ADVERTISEMENT

Fire this shit staff ASAP.

Yep. I drank the kool aid last summer. Loved what I was hearing about Tanner Lee, the offensive line, and the new defense. I am always an optimist before each new season and I think that is a good thing, not a bad thing. A true fan should always want to be optimistic about his team.

But my mind changed as I watched this season unfold. I think that happened to quite a few posters. Even still, I haven't been part of the "Fire Riley now!" brigade and I am on record saying if he goes 7-5 he should be retained. So I am hardly a wild eyed loon. I just think the team looks poorly coached in some key areas and that that should not be happening in year 3. We look like we are regressing not progressing.

But you are very wise not to consult me on anything. I am usually wrong about everything. Ask my wife.
This is what I like your post. You can remain objective about certain topics, but 7-5 doesn't save his job. I was hoping that Brohm would be considered for the coaching job, but after last night performance and letting Nebraska beat them. I will take a pass on Brohm. Matt Campbell should get a serious look, especially what he has done this season.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Yes-if you didn't pick us to lose and/or give up and act like the game was over when it wasn't. I'll respect somebody who said before the game, "I think we'll win, but I'm not sure it's going to mean much". But I can't stand people who loudly and gleefully predicted us to lose and then turn around and say winning didn't mean anything. It means we're better than you thought-but you just don't have the guts to admit it.
I thought Nebraska would lose - picked 21-28 score. It just seemed to be the direction the program was trending.

But I do want to remind you Purdue was at -4.5 at the start of the game. That means Nebraska winning the game was an upset. Against Purdue.

So, are you saying all the odds-makers are “haters” on Nebraska?

I'm not absolving him of or judging him for anything. I'm just happy to find somebody who has some faith in the team because I don't think such people are very numerous on here.
I think attacking people who have little faith in this team is a little over the top. They are only basing it on the product being delivered.

Reactions: HuskerDana
He’s not staying, he’s done. Most of our players aren’t pouring their hearts and souls into the program and that’s part of the problem. You are delusional, put down the bottle and go to bed. Cuddle your Mike Riley doll as you go to sleep. Loser.

He wins three more and he’s back. Two more wins and it will be a tough decision for Moos. Anything less and He Gone!

The victory was in spite of the poor game management by the staff. Not taking the fg late was a questionable decision, but worked out. On the last drive, with no timeouts we were stopped inbounds and NU subbed a wide receiver with a running clock, this caused the ref to step over the ball to let Purdue sub and cost us 15 seconds, in the end it was a great throw and catch, great individual plays to overcome the little coaching mistakes that shouldn't be there in year 3.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Winning is great, but we need to get back to a time when it wasn't enough. We need to have a coaching staff that demands more and gets angry when we don't execute well and lets the players know it even if we win. Can you imagine what Urban Meyer or Nick Saban would be like after a win like this? I guarantee you they would be just as upset as if they would have lost. Heck, Meyer was upset that they gave up so many passing yards to us. He has an uncompromising standard of excellence. TO was the same way. He always pushed players to execute at the highest level. The score of the game was a secondary concern for him.

We are SOFT from the top on down. A few players are showing some improvement but as a team we are showing no improvement and for the HC to say that we are "getting better" is proof of that softness.

This whole thing will take care of itself. After the OSU loss, Riley was left with 4 must wins: Purdue, NW, Minnesota, Iowa. He would be forgiven the loss to PSU (although I don't think an upset of PSU will offset a loss to one of the other 4).

In any case, Riley picked up the first of 4 must wins. That's it. He still has a lot of work to do to save his job. Whether it's good for the long-term health of the program to keep Riley around is impossible to know.

This whole thing will take care of itself. After the OSU loss, Riley was left with 4 must wins: Purdue, NW, Minnesota, Iowa. He would be forgiven the loss to PSU (although I don't think an upset of PSU will offset a loss to one of the other 4).

In any case, Riley picked up the first of 4 must wins. That's it. He still has a lot of work to do to save his job. Whether it's good for the long-term health of the program to keep Riley around is impossible to know.
pretty accurate but I do think a win over PSU and say a loss to Iowa for instance would still save his job as long as he won the others.

Having faith in the team and rooting for the team are two entirely different topics. Would you have faith in a boss that made 4 poor business decisions out of the last 8 that came across his desk? Even though you would root for him to do well, you wouldn't necessarily have faith in him based on his track record. That's how most people on this board view this team and coaching staff.
Winning is great, but we need to get back to a time when it wasn't enough. We need to have a coaching staff that demands more and gets angry when we don't execute well and lets the players know it even if we win. Can you imagine what Urban Meyer or Nick Saban would be like after a win like this? I guarantee you they would be just as upset as if they would have lost. Heck, Meyer was upset that they gave up so many passing yards to us. He has an uncompromising standard of excellence. TO was the same way. He always pushed players to execute at the highest level. The score of the game was a secondary concern for him.

We are SOFT from the top on down. A few players are showing some improvement but as a team we are showing no improvement and for the HC to say that we are "getting better" is proof of that softness.
Couldn't have said it better.

Sorry. Fire them now. Send a message

I think the entire staff should be fired but how do you finish the season if you do it now ? Even if they name frosty the new coach tomorrow he's not coming here in mid season and getting stuck with this mess.

Do we get weslyans staff to fill in to year end or what ?

I think the entire staff should be fired but how do you finish the season if you do it now ? Even if they name frosty the new coach tomorrow he's not coming here in mid season and getting stuck with this mess.

Do we get weslyans staff to fill in to year end or what ?
I should have said, fire Riley now.
But even that is probably just a rash statement made out of disgust at the game as it was unfolding. Probably is best to wait.

So where's all of you haters and cowards who gave up on this team and won't come back and man up and admit you gave up too early? If you're going to act like the game is over, the game better darn well be over before you open up your worthless trap. Man up and admit you gave up to early, or shut the heck up. No excuse whatsoever for pretending like the game was over when it wasn't.

Who are you talking about? Most people on this board are Husker fans so I am guessing they watched the whole game. It is always a good thing when the Huskers win. That doesn't change the fact that last night's game was not a well played game. In fact it was excruciating painful to watch. This team has no direction, no leadership. It doesn't seem like there is not much accountability. The same players make the same mistakes time after time with no consequences. There is never a sense of urgency. This is exactly what a team looks like when coached by a man who barely has more wins than losses. (Hopefully he is almost done in Lincoln and go back home to Corvallis)

Hey here is some trivia. Riley was born in Wallace, Idaho. Wallace is in the Idaho panhandle just east of Spokane. It was famous for its whorehouses that serviced the miners from the nearby silver mines.

Reactions: BigRedLegion
No you still wait until the end of the year but barring some miracle they're gone. We can't run the ball and our defense is terrible. I know we've got a ton of injuries but man we suck.
That is a topic in it self, why all the injuries? It is a constant since Riley has been here.

You can't fire a guy after three years (or less than three years). Let him go one more year, get his own guys in here, and then evaluate where we are. This is expected considering just how toxic things were when he got here. You can't build it all at once. It has to be brick by brick.
Why can other schools get it done right away? Wisconsin comes to mind off the top my head. He was hired same year as MR. They are a top 5 team, we are struggling for .500 season.
Back in my highschool days (20 years ago) Our girls basketball program was horrible. Hadn't been to state let alone won a title in 20+ years. A few years after I graduated they hired a new coach. Almost every year since then they make it to state and have won like 7 or 8 State titles. I come from a town of 800, not a ton of talent to select from then or now. The difference is this coach works with the players he has. He is able to coach players up and get the most out of them year in and year out.
Bottom line good coaches win, they don't need their players, they don't need time, they don't need facilities or good recruiting base. They need to be great coach and work with what they have.

Can't believe I'm even saying this...

But hell, I would take Bo Pelini back at this point...

So glad I decided to stay picking corn so I didn't have to watch this.
No you wouldn't. It's taken him less time to turn YSU into a dumpster fire after he figured out he had to recruit there too. We'd be back to the house of cards two-deep and trying to stop Wisconsin and Iowa with a cover 2 shell the day he returned. If you forgot what it looks like when you stubbornly try to run a cover two shell against teams committed to running the ball, I can dig some clips up for you. Its the definition of insanity.

Why can other schools get it done right away? Wisconsin comes to mind off the top my head. He was hired same year as MR. They are a top 5 team, we are struggling for .500 season.
Back in my highschool days (20 years ago) Our girls basketball program was horrible. Hadn't been to state let alone won a title in 20+ years. A few years after I graduated they hired a new coach. Almost every year since then they make it to state and have won like 7 or 8 State titles. I come from a town of 800, not a ton of talent to select from then or now. The difference is this coach works with the players he has. He is able to coach players up and get the most out of them year in and year out.
Bottom line good coaches win, they don't need their players, they don't need time, they don't need facilities or good recruiting base. They need to be great coach and work with what they have.

I think you should search for the answer to that question BEFORE you search for a new coach, rather than lead with that question as to the reason we should fire our coach.

No you wouldn't. It's taken him less time to turn YSU into a dumpster fire after he figured out he had to recruit there too. We'd be back to the house of cards two-deep and trying to stop Wisconsin and Iowa with a cover 2 shell the day he returned. If you forgot what it looks like when you stubbornly try to run a cover two shell against teams committed to running the ball, I can dig some clips up for you. Its the definition of insanity.

Apparently I like to have $hit come out of my head and type it onto my phone on Husker websites when Nebraska is playing like crap... is it too late to go back and delete that comment? :oops:

I don't think Campbell will leave Iowa State for this job. Why would he?

Frost is my best bet, who Moos will have to outbid Florida for.

YSU is not a dumpster fire right now. They played in the championship game last year and have a brutal schedule this year. They've had a lot of close losses against good teams.

brutal schedule? Hahahahahaha they lost their last game by 30? Hahahahaah....oh stop. my sides are hurting....
They lost to 4 top 15 teams and an fbs team. They also beat a top 10 team and another that was ranked at the time. All of their losses but the last one were close games. It's not hard to imagine a letdown game with that kind of schedule. I'm sure YSU is perfectly happy with Bo's results on the field.

They lost to 4 top 15 teams and an fbs team. They also beat a top 10 team and another that was ranked at the time. All of their losses but the last one were close games. It's not hard to imagine a letdown game with that kind of schedule. I'm sure YSU is perfectly happy with Bo's results on the field.
They played the #2, #6, #10,#12 ranked teams in a span of five weeks.
You don't think that's a brutal schedule?

Really?
One thing I’ve learned on this board is it’s all about the record. Nothing else matters. 5 losses so far this season? I’m amazed he still has a job.

Excuses, excuses. They just got beat 35-0 at home. What's the excuse for that? It never ceases to amaze me how some people can so easily come up with every excuse in the book for other coaches, but can never accept any for our coaches.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Excuses, excuses. They just got beat 35-0 at home. What's the excuse for that? It never ceases to amaze me how some people can so easily come up with every excuse in the book for other coaches, but can never accept any for our coaches.
Are you seriously comparing Youngstown state to NU, the straw is getting pretty thin on the Riley side

Reactions: oldjar07
YSU is not a dumpster fire right now. They played in the championship game last year and have a brutal schedule this year. They've had a lot of close losses against good teams.

Hmmm....haven't heard you say one word about Nebraska's brutal schedule this year though.

Hmmm....haven't heard you say one word about Nebraska's brutal schedule this year though.
Because we didn't have one. We play 3 ranked teams this year, all top 10. The rest are average at best. We still have the tougher part of our schedule left and we have a very small probability of doing better than 2-2.

One thing I’ve learned on this board is it’s all about the record. Nothing else matters. 5 losses so far this season? I’m amazed he still has a job.
YSU is probably done losing this year. I think we most likely have 3 losses left. He made it to the championship game last year. If Riley does that, he gets more time.

I think Pelini gets a lot of unfair criticism on this board because some people hate his personality. His personality doesn't bother me at all. He made it to the FCS championship game in his 2nd year, which is an impressive achievement, yet people still belittled him for it. I don't want him here, but I really don't get all the hate some fans have for him.

YSU is probably done losing this year. I think we most likely have 3 losses left. He made it to the championship game last year. If Riley does that, he gets more time.

I think Pelini gets a lot of unfair criticism on this board because some people hate his personality. His personality doesn't bother me at all. He made it to the FCS championship game in his 2nd year, which is an impressive achievement, yet people still belittled him for it. I don't want him here, but I really don't get all the hate some fans have for him.
Does that really matter? If he’s as good as you say, and since he made the NC game last year, shouldn’t he have beaten some of these teams he lost to?

Quit making excuses and admit hat he’s not all that and this is a sucky season so far with 5 losses. He shouldn’t have 5 losses... you can talk about their schedule but YSU no doubt started the season ranked and should have a much better record.

It’s all about the record.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT