ADVERTISEMENT

Creighton and UNO ahead of NU in final Capital One Cup Standings

I'm not denying this wasn't a great year for Men's sports at Nebraska, but I would take those results with a grain of salt. Every single one of Creighton's 12 points comes from their 7th place finish in men's soccer, a sport Nebraska doesn't even compete in; and every single one of UNO's 8 points comes from their 4th place finish in men's hockey, another sport Nebraska doesn't compete in.

I'm not denying this wasn't a great year for Men's sports at Nebraska, but I would take those results with a grain of salt. Every single one of Creighton's 12 points comes from their 7th place finish in men's soccer, a sport Nebraska doesn't even compete in; and every single one of UNO's 8 points comes from their 4th place finish in men's hockey, another sport Nebraska doesn't compete in.
So our dynamite 6-1 home record doesn't mean anything?

Reactions: Cornicator
Not sure you can take it with a grain of salt. Neither of those other schools schools field a football team. In fact, (if my research is correct) UNO has only 6 varsity sports, Creighton has 7 while Nebraska has 9. More sports to get points from and they still fell way short.

79th out of 106 (teams that scored) is piss poor showing nationally and that wouldn't fly from the football team's D or O output.....shouldn't fly from the Athletic department as a whole either.

Last edited:
I don't about these rankings very much. If we had an elite men's basketball program coupled with an elite football program, but crap for the rest of the teams, then I would be quite content. Football and men's basketball make the money and draw positive attention from the nation. Yeah, having an elite volleyball is nice. Those CWS appearances were fun. But volleyball, baseball, and the other sports we find in these types of rankings don't make the big bucks and they don't garner much national attention and prestige.

I don't about these rankings very much. If we had an elite men's basketball program coupled with an elite football program, but crap for the rest of the teams, then I would be quite content. Football and men's basketball make the money and draw positive attention from the nation. Yeah, having an elite volleyball is nice. Those CWS appearances were fun. But volleyball, baseball, and the other sports we find in these types of rankings don't make the big bucks and they don't garner much national attention and prestige.

To a fan of sports in general they do matter.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT