ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeye's Update: January 29th ( Updated w/ Salt Bae )

JoRoWI83

Nebraska Legend
Gold Member
Jun 17, 2004
Their recruiting big board just received a boost. They are now the Co-Leader for the commitment of a player who just recently decommited from NIU.

Go get em guys!

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/1949

To sum up their recruiting hopes..

diving2.gif

Below are excerpts from the two most replied to threads.

Sprinkle it with salt and lets have a giggle.

tenor.gif

Having followed 40 years of FB recruiting

I have always found that these are the years we get the biggest surprises as football players. No reason to think this year is any different.

I remember the year when we signed Chuck Long as a fall back after losing 3 hotshots out of the South and California or when Demond Sanders signed then started playing the next fall and insiders on the Herky email list were being told about this 'Bob' guy who was tearing it up. No one could figure out who it was.

Frankly I trust the coaches aas they have a remarkable track record of identifying late bloomers and developing that talent. Lastly remember a thing that JHF said - you go to war with the guys you got as those are the guys that want to be there.

"#Until

At the end of the day, Iowa will assemble a 85 man roster and compete with Wisconsin, Nebraska, Northwestern, Illinois and Purdue.

It may not always be sexy.

Great to be a Hawkeye ..."

"I've found that the highly rated classes by and large have produced the best players, and sent the most on to the NFL. The staff has struck lightning a few times, but the analysts know talent.
Don't take this too personally, OP, but you seem to be hanging a lot on hope and luck."

Reply:
Correct. There is a reason Alabama and Clemson have played for the championship the past two seasons.

We took a long look at late finds the other day.

These are the Iowa commits that received an offer the last 2 weeks before signing day.

2016 - none
2015 - Eric Graham, Nick Wilson, Garret Jansen, Michael Ojemudia
2014 - Ross Reynolds
2013 - Jonathan Parker, Josey Jewell, Anjeus Jones, Akrum Wadley, Desmond King
2012 - Reid Sealby, George Kittle, Nate Meier
2011 - Dean Tsopanides, Jordan Canzeri, Marcus Collins, Damon Bullock, John Lowdermilk
2010 - Jonny Mullings, Tanner Miller, Anthony Hitchens
2009 - Dakota Getz, Matt Murphy, Micah Hyde, Stephane Ngoumou, Dominic Alvis
2008 - Adam Robinsin, Greg Castillo, Steve Bigach, Casey McMillan
2007 - Allen Reisner, Bruce Davis, Jevon Pugh, Mike Daniels
2006 - Brett Morse (Also DJK, sort of, more due to being a late qualifier)
2005 - Vernon Jackson
2004 - Ettore Ewen, Brandon Myers, Damian Sims, Rashad Dunn
2003 - Khaliq Price, Tyler Fanucchi
2002 - Justice Hairston, Mike Elgin, Jovon Johnson, Clinton Solomon, Dave Vickers

Yes, Iowa has had some late success but I would not view this approach as a "sustainable business model". The late window is really a bad time for Iowa since 2nd semester starts so late. This year there were only 2 2017 weekends for late visits. This is why even a December signing period will at least let the coaches lock up the majority of their class and then use the remaining time until NSD to find a few more player/projects and work aggressively on the next class with early offers, etc.

I truly believe that once this new staff gets named and the 10th assistant also is hired once allowed, we will see a much more aggressive effort moving forward. Honestly, Fleck and Lovie will also force our coaches to improve in this area or lose any regional edge that has been built up over time.

Kurt Rafdal commits to Nebraska

don't feel like this is an Iowa board anymore with you posting so many commitments to other schools

Damn, the hits just keep on rolling in. Gotta take a break from this site for awhile. it's already cold, gray and gloomy enough outside right now. I don't need any more of this kind of disappointing recruiting news to depress me even further today...

In other news, I feel like my dog just got kicked again. I'm starting to get ticked. This is BRUTAL.

bummer

Wow. Momentum ain't going our way coming down the stretch. Sure would be nice to read a positive post about now.

As disappointing (and predicable) as this is, TE is the least of my worries with Iowa football.

I understand it's a kids choice ...but history says if u want to play tight end in the NFL....Iowa is 2nd to no one.

The end of this recruiting season has really been amazing.

So weird...I was told by a bugeater that they didn't need him

( Which dipshit said this... )

Just wait until Oliver Martin announces...

Nebraska graduated their top 3 tight ends. They can sell early playing time. We are loaded at TE. That being said I really wanted Rafdal.

He must have been scared off by the Kujawa commitment.

F me. It would be nice to actually get a commit other than Weiland today.

Really struggling to understand the lack of results since 2015....it's beyond weird.

What's next? Stone stays with Kent frickn' State?

Not disappointed with this one. I am no expert but his film was not impressive. Saw no explosion from him. Good hands but an average looking athlete. If we were recruiting him as an OT I would have been more excited.

I guess new facilities and new OC don't mean to much, so the problem might be the same old coaches lol

Boy, for all the dismissive posts I wonder why Kirk ever bothered to offer the kid a scholarship?

Our staff's inability to close is becoming laughable.

Well our coaches are getting lots of experience in handling rejection.
WTF messages are being said to these guys that we are winning none of these battles. What sucks about this one is word was he of all recruits last week was the one who seemed most likely to commit, so what does that say about the rest of them

Ihmir Smith-Marsette commits to Minnesota

It is 4 pages ( and counting of pure awesomeness )

Whatever BF is selling nobody is buying.

Forget Texas, Florida, and New Jersey. I'm starting to wonder if our staff could get a receiver to commit from Burge

Meh, I'll take the walk-on long snapper we got today.

Christ....
That kid had absolutely glowing remarks about Iowa. Minnesota hops in at the last second and grabs him. Yeah, Flecks no big deal..

Just awful recruiting by Iowa. Down right awful. Can't blame him. I wouldn't want to play in Iowa's offense. Thanks Kirk and Greg Davis.

What is going on should disturb even the most faithful KF supporters. New facilities, coming off Rose Bowl and undefeated regular season and can't close on our 4, 5, 6th choices at positions of need? Very disappointing.

This has truly been the worst ending to a recruiting season I have ever seen, we don't seem to be able to close on anybody except the ones who have no better or equal offers.
It would be awesome to hear from recruits who chose elsewhere what is was about Iowa that they didn't like.
Not trying to start another sales conversation but when I lose a deal that I felt confident in I always go back and ask customer what was reason, most times they will say and many times it was not for reason I perceived it to be.

That's football. Going to bank 10 scholarships for next year. Good thinking.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News