ADVERTISEMENT

Diagnosing a defense before the snap so that you know immediately where the ball should go

NebraskaHurricanes

Sophomore
Sep 24, 2006
Gainesville, FL

I am curious where Adrian Martinez is on his average "time to throw" stat vs Casey Thompson. The article above reports Tom Brady takes on average 2.09 seconds from snap to release of his throws and Peyton Manning takes 2.24 seconds. It seems like at Nebraska, we get great athletes to play QB, who are great runners and only good-to-medicre passers. We really need to do a better job developing our QBs better on their accuracy and their time to throw. It seems to me that the only head coach that developed our QBs successfully year-to-year was Bill Callahan, despite his huge ‘elephant in the room’ error in hiring and retaining Kevin Cosgrove as defensive coordinator. I watched American Underdog: the Kurt Warner Story over the break and it seems his coaches focused a lot on staying in the pocket and getting rid of the ball quickly. Kurt developed those skills more or less in Arena football (Iowa Barnstormers) and NFL Europe (Amsterdam Admirals). He displayed those new skills in his miracle 1999 season with the St. Louis "greatest show on turf" Rams.

I went to Nebraska for undergrad when Tommie Frazier took over and Michigan for residency when Tom Brady was there. Tom had that Joe Montana coolness passing in the clutch factor at UM, but he was not a great athlete. Thus, explaining why Drew Henson split time with him his senior year. In essence, the Michigan coaches thought that Drew Henson had more upside potential than Tom. But Tom later developed into the most highly efficient QB in NFL history: "Brady's 80.58 percent rate of passes within 2.5 seconds of the snap also leads the NFL. It's not only safely ahead of the next-closest quarterback (Philip Rivers at 74.56 percent), but it is also the highest rate in the history of PFF's database." I have to assume Bill Belichick is the mastermind in helping Tom Brady develop that skill and he developed that skill very quickly in his 1st season as starting QB in 2001. We need to stop recruitment of athletic option/spread type QBs and focus more on developing efficient passing/running/scoring QBs, like Tom Brady. It is kind of sad that Adrian Martinez really regressed over his 4 year starting QB career at Nebraska. That says a lot about our QB coaching efforts and Mario Verduzco.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News