ADVERTISEMENT

Frost Time Machine Challenge: Go back and find your own initial Frost posts

huskerj12

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Oct 3, 2007
I think about 95% of us were fully onboard with Frost being hired. So this isn't meant to point fingers or laugh, we pretty much all got this one way wrong. It's more of a group therapy session to recognize the incredible gap between our expectations at the time and the reality that has followed. A lot of people now say "it was always going to be a 5 year process, we need to be patient," but did you really say that at the time? Or did you think we were finally saved from our woes and were about to be back on solid ground, like I did? Anyway, here are a few of my posts from 2015-2018. If you don't know how to find yours, just go to "Search" at the top of the page, then "Advanced" and you can search your own posts by date. Let's all share and wistfully toss them into the fire together.

Dec. 2015:
I'm one of the people who wants Frost to be our coach someday, but in my mind it will EASILY work best if Riley succeeds first. Let Riley build up the program right, have some success, hopefully a Big 10 championship or two, or at least some championship game appearances, then when the time comes he would theoretically hand the program off to a simultaneously successful Frost. It's all speculation and it will take a lot of luck and a lot of things to magically work out, but that's the scenario that would be best for a Frost/NU reunion someday.

Sept. 2017:
Just to be clear, I still think we will scrape together 6-7 wins and Riley will be here next year to sink or swim against that tough schedule. But if the nightmare scenario happens and we have a losing record, or something insane like 2-10 then there’s no choice in my opinion. That’s the situation I’m worried about when talking about new coaches, I don’t expect it but that scenario is on the table which sucks. As far as Frost goes It would definitely be nice for him to have another full season to show us if he’s worthy and get more used to managing a program.

Oct. 2017 (oooof.)
I honestly wonder if Frost is pretty much the only guy who can actually bring those people into the modern era. He will not be bringing back Osborne's offense, he doesn't seem to be the type to genuflect at the mention of The 90s, etc. He's gone off and done his own thing and worked in programs that are the definition of modern, and I guess I just have faith that he can bridge that gap at NU that has been so hard for others to do over the past couple decades.

People will give him the benefit of the doubt to implement changes (along with Moos) that finally bring NU into the modern college football landscape instead of constantly trying to recreate our past. Ironically, it's BECAUSE he's from our past that he would receive the patience from those fans to make it happen.

I think THAT is how those fans' infinite patience will show itself, not by just letting him lose for a decade straight.

Nov. 2017:
the program needs a jolt of excitement BAD. Right now our coach is old, our fans are old, our style of play is slow and plodding, and the current UNL students have no memory of anything other than mediocrity. If we're going to get this thing turned around my hunch is that it's going to happen by injecting some youthful energy and fun into the mix.

Yes, the Callahan era tried a culture change, but it was forced and completely botched. Yes, Bo was young when he was hired, but he had the personality of a crotchety old man with blinding rage problems. I think Frost has that younger energy/positivity mixed with supreme confidence in what he's doing and it would do our program a lot of good.

Nov. 2017 (Davison Bonus Post):
I like Davison but if he has some sort of role in the football program beyond an entry level type position or fundraising or something similar, I'll be worried. Maybe I'm missing something but I don't know of any credentials he has that would put him in any discussions as an associate athletic director/overseer for football like Van De Riet. That just seems wild. From what we know about Frost I'd be shocked if it happened.

Jan. 2018:
I fully expect Frost to have our team looking way better than they looked last year, which would result in more wins even with a tougher schedule. Since our roster isn't set up to be a perfect fit with our new offense I doubt we'll hit 9 wins, but the guy was the consensus national coach of the year, of course I have high hopes!

If we don't make a bowl next year, something bizarre happened like all of our QBs got hurt or something. We're gonna see improvement for sure.

April 2018:
Times have changed and the game has changed. What hasn't changed is the need to be on the absolute cutting edge and to be unique, which is what Devaney/Osborne did and what Frost wants to do.

That's why the focus on diet/sleep might be different in a literal sense, but it's the same in the sense that Frost is focusing on the best/newest ideas in the same way the Devaney/Osborne always were. Time has changed what those best/newest ideas are, that's all.

And like you said, the effort, commitment, pride, leadership, etc., is all portable but they'll be formed in new ways in the new era. That's one of the reasons I kind of laugh about the idea of our old-folk crowd seeing the team start doing some of the wackier antics UCF was known for haha. We won't be the purely stoic, hard-nosed, "here is the ball Mr. Referee Sir" team that some casual fans out there assume. It's going to be wilder and flashier and WAY more fun than we've seen in a long long time.

July 2018:
We have a lot going for us, as always, but we have a lot going against us too and credibility/relevance in recruits' minds has been a growing issue the longer we go without having success. Same goes with fan support, if Frost can't make it work here more and more people will think that the game has just passed us by and our decades of success were the result of a special time in history.

If we fail with Frost, with the mountains of credibility from being a native son who went off and had massive unparalleled success on his own, it would be the biggest blow to NU football yet. We got the most talented up and coming coach in the nation, if he can't do it then most other up and coming coaches won't want to even touch the job. We would need to strike gold with a coordinator or small-school coach with a bonkers system or something.

The world wouldn't end and neither would NU football, but I do think this is our last shot to regain a top spot in the national football landscape.

Aug. 2018:
There have been some stretches, especially during our worst seasons, when I just don't have the time/interest to watch many other games, and then I'll catch one and it just hits home so bad that we got SO far behind the top teams.

It's definitely had a sobering/sadly funny effect a few times over the years when you find yourself asking "how does EVERY other team seem like they have a clue what they're doing, and we never do?"

Good thing that will hopefully be changing from now on

tumblr_p5twupaAEZ1t9w2fmo8_500.gifv

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.