. Fine, but how about this idea?:

When a student reaches age 16, some may want to be anywhere but school, have them take an "exit" test. If they're learned enough and can prove it with a standardized test, maybe they can function in the world at that young age. I was.

Some kids who quit school early are very smart, some kids who graduate high school are also very dumb.

Without a doubt, there is a percentage of students who don't want to be in school. They lack being attentive, motivated, and just biding their time until they're old enough to just quit school. Fine, but how about this idea?:

When a student reaches age 16, some may want to be anywhere but school, have them take an "exit" test. If they're learned enough and can prove it with a standardized test, maybe they can function in the world at that young age. I was.

Some kids who quit school early are very smart, some kids who graduate high school are also very dumb.
Most states, maybe all, I am not sure, all kids to stop attending HS at 16 with parent permission.

With that said.

HS's should team up with trades and create HS apprentice jobs, school half the day and then your apprenticeship half the day, while getting paid, a reduced rate of course, then at 18 they can move right into full apprenticeship and by 21 they can be making 65K a year in their trade.

i think this is a fair compromise.

Most states, maybe all, I am not sure, all kids to stop attending HS at 16 with parent permission.

With that said.

HS's should team up with trades and create HS apprentice jobs, school half the day and then your apprenticeship half the day, while getting paid, a reduced rate of course, then at 18 they can move right into full apprenticeship and by 21 they can be making 65K a year in their trade.

also a great idea.

Reactions: BTF69

With that said.

I suggested something very similar to that in 1970 and people in the high school thought I was full of it. I went to school with kids who were poor students, but great auto mechanics, plumbers, electricians and other vocations. Those kids were just biding their time til they got out of school and could go do what interested them. Some of them just retired in the last 5 years after a very productive career in their chosen fields.

I suggested something very similar to that in 1970 and people in the high school thought I was full of it. I went to school with kids who were poor students, but great auto mechanics, plumbers, electricians and other vocations. Those kids were just biding their time til they got out of school and could go do what interested them. Some of them just retired in the last 5 years after a very productive career in their chosen fields.
Heck yeah, you can make a fortune in those fields.

BTF, why is it such a big deal to answer if you're an educator or not? I'd just like you to clarify what your 20+ career is in.

i think this is the best i can do for you, hopefully this helps...

This is just a guess because I don't do anything with LPS BUT, if there is any remote learning done, snowdays, learn from home, whatever. The school wants to make sure that every student would have access to online education.

Again, no idea if that is what it is. To be honest, I don't totally understand it, I just know that is what my school (Yes, I am a teacher but I promise I am not trying to push my evil agenda on anyone...I am just waiting for Christmas, NOT WINTER, but Christmas break to start)

Nice work! :)

b322b971d8dcd9d5006ede3f13aff4a39cb60983.gif

• Haha
Reactions: BTF69
Nice work! :)
I found it hilarious when I asked you a few hours earlier if you were an educator and you said you weren't. Then you spent 4 or 5 posts avoiding the question with all types of bullshit answers. I knew the answer, I just wanted to see if you'd say it.

I found it hilarious when I asked you a few hours earlier if you were an educator and you said you weren't. Then you spent 4 or 5 posts avoiding the question with all types of bullshit answers. I knew the answer, I just wanted to see if you'd say it.
See! I knew you would find it funny!

then they just stop? what was the point? wasting everyone's time it seems.

• Haha
Reactions: NikkiSixx
I think most people don't realize how drained you get when you fight...15-20 seconds is a long ass time and once you are tired you realize the fight was stupid to begin with.
My old ass still competes occasionally. 4-5 minutes on a mat is an eternity. 30-45 seconds in a brawl would wreck most people.

My old ass still competes occasionally. 4-5 minutes on a mat is an eternity. 30-45 seconds in a brawl would wreck most people.
100% yes!

Shit, I can remember not doing shit over Xmas breaks and then coming back to wrestle after like 2 weeks off and I was a mess.

Throwing fits like that for 10 seconds is draining.

Also, that is what I tell me wife

Reactions: Jaemekon
Exactly what I tell my son. Right now, the first 1 minute I would be absolutely vicious, but by minute 2, I'd be a tamed little pussy cat about to get wrecked.

In a physical confrontation, I'm all for a Pearl Harbor attack.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT