ADVERTISEMENT

Final 17th on Rivals and 19th on 247.

This is not a very good class. Hopefully it will be good with some coaching. We have some guys with raw athletic ability, like the class of 2023. The class will likely improve as we have some bigger fish out there also, but I do like that the staff is finding athletic fast dudes. They can get better with good practice habits, like actually practicing hard and properly… unlike under that clown Frost.
I do feel like we will see some wins this year, and have much more traction in the 2025 class.
Don’t come at me for not drooling over this class… it’s ok. It’s not great. We can close well and pick up a few portal guys in December and it will work out.
Just know that we need to see a 3.3 to 3.6 average star rating to have solid classes.
I understand the staff was hired late last year so I am not worried about them taking who they can this class. If the class of 2025 has a 2.9 avg star rating I will start to worry.

That makes even less sense. He had 10 tds and averaged 7.1 yards per carry his first year at Juco. As a former FSU kick returner who played in every game his freshman year. How could someone not rank him?
Because he came to Nebraska that’s why nobody wanted to rank him

This is not a very good class. Hopefully it will be good with some coaching. We have some guys with raw athletic ability, like the class of 2023. The class will likely improve as we have some bigger fish out there also, but I do like that the staff is finding athletic fast dudes. They can get better with good practice habits, like actually practicing hard and properly… unlike under that clown Frost.
I do feel like we will see some wins this year, and have much more traction in the 2025 class.
Don’t come at me for not drooling over this class… it’s ok. It’s not great. We can close well and pick up a few portal guys in December and it will work out.
Just know that we need to see a 3.3 to 3.6 average star rating to have solid classes.
I understand the staff was hired late last year so I am not worried about them taking who they can this class. If the class of 2025 has a 2.9 avg star rating I will start to worry.
I find it interesting that with Frost, we had really good recruiting starting right away.. and then it got worse as the splash hire started to wear off.

With Rhule, we got some splash hire interest from the whole QB thing earlier, but I agree in some respects that the class is somewhat lacking.

Too early to tell how it all pans out. I would rather see results on the field, as that is the only real metric that matters, but I also don't like seeing Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Rutgers out recruit us in June.

I find it interesting that with Frost, we had really good recruiting starting right away.. and then it got worse as the splash hire started to wear off.

With Rhule, we got some splash hire interest from the whole QB thing earlier, but I agree in some respects that the class is somewhat lacking.

Too early to tell how it all pans out. I would rather see results on the field, as that is the only real metric that matters, but I also don't like seeing Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Rutgers out recruit us in June.
Agree, it is early. I think we will be fine by year 2-3, and the staff is settled into the school, their homes, their recruiting territory, etc. As for this year, I am excited like I haven’t been in years. At least that’s something.

The problem with recruiting for rankings right now is that the upper tier is mostly unavailable to us because we have been so putrid for the last 6-8 years. We can’t change that narrative until we play actual games and win our share. But we can’t pin our hopes for that happening in time to have a big impact on the 2024 class. For one reason, we don’t know how much the win/loss and eye test will actually improve in 2023. For another, many upper tier players will be committed between now and the latter half of 2023 season.

So, our 2024 class will have more projects with upside that needs development than we have been used to. If our staff is good at developing upside that they have skillfully identified, then we will pull out of our tailspin. If not, we won’t.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Rhule definitely has an affinity for track athletes, and developmental players. There's positions that cater better than others to that strategy.

If you're good in evaluation and projecting you can get away with lower rated OL. There's a number of teams with good to great Olines comprised of mostly 3 stars.

Same goes for TEs and RBs. Plenty of great 3 stars if you choose the right guys.

If you recruit a lot of track speed, hopefully you can find some good DBs and WRs.

DEs OLBs and DTs is a different story. We'll need a few highly rated recruits if we really want to compete for conference titles.

We need more guys like Princewill and Cam Lenhardt. Two guys that will likely play early and often.

You don’t think where players we signed were ranked this time last year or the year before is an apples to apples comparison?
I think what he's saying is that we don't know if any of last year's recruits are any good. So using last year's recruits to try and feel better about this year's recruits doesn't really make sense.

I think what he's saying is that we don't know if any of last year's recruits are any good. So using last year's recruits to try and feel better about this year's recruits doesn't really make sense.
That wasn’t the point of the tweet that he replied to though. The Parker dude’s tweet was simply stating that the players Nebraska signed, ended up ranked higher in February than they were in June. If you click on the tweet and actually go read that guy’s stuff, he actually went back a few classes and did the same evaluation. The results were similar.

Now some will have the opinion that those classes didn’t have talent either and were overrated. I will just say, you can’t have it both ways, you can’t complain that this class is weak based on June ratings compared to previous classes final rankings and complain that previous classes were overrated. It’s a circular argument that can’t be proven.

The Parker dude simply took the players that eventually signed with Nebraska in December/ February, over a few years time, and showed how many were rated at this point in the recruiting cycle.

If I compare my gross sales in June 2023 to my December 2022 gross sales I shouldn’t be surprised that December is higher. So this dude compares year over year June gross sales and shows similar numbers and people don’t want to believe the data.

Frost's recruiting classes had the following rankings: 21, 15, 17, 18 and 41. Hartzog, the kid that popped from Frost's last class, was a 5.5 3*. Coaches whose rosters punch above their weight are coaches who evaluate well and find good football players, well ranked or not.

Name we the last time we had a sub-3* average? Even Riley didn’t achieve that low. Frost was Disappointing. Riley was Embarrassing.

For what he’s being paid and as much hype as everyone has given him (HCMR), one would expect him to at least hold par with his predecessors who were by all accounts epic failures. Why would he recruit measurably short of Riley and Frost? Doesn’t make any sense. He did the best he could with what we signed… just not impressed with what he’s done his first full season.

Are you kool-aid drinkers opining you expect him to improve this team with (according to the best metrics) LESS talented players?

Here’s to hoping it improves…

• Haha
Reactions: HBK4life
Name we the last time we had a sub-3* average? Even Riley didn’t achieve that low. Frost was Disappointing. Riley was Embarrassing.

For what he’s being paid and as much hype as everyone has given him (HCMR), one would expect him to at least hold par with his predecessors who were by all accounts epic failures. Why would he recruit measurably short of Riley and Frost? Doesn’t make any sense. He did the best he could with what we signed… just not impressed with what he’s done his first full season.

Are you kool-aid drinkers opining you expect him to improve this team with (according to the best metrics) LESS talented players?

I’m asking this question simply because I don’t know… do the unrated players count and bring us below a 3 star average? If so, once these players get rated we should be above 3 star average…

Reactions: headcard

It's June. You continue to sound miserable. What a life you lead.

I don't like our avg star rating.. we should not be under 3.0
That will change as some of these guys get more complete evaluations. Prude for instance is going to blow up after his camp performance I believe. IF this was some of our previous staffs taking a bunch of unranked kids I would be more concerned. These kids have verified measurables.

Agree. It’s not a very good class. Rhules finding out he’s not in Texas anymore. Leftovers in TX (tier2) is very good, but we’re going to get tier3/4 it’s not good. Unfortunately, he’s already mentioned it’s harder to recruit in Neb.

• Haha
Reactions: HBK4life

You don't think the sub 3 will go up with some more 4 stars? Buford and Danny will be 4 stars. Hall is a 4. Carter is a 4. C'mon dude. It's June. Are you going to turn away a great legacy punter because his 2 star rating hurts our average? Lol

Last edited:

You need a drink my man. No one is saying we are going down the drain, and even the realists admit it isn’t some killer class so far. It is what it is. For me, the point of my post was that I liked the guys we got and expect a few more 3 and 4 star guys to bump the average up as we fill the class. My point was also that coaching up only gets you so far and we likely need 7-10 four star guys per class to get to where we want to go. Especially with USC and UCLA joining the B1G.
And that said, it could end up being that much easier to land some SoCal guys if they see us playing USC or UCLA every year.

Reactions: Tetonia
Agree. It’s not a very good class. Rhules finding out he’s not in Texas anymore. Leftovers in TX (tier2) is very good, but we’re going to get tier3/4 it’s not good. Unfortunately, he’s already mentioned it’s harder to recruit in Neb.
I'm going to withhold judgment for now, but I'll admit I did have the same basic concern about the Rhule hire: the Baylor job - recruiting for a Big 12 Texas school that played against Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, and TCU every year - did not seem at all similar to the Big 10 Nebraska job.

I'm going to withhold judgment for now, but I'll admit I did have the same basic concern about the Rhule hire: the Baylor job - recruiting for a Big 12 Texas school that played against Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, and TCU every year - did not seem at all similar to the Big 10 Nebraska job.
He recruited the same caliber of kid at Baylor. He wasn't beating Texas, OU, A&M or anyone poaching Texas from the SEC or even the big boys of the Big Ten. Yet they won games.

I have zero data to back this, buuuuuut, bringing in more local kids should lead to more continuity and less roster turnover. Year 2 and 3 kids in Rhules system will only continue to make this program better. Using the portal to augment a roster vs flip it every year will lead to better things IMO. And of course I want more 4 and 5 star kids from the jump, but we aren’t UGA or Bama right now, despite what everyone is hoping to see.

Top 25 and top 20 team recruiting ranks for NU during the Frost regime. From 2019-2021, 4* or better recruiting busts include NPG, Jackson Hannah, Nance, Green, Betts (tbd), Manning, Nadab Joseph, Smothers, Morrison, Henry Gray, Keyshawn Green, Francois, Fleming, and Ho'ohuli. There were also plenty of 3* kids that weren't really P5 football players.
Frost's classes were well regarded, but never panned out on the field. Part of this was coaching/practice habits, But it's not like any of these kids tore it up at their next stop, although some still have a chance to pop.

Reactions: Laner2 and jteten
I have zero data to back this, buuuuuut, bringing in more local kids should lead to more continuity and less roster turnover. Year 2 and 3 kids in Rhules system will only continue to make this program better. Using the portal to augment a roster vs flip it every year will lead to better things IMO. And of course I want more 4 and 5 star kids from the jump, but we aren’t UGA or Bama right now, despite what everyone is hoping to see.
If NU wins some games that matter this year, it will get more blue chip prospects kicking the tires. However, Frost had access to plenty of talent, at least per the evaluating services, but could do nothing with it.

I think this makes sense.

I also have nothing to back it up but I would guess the farther you go from "home" the higher % of leaving that program.

Reactions: Laner2
it's going to be so nice to go into a season with a near-complete class

great foundation and gives the staff a chance to identify areas of need + blue chippers to take big swings at

also a real opportunity to focus attention on 2025 class
If we land 4 stars Carter and Brix and maybe a RB like Lacy?
LUlvB-.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT