ADVERTISEMENT

Does anyone else think Smothers will transfer?

BugsAreQualityProtein

Redshirt Freshman
Sep 14, 2021
I believe he will as I do not see where he fits into a more passing oriented offense. If Frost hired Willy Korn or Brent Davis he definitely would have been QB1 given their offenses.

• Haha
Reactions: SkerInCo
I hope not. We need competition to breed a serviceable QB and win the West next year.
It will be interesting as they’ll certainly bring in a transfer QB. I think whoever the transfer is it will be his job to lose. I don’t think Haarberg or Torres will even be in the conversation to start next year IMO.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Maybe he will go to LSU and lead them to an undefeated national championship while winning the Heisman.
Former United States Secretary of State Hillary Clinton arrives for the opening ceremony of the Generation Equality Forum at the Louvre Carrousel in Paris, France, June 30, 2021. REUTERS/Gonzalo Fuentes

I don't see why he would transfer..he's paid dues, has a new coach known for developing a pitt and steeler qb, will probably have good targets to throw to, and did better against the iowegian defense then I thought he would.
he might not be montana, but he seems on course to do well

I don't see why he would transfer..he's paid dues, has a new coach known for developing a pitt and steeler qb, will probably have good targets to throw to, and did better against the iowegian defense then I thought he would.
He’s bizarro world Tristan Gebbia

• Haha
Reactions: Bjoe_
Why are most posters down on smothers? But yet think haarburger is the second coming of Vince Ferrigamo? I thought he did decent against Iowa for his first start yeah he had a couple of mistakes so does a lot of other first time starters

I think it's largely because Haarberg is more of a prototypical pro style QB. He has good enough feet to move around, but is less of a runner than Smothers with a bigger arm. If, based on our OC hire, were going to move a little more pass heavy, Smothers is probably not as good of a fit. If we keep with the option and mix in Whipple's concepts, maybe Smothers could work better.

Why are most posters down on smothers? But yet think haarburger is the second coming of Vince Ferrigamo? I thought he did decent against Iowa for his first start yeah he had a couple of mistakes so does a lot of other first time starters
I wouldn’t say that I’m down on Smothers, I just question his future given the new OC and potential transfer QB. I think your right to be cautious about Haarberg as we truly have no idea what he’ll be like in a real game. I think people look at his build and think he’s this gunslinging QB with a cannon for an arm.

I think it's largely because Haarberg is more of a prototypical pro style QB. He has good enough feet to move around, but is less of a runner than Smothers. If, based on out OC hire, were going to move a little more pass heavy, Smothers is probably not as good of a fit. If we keep with the option and mix in Whipple's concepts, maybe Smothers could work better.
Yeah I’m just as curious as everyone what direction the offense will take. Even though we hired Whipple it doesn’t mean will run the same offense he ran at Pittsburgh. I don’t think it’s a terrible idea though to go in a more passing oriented offense to attract better recruits.

It would not surprise me, no.

It will also not surprise me to see another 5-6 players leave also that are frosh or sophs. Plus several juniors.

All in all I think we see a huge exodus when it’s all said and done. Counting the several that have already left this season I mean.

It would not surprise me, no.

It will also not surprise me to see another 5-6 players leave also that are frosh or sophs. Plus several juniors.

All in all I think we see a huge exodus when it’s all said and done. Counting the several that have already left this season I mean.
I agree I think there will be more transfers to come this off season. The upside is Mickey Joseph seems to be a heck of a recruiter and should help us secure more transfers and high school prospects.

I believe he will as I do not see where he fits into a more passing oriented offense. If Frost hired Willy Korn or Brent Davis he definitely would have been QB1 given their offenses.
I'm sorry ,but he feels there is too many other QB'S that might take his chance away ,,So be it..He hasnt looked that good in the short time he had and to pass up on a better QB to keep him from transfering is crazy ..We know you never have enought good QB'S and if he's scared to compete,Its better to see him leave and thats just my thoughts on that!!

Not right away, but at the end of next season. Simply does not have the arm strength. He has all of the other intangibles though.

Way too early for this kind of talk. Agree with going through spring ball to see if fit

If he had the confidence of Tony Montana, he would be starting for the chiefs by now. “You f*** with me, you f***in with the best!”

Might have to agree here, need a more proven passing QB for whipples offensive style, hope frost fuses some type of running into the style of offense, The BIG offenses has to run the ball some

Smothers has four years to play (RS plus Covid). Let's say a grad transfer ends up on the roster. Smothers can compete and if he isn't the guy, he gets to be the backup and work on his game for a year, then have three to possibly be the starter. As far as other transfers, it is definitely not a lock that one of them will be better than Smothers.

Reactions: Husker.Wed.
Very true. But the portal has changed the way kids view their situation. "I'm not sitting behind anyone. I'll just go find a place where I can be the man right away."
Which almost never works out except for guys that are already established as very good players. A backup at one school is almost always a backup everywhere else.

It will be interesting as they’ll certainly bring in a transfer QB. I think whoever the transfer is it will be his job to lose. I don’t think Haarberg or Torres will even be in the conversation to start next year IMO.
Haarberg and Torres both have big arms. They both have the ability to fit in to a pro-style offense. I think they will be fine. I wouldn't be surprised if Nebraska signs Brennan and Zach Gibson.

who cares? smothers is not the answer to what's holding us back from being where we expect to be

stay, leave, the playing time at NU should be the exact same - none

Gibson no longer visiting. Leads me to believe they got their quarterback. If it's Brennan, I was hoping they would land Gibson, too. Short term and long term would be nice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT