ADVERTISEMENT

Harper Murray DUI

Another one that knows nothing of what they speak. Take a lap also. When it's your daughter and unborn grandson that gets killed by a drunk driver, you'll think differently. Again, this is part of what's wrong with this society.
Yep people are stupid. Sorry for your loss .i lost a brother in a car accident.i saw what it did to my parents. People would always tell me “ I know what you are going through “ i know people are trying to be nice. You have zero clue until it happens to you. The worst thing a family has to go through is the lost of a child and sibling ,people that downplay this are thinking it will never happen to me . Well let me tell you I pray to god it never does. Because your life is never the same.

Side point - totally agree about autonomous driving. Can't wait.

But disagree about more likely equals more dangerous. Your logic here is far too simple.

I'm more likely to die in bed than in my car. Is my bed more dangerous?

There are four times as many murders in all of Japan as there are in New Orleans each year...which is more dangerous?

I'm asking because you floated proportional punishment for speeding and DUI earlier. The reason the punishments are disproportionate is because one is orders of magnitude more dangerous than the other.

Even in terms of what is more likely, I think your logic is flawed. When taking into account an entire population, some outcomes occur more often than others, but that does not mean it is more likely. In my Japan example, I suppose it would be accurate to say that any random person in the world is more likely to be murdered in Japan vs. New Orleans, but who is more likely to be murdered - a resident of Japan or a resident of New Orleans?
Your bed didn’t cause your death.

A resident of japan is more likely to get murdered in Japan than Nola. Reverse is also true.

Much more likely you’ll be killed in a accident due to speeding than murdered in either area though…

You are really overthinking this dude… just probably outcomes and stastics

Stop thinking like a women and accept probabilities

I don’t see anyone saying “it’s no big deal”. What we’re saying is we don’t need to crucify her for it. Pay the fine. Admit your stupidity and get on with your life.
Yeah, that’s what happened with the young man that killed my daughter, her best friend and my unborn grandson (only 1 week from due date btw). His previous stops they just said pay the fine, admit your stupidity and get on with your life. Then his father pulled strings and was able to get it dismissed. Maybe if, as a society, we took these things seriously, my daughter would be alive, my grandson would be in my arms, and my daughter’s best friend’s 3 very young children would have their mother. We don’t treat these instances serious enough in this society. Harper needs help. Maybe she’ll get it. I hope and pray she does. Many of you posting here need help also. I hope you will seek it before it’s too late.

Yeah, that’s what happened with the young man that killed my daughter, her best friend and my unborn grandson (only 1 week from due date btw). His previous stops they just said pay the fine, admit your stupidity and get on with your life. Then his father pulled strings and was able to get it dismissed. Maybe if, as a society, we took these things seriously, my daughter would be alive, my grandson would be in my arms, and my daughter’s best friend’s 3 very young children would have their mother. We don’t treat these instances serious enough in this society. Harper needs help. Maybe she’ll get it. I hope and pray she does. Many of you posting here need help also. I hope you will seek it before it’s too late.
We do take them seriously as a society. I don’t though ever see us going to consequences for drunk driving like Germany. One strike and you’re out there. Zero tolerance. When it comes to personal freedoms we’re still largely the wild Wild West. Hell we have cities and states decriminalizing Schedule 1 narcotic abuse.

Reactions: libbity bibbity
Your bed didn’t cause your death.

A resident of japan is more likely to get murdered in Japan than Nola. Reverse is also true.

Much more likely you’ll be killed in a accident due to speeding than murdered in either area though…

You are really overthinking this dude… just probably outcomes and stastics

Stop thinking like a women and accept probabilities
Would you rather every driver on your Monday commute be speeding...or drunk?

We do take them seriously as a society. I don’t though ever see us going to consequences for drunk driving like Germany. One strike and you’re out there. Zero tolerance. When it comes to personal freedoms we’re still largely the wild Wild West. Hell we have cities and states decriminalizing Schedule 1 narcotic abuse.
No, we don’t. Actions speak louder than words. Our drunk driving laws are an abomination.

Reactions: Zeke2005
"pulled some strings"

To get a guy off who was driving that drunk and killed 3 people? That is crazy, did it not even go to court? Was there no punishment at all?

You dodged a bullet. If he can’t handle the rejection of a job offer without sobbing he won’t be able to hear “no thank you” without curling up into the fetal position in his car.

When I hire sales people - I first tell them they didn’t get it just so I can see their reaction, if they don’t sob in the chair … I yell “PYSCHE!!!!” And offer them the job … it’s a unique approach.
You’re kidding right?

• Haha
Reactions: BTF69
You’re kidding right?
about dodging a bullet? No - dude straight up dodged a bullet.

About having someone new to my organization and my first impression to their new company and me as a leader is playing mental gymnastics with them before they even start? … yeah that part was joke.

• Haha
Reactions: BTF69
Since she’s considered a high profile athlete she needs to pay the fine and do so many hours of community service by going to high schools and telling the kids the hazards of drinking and driving, a little humility goes a long way.

Reactions: Laner2 and OzzyLvr
Since she’s considered a high profile athlete she needs to pay the fine and do so many hours of community service by going to high schools and telling the kids the hazards of drinking and driving, a little humility goes a long way.
There is more to just paying the fine with a DUI. She will lose her license and possibly have to put a breathalyzer on her vehicle. Possibly take AA classes. She shouldn’t be treated any different than the others that got busted in Lincoln that night for DUI.

"pulled some strings"

To get a guy off who was driving that drunk and killed 3 people? That is crazy, did it not even go to court? Was there no punishment at all?
Please reread. I said “his previous stops” is where strings were pulled. He didn’t kill anyone then. Just a garden variety DUI. He’s currently serving 16 years at the penitentiary. Sentenced to 32 years but will only serve half.

Reactions: Zeke2005
Please reread. I said “his previous stops” is where strings were pulled. He didn’t kill anyone then. Just a garden variety DUI. He’s currently serving 16 years at the penitentiary. Sentenced to 32 years but will only serve half.
.22 to the head would have been ideal.

Ozzy, I am so sorry for you and your family. Tragedy, out of nowhere, certainly changes ones perspective.

That guy deserves his 16 years, and is unfortunate more stringent guidelines were not enforced at first one.

As someone that has driven drunk numerous times, and was never caught, thank my lucky stars I never hurt anyone.

She needs to recieve same punishment as any other 19 year old. No more, no less.

I interpreted the mulligan comment more as one saying this should not have any further effect upon her as long as this doesn't happen again.

That is her mulligan in my eyes.

Hunter Teafatiller got 3 at NU, that cannot happen any longer.

Again Ozzy, oh my, I cannot even imagine.....

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Drunk Driving

I'll repeat. Harper needs help and I hope she gets it before it's too late. I'm positive this isn't the first time she's driven at that level BAC. Like many, many others, she has played "Russian Roulette" up to this point and has missed the bullet. This time, the gun fired but missed her head. It's a warning that everyone needs to heed - but sadly won't.

Last edited:
There is more to just paying the fine with a DUI. She will lose her license and possibly have to put a breathalyzer on her vehicle. Possibly take AA classes. She shouldn’t be treated any different than the others that got busted in Lincoln that night for DUI.
This is probably what will happen, being a 1st time offender, she'll probably have the other charges dropped, the dui will stand, she'll pay a fine, her license will be suspended for up to a year, she'll be put on probation up to 2 years and have to drive with an interlock device for the duration of that probationaary period to go along with AA meetings, and possibly outpatient treatment classes will be required as well. This happened to me back in the early 90s. Of course the laws have changed a bit from then, I believe if your blood alcohol content is over .15 she could charged with a felony, but I'm not completely sure about that.

Drunk Driving

I'll repeat. Harper needs help and I hope she gets it before it's too late. I'm positive this isn't the first time she's driven at that level BAC. Like many, many others, she has played "Russian Roulette" up to this point and has missed the bullet. This time, the gun fired but missed her head. It's a warning that everyone needs to heed - but sadly won't.
Do you have sold proof she has a drinking problem? DUI is serious she was lucky nobody was hurt! But don’t tarnish her reputation unless you have sold evidence she has issues

Do you have sold proof she has a drinking problem? DUI is serious she was lucky nobody was hurt! But don’t tarnish her reputation unless you have sold evidence she has issues
i wouldn’t go as far as a drinking problem( unknown) But I agree with OP she definitely has driven like this before if she felt comfortable to drive.

No solid proof. Just going on statistics and our culture. I'd love to be wrong, but I doubt it. I only know that when you are able to operate a motor vehicle at twice the legal BAC, chances are very high it wasn't her first time.

i wouldn’t go as far as a drinking problem( unknown) But I agree with OP she definitely has driven like this before if she felt comfortable to drive.
That's just the thing, alcohol not only impairs judgment behind the wheel, it impairs decision making beforehand as well.

Reactions: Laner2
No solid proof. Just going on statistics and our culture. I'd love to be wrong, but I doubt it. I only know that when you are able to operate a motor vehicle at twice the legal BAC, chances are very high it wasn't her first time.
The drinking problem ( unknown) but I agree on this wasn’t her first time driving in this shape.

You're statistics are probably right, some people have such a high tolerance for alcohol, they drive drunk on a daily basis and think they are just fine, these are called functioning alcoholics and regulars at local watering holes.

No, we don’t. Actions speak louder than words. Our drunk driving laws are an abomination.
Enforcement by prosecutors and judges is more of a problem than the laws. The financial and in some cases social costs to the guilty party can be extremely high. I understand your position but I don’t see us ever going to Germany’s lifetime ban for DUI. Hell we’re letting premeditated murderers and serial rapists out of prison now under the guise of legal reform. 😕.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Enforcement by prosecutors and judges is more of a problem than the laws. The financial and in some cases social costs to the guilty party can be extremely high. I understand your position but I don’t see us ever going to Germany’s lifetime ban for DUI. Hell we’re letting premeditated murderers and serial rapists out of prison now under the guise of legal reform. 😕.
I don't think Germany's extreme is the answer. I'd rather see something at the bar level. Too many times people get served when they are obviously over the legal limit. It's common to go from bar to bar to bar so they can keep drinking. Have people check their keys at the door & they have to blow before they get their keys back. IF they blow too high, they get a cab or an Uber. Might not work but it would save lives. I hear the argument that college kids couldn't afford that. BS. If they can afford to go out & get drunk, they can afford a cab or Uber. No, that doesn't help with house parties but IF there are tougher laws & actions against the people that host a house party, those will get reduced IMO. The things that we're doing, as a society, clearly aren't working & our laws need to work in conjunction with truly deterring drunk driving deaths.

The young man that killed my daughter began his "post-work" activity with some cannabinoids followed by stints at 2 different sports bars. The last bar offered to call a cab or Uber & he refused. IF he had to check his keys at the door & blow a number to get them back, he wouldn't have been driving 102 mph in a 6000 lb pickup on his way home.

Lack of "solid" proof doesn't prevent former HCSF from getting crucified and accused of a drinking problem. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. To my knowledge, he hasn't been stopped and cited. IF I'm wrong on that, someone will post a link. "Hearsay" doesn't go as far as a police citation. But we like Harper Murray and we don't like Scott Frost anymore so it's "ok" to accuse Scott but we can't be concerned for Harper.

Lack of "solid" proof doesn't prevent former HCSF from getting crucified and accused of a drinking problem. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't. To my knowledge, he hasn't been stopped and cited. IF I'm wrong on that, someone will post a link. "Hearsay" doesn't go as far as a police citation. But we like Harper Murray and we don't like Scott Frost anymore so it's "ok" to accuse Scott but we can't be concerned for Harper.
Ozzy,

Please give the girl a break. I imagine she would be quite moved by your story. How cannot one not be?

You nor I have any idea what the circumstances are beyond arrest.

I am glad no one was hurt, and she can go forward.

Just do not do it again.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
As a rule in Nebraska first time DUI, absent any other factors, usually results in this:

-- six months probation (often but not always supervised)

-- fine up or down from $500

-- alcohol education classes once a month for six months (successful completion required)

-- DL impounded for six months.

With a good attorney she should land around those and leave the judicial process with a profound desire to do nothing to reenter it.

I don't think Germany's extreme is the answer. I'd rather see something at the bar level. Too many times people get served when they are obviously over the legal limit. It's common to go from bar to bar to bar so they can keep drinking. Have people check their keys at the door & they have to blow before they get their keys back. IF they blow too high, they get a cab or an Uber. Might not work but it would save lives. I hear the argument that college kids couldn't afford that. BS. If they can afford to go out & get drunk, they can afford a cab or Uber. No, that doesn't help with house parties but IF there are tougher laws & actions against the people that host a house party, those will get reduced IMO. The things that we're doing, as a society, clearly aren't working & our laws need to work in conjunction with truly deterring drunk driving deaths.

The young man that killed my daughter began his "post-work" activity with some cannabinoids followed by stints at 2 different sports bars. The last bar offered to call a cab or Uber & he refused. IF he had to check his keys at the door & blow a number to get them back, he wouldn't have been driving 102 mph in a 6000 lb pickup on his way home.
What time of night (I am guessing) did it happen? I am guessing it was as the bars were closing?

Dang, not even that late. Unreal.
Thursday night. My daughter’s best friend had given her a pair of concert tickets as a Christmas gift. They both had promised their husbands they would be home by 11:00 as they both had to be to work the next day. They were a few blocks from home. A 6000 lb flatbed pickup going 102 mph is a missle. A fraction of a second was the difference between life & death. His BAC was .162 an hour after the accident. He walked away with a broken wrist. They needed dental records to identify my daughter & her best friend. Fortunately, all 3 were killed by blunt force trauma instead of by the fire the impact caused.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT