ADVERTISEMENT

Excitement for the season lowest I've seen

Red_Symptoms

Redshirt Freshman
Oct 30, 2016
Granted, I'm only 40 years old and maybe some of the fans that are older may have different perspective; but I've never seen such a lack of excitement for the beginning of the Husker season. This is from conversations with friends, strangers and message boards. It's sad to see the program decline to this point.

You need new friend and to meet smarter strangers.

I think people are confusing excitement with the team with confidence in the team. I can see that. I think most are pretty excited, they just arent talking shit at the normal levels. Plus you have a boatload of doom and gloomers who have really dampened a lot of the normal chatter.

These are my opinions.

Last edited:
Granted, I'm only 40 years old and maybe some of the fans that are older may have different perspective; but I've never seen such a lack of excitement for the beginning of the Husker season. This is from conversations with friends, strangers and message boards. It's sad to see the program decline to this point.
Just in the past two days there have been several good topics of discussion and some friendly back and forth with a couple of Iowegians. New DC in Diaco with new schemes. The players appear to be excited about that. Langs and Riley get to take much, much better advantage of the offense they run. People have different takes on how things might play out but for the most part I think folks are positive about things. I think most of us are excited for Saturday.
I am sure if I lived in NE, I would be having conversations about the team with friends and relatives.

Nonsense. This is nothing less than confirmation bias. You are projecting your own feelings and seeking out only those who agree with you. About the most lying, worthless post I've ever seen on here. Not even close to what I'm experiencing. If everybody around you really agrees with you(which I really doubt), maybe you need to get out of the bubble of people that only agree with you all the time. Seems like every year some attention-whore jerk posts this nonsense.

Nonsense. This is nothing less than confirmation bias. You are projecting your own feelings and seeking out only those who agree with you. About the most lying, worthless post I've ever seen on here. Not even close to what I'm experiencing. If everybody around you really agrees with you(which I really doubt), maybe you need to get out of the bubble of people that only agree with you all the time. Seems like every year some attention-whore jerk posts this nonsense.
He's probably an Iowa fan, because that is what they do and they think it is funny

I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm excited to see what a potential pro Q B looks like behind center. I'm jazzed for our new D, and can't wait to see who emerge as our playmakers.

We get the stinking badgers at home, the buck nuts at home, a chance to stick it to Iowa, and a chance to prove Pedo st is out little bitch

I'm cautiously optimistic. I'm excited to see what a potential pro Q B looks like behind center. I'm jazzed for our new D, and can't wait to see who emerge as our playmakers.

We get the stinking badgers at home, the buck nuts at home, a chance to stick it to Iowa, and a chance to prove Pedo st is out little bitch

I think that's exactly what it is, cautious optimism. Could be a good year, could be 7-5 disappointment. Team is very unknown and think everyone is in a wait and see type of mode. Board will be bananas if Lee lives up to the hype and the D pitched anything close to a shutout.

Schedule this year is more challenging, but I think if we get better Oline play (and we should), and Diaco fields a better defense, we can be in any game we play. Compare the 2-deep on D from last year to this year. We lost Dzuris, Maurice, MRI, Bando and Gerry. Our Dline starters this year are arguably more athletic. I think that is also true at LB, although a healthy Bando would be nice to have around. Kalu for Gerry, at least Josh is interested in being on the team.

Believe the 70 thousand + at the spring game would beg to differ.

I don't post much in the preseason because my predictions aren't usually very accurate. But that doesn't mean I don't care about the upcoming season.

I think it's fair to say this board might not be as lively, but overall I don't think Husker fans enthusiasm has dimmed much from the last several seasons.

Reactions: elvis1403
Dude, I am seriously stoked to see the new stuff play out. Also, while I'm not going to issue any predictions (Tuco had a good rationale for why it's really stupid to do that before the season even starts, considering how every single team has roster issues and injuries that will just occur as the season goes on that can dramatically impact how things turn out), I think 7-5 is pretty realistic and 8-4 would be a "success" as a season. I think this because there are a LOT of new parts being installed and run, and our schedule isn't the worst ever but it certainly is harder than last year.

Reasons to be cheerful:

1.) O-line depth is finally 2 deep and we've got mostly scholarship guys on it. That means we should expect to see significantly better O-line play, which helps.

2.) The 3-4/Diaco's Unforgettable Fire/the long awaited return of Nebraska Blackshirt defensive savagery. It's scheme, it's understanding, and most importantly, it's m-f-ing attitude.

3.) We have some very hard games (tOSU, Ped State, Wiscy, Oregon), but we have plenty of games we should walk away winning handily (Ark St, NIU, Purdue, Illinois, Rutgers, Minnesota, Northwestern oh look I just named 7 wins).

4.) Tyjon Lindsey. In action.

All we really need to do is win the games we should, win a rough one against Iowa, and then beat either Oregon or Wisconsin (or both, drool) and I'd call this season a huge success. People are going to screw things up, there will be adjustments, our WR depth kinda sucks, and honestly Corner may be a bit of a concern depth-wise, but that's about it.

Reactions: headcard
In my circles there is a ton of optimism. A real QB, talent that seems to be finally flipping the roster, and the biggest thing is not having Dylan Utter at center. There are quite a few things to be pumped about. The season needs to play out, but there is talent, a lot better depth, and enthusiastic coaches. GBR

Reactions: c3ntral08
I don't mind the preseason predictions, you just have to take them with a grain of salt. If Northwestern RB Jackson gets injured, that team becomes less formidable and I would assume their record is probably 2 games worse without him. So if I think Northwestern is a 7 win team with Jackson, I would say they are a 5 win team without. Or if they lose him in week 10 with a 7-3, I could see them losing to Minnesota and Illinois.

The Oline is still taking a beating in terms of expectations, but last year we were starting three walkons at times, one whose accomplishment was that he had been around for several years. The RS frosh just were ready. And knock on wood, the upperclassmen on the line are heading into the first game healthy and ready to go. The depth is still young, but there has been competition for those spots. If injuries do occur, Cav has some options. Conrad can swing out to tackle, Wilson can come in for Farmer or Foster. I feel a lot better about the line.

Reactions: headcard
Lee Barfknecht is that really you ???

I guess I'm always excited, this is the only team I'm truly invested in as a fan. I follow the Chiefs/Bulls/Royals but NU football is the only team I feel like I have any real connection to (unless I'm betting on a team...whole 'nother story). Even when I know the team is going to be rough (2004) I'm still ready for Husker football.

My "circle" thinks the team will be anywhere from a 7 to 9 win team and while that doesn't "excite" anyone as far as results are concerned it is just a reality about where this program is at. People just want to believe they are about to make some headway back to relevance. (This won't happen until they are vastly improved on the LOS)

In the Mike Riley era they are tied for #51 in winning percentage. Since TO that number is 24......so, post TO this is a top 25 team, no more no less. It's been 15 years since they have had less than 4 losses and have not put any hardware in the case since last century. Their winning percentage against top 25 teams since TO left is about .34........ It just is what it is.

I'll always be excited but I don't expect anything "special" i.e. national relevance.
GBR

I'd say excitement is being confused for high expectations. The expectations are pretty low this year, except for some of the "optimists" out there.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
I probably haven't been this excited for Husker football since probably after that '09 season. I thought we were back, mainly because I was told so.

I'd say excitement is being confused for high expectations. The expectations are pretty low this year, except for some of the "optimists" out there.
I count tOSU, Ped St, Wisc, Iowa and OR as in contention, MN and NW as possibles. That's 7 teams. If we win the last two and go 1-4 in the first 5 we end up 9-4. That is likely but not very satisfying. Best Iowa and say Wisconsin or OR and then it's 9-3. That is also likely and is satisfying.

Count me and a whole bunch of Nebraska fans I talk to as optimists. Virtually no one I talk to has low expectations. But then, maybe I suffer from association bias. Every year after the bowl game I am optimistic about next season and can't wait for it. Then more often than not I am disappointed at some point during the season. The alternative is being pessimistic all summer, expecting gloom and doom, and maybe being pleasantly surprised. The reason I like my way is I am optimistic for 8 months a year rather than pessimistic. It is the way I roll, but everyone has his own way to look at things, I get that.

Count me and a whole bunch of Nebraska fans I talk to as optimists. Virtually no one I talk to has low expectations. But then, maybe I suffer from association bias. Every year after the bowl game I am optimistic about next season and can't wait for it. Then more often than not I am disappointed at some point during the season. The alternative is being pessimistic all summer, expecting gloom and doom, and maybe being pleasantly surprised. The reason I like my way is I am optimistic for 8 months a year rather than pessimistic. It is the way I roll, but everyone has his own way to look at things, I get that.
Does it have to be either or?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT