ADVERTISEMENT

Do Nebraska fans owe Scott Frost an apology?

I think sarcasm. Not sure. Not sure what the 22 season will bring. The schedule is favorable if he can get some things ironed out though. Just go game by game and consider Nebraska’s potential record going into the Michigan game next season. No such thing as an easy win, but a lot of winnable games on the schedule. Just need to close games out and next season could be a turning point for the program.

I'm giving this guy grace....it's the holiday season....i think he means well.....:)
I'll tell you what. IF Whipple was 50 instead of 64 and I thought this was a long term solution, I would be really excited. The thing that concerns me is that Frost is on the hot seat, Whipple is 64 with a house in Phoenix and we're probably going to completely change our offense. That seems like a recipe for disaster next fall. IF we knew Frost had 2 years it might be a dynamite hire for year 2. Not so much for year 1.

I'll tell you what. IF Whipple was 50 instead of 64 and I thought this was a long term solution, I would be really excited. The thing that concerns me is that Frost is on the hot seat, Whipple is 64 with a house in Phoenix and we're probably going to completely change our offense. That seems like a recipe for disaster next fall. IF we knew Frost had 2 years it might be a dynamite hire for year 2. Not so much for year 1.
We won't completely change our O. I think we will change a few things, but it sounds like Whipple is a meticulous game prep guy as well as calling the game. That will take a ton off of Scott. Sounds like he also likes to rep the plays that work and also find 10 different plays in the redzone that work as well and rep the hell out of those. We will see some new things, but I doubt it's a complete change.

We won't completely change our O. I think we will change a few things, but it sounds like Whipple is a meticulous game prep guy as well as calling the game. That will take a ton off of Scott. Sounds like he also likes to rep the plays that work and also find 10 different plays in the redzone that work as well and rep the hell out of those. We will see some new things, but I doubt it's a complete change.
IF they don't change the verbage of the offense it might work. If he goes full scale WCO route trees and verbage it will fail in year one.

skeletor-wat.gif

Reactions: SkerInCo
Trolls are trolls, but if frost can win 9 games next season ill happily apologize. Dont see it happening though

It’s taken some time, but it’s clear that the 2022 Huskers will be a national player with the addition of coach whipple. I think Frost has successfully rebuild the program in his image.
Duuuude, what if you're right??? Worst case, I believe Illinois' 6th best team is still on the schedule. 1-11 seems like a reasonable "floor" for year 5.

I’m sure he will be professional and hopefully be fully engaged - but I agree - at 64 he likely isn’t coaching for his next job or a promotion to head coach. He is getting a huge pay raise and if it works out great if not he can move on or simply retire. I hope he is in Lincoln the majority of the time and while hands on coaching isn’t allowed during the off season there is a lot of “casual” observation and feedback that goes on that won’t happen if he is in Arizona.

As I said I’m sure he will be professional and do his job I just hope this isn’t a “one last adventure” hire

Reactions: countrybob
I think Frost, Whipple, Joseph, and Trev Alberts are fully aware that this is a short term hire. The Pitt forums are saying he was close to retirement because of family issues. Not sure if it’s accurate. Even if it’s not accurate, his age alone makes it a short term hire. My assumption was that Whipple was the right guy to share his wisdom, process, and meticulous game-planning with Frost and Joseph. That gives the opportunity for Joseph to step up as OC in a couple years. Hopefully this staff gets to that point. If they do get to that point, obviously the plan will have worked. On the other hand, this is just an assumption, and I could have no idea what the hell i‘m talking about……. Wouldn’t be the first time.

Good grief.

Whipple just coached a middling 3* QB out of high school to a likely 1st-3rd round pick in the NFL with a middling football program that just won the ACC. Yet, that still isn't good enough of an OC hire? It is a home run hire for what may likely be a 1 year gig. He knows that going in.

Nearly every team in college football runs the same offense of the same RPO stuff outside of a handful of schools. Pitt ran the same stuff we did. We were actually more innovative and looked to run the ball more with more old school option plays. They simply ran their offense better and were very successful throwing it around the yard a ton more.

Does that mean Whipple wants to throw it more? Hell no. He had the QB and personnel to do just that. There is zero chance he has 2AM throw it 40 times a game this year (like he did at Pitt) if he was our OC.

I’m hoping the effect on all of this is that Whipple stays 2 or 3 years and Mickey learns from him then Mickey takes over as OC.

Good grief.

Whipple just coached a middling 3* QB out of high school to a likely 1st-3rd round pick in the NFL with a middling football program that just won the ACC. Yet, that still isn't good enough of an OC hire? It is a home run hire for what may likely be a 1 year gig. He knows that going in.

Nearly every team in college football runs the same offense of the same RPO stuff outside of a handful of schools. Pitt ran the same stuff we did. We were actually more innovative and looked to run the ball more with more old school option plays. They simply ran their offense better and were very successful throwing it around the yard a ton more.

Does that mean Whipple wants to throw it more? Hell no. He had the QB and personnel to do just that. There is zero chance he has 2AM throw it 40 times a game this year (like he did at Pitt) if he was our OC.
this

I’m hoping the effect on all of this is that Whipple stays 2 or 3 years and Mickey learns from him then Mickey takes over as OC.
From what I've read from his former quarterback at Umass, he doesn't ever see Whipple retiring. So this might not be as short term of a hire as we think! Which could be a good thing if it pans out next season...we could use that stability if we're winning after all while MJ learned and takes the reigns later

Reactions: dinglefritz
Scott, I apologize for saying you’re hooked on bath salts during the 2020 Rutgers game and making a joke about pouring out whisky in front of a priest to drink your own piss.

I was drunk and angry. I still support you making this work. Let’s just clean up all the stupid sh*t.

Good grief.

The problem isn't his ability or his qualifications. It's the circumstances Nebraska and Scott Frost find themselves in. IF he comes in and tries to implement a WCO at Nebraska in one year, Frost is screwed. We saw how long it took Callahan to implement it. Everything we've been led to believe is that Frost is coaching for his job next season. I just think a dramatic change in your offense is a risky move for a guy already on thin ice. IF not for that, this looks like a great hire. We'll see how they approach it and if they can weld Frost's offense together with Whipple's. Watson did it so maybe it will work.

It’s taken some time, but it’s clear that the 2022 Huskers will be a national player with the addition of coach whipple. I think Frost has successfully rebuild the program in his image.
A National player ? Extremely doubtful if we win more than 5.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT