ADVERTISEMENT

Carter Nelson

"Dicking around" with track? Love the humor!

But seriously, I'll gladly wait for a 48' triple jumper like Lloyd or a 6"10 high jumper/23' long jumper like Nelson. I like how this staff is looking at multi-sport athletes and kids with upside. Reminds me of the Osborne days where they would scout kids at their basketball games in person.
I kid of course, I love T&F. It seems there was a time where kids were encouraged to focus football to the exclusion of other sports. It's great that Rhule isn't of this mindset.

Reactions: TOMHP and huntered
Would be great to see. I know he’s a great athlete I just wonder if he can’t play as an inline TE, is he really such a threat that they would use him as a flex TE? Are you taking off a WR like Coleman, Neyor, Barney, Lloyd in that situation. If so, is it worth it? Maybe in the RZ?

I’m not saying it’s not going to happen, just asking the question before we’ve seen him play a single college snap in practice from 8 man NE HS FB. Would love to see it happen though.
I think what we might see is him start plays out as an inline TE and then shift or motion out. Now you make that LB or Safety go with him if they are in man and there is your mismatch. I'm with you. I don't think you take a kid like Coleman off the field and put Nelson on there. He is going to have to be a willing blocker also, cuz you can't put him out there if you throw the ball every time he steps on the field. That part will need developed since he never was asked to do that in high school. He's got the ability if he's got the mindset to want to do it and be great at it. For all the receiving accolades Kelce and Kittle get, they are pretty good blockers when they do it. Especially Kittle.

Rhule already said he was going to be "position-less"...lined up all over the offense...TE, WR, Backfield
I am a bit confused by that label. He is listed as a TE and you just labeled him as a TE, WR, and Back. Those are positions. It is all the same thing, they just might ask different things of the position. Lined up at different spots on the field is certainly not a new concept.

I am a bit confused by that label. He is listed as a TE and you just labeled him as a TE, WR, and Back. Those are positions. It is all the same thing, they just might ask different things of the position. Lined up at different spots on the field is certainly not a new concept.

Basically all skill positions other than QB and wouldnt be shocked if he ran wildcat

The positionless was Rhules term

Last edited:
Reactions: HBK4life
People forget what an athlete Wilt Chamberlain was. Talk about a big guy who could move fast, at 7'1" he won the the Big 8 440 yard sprint. How a guy that tall could handle the curves on a track is stunning.
Agreed, dude was a beast

I kid of course, I love T&F. It seems there was a time where kids were encouraged to focus football to the exclusion of other sports. It's great that Rhule isn't of this mindset.
It's that way in a lot of sports these days. And the vast majority of the encouragement to focus on one sport comes from the businesses that profit from it (they call themselves "clubs"). I'll share one true story but leave names out of it. There was a HS club volleyball player who also ran track. Her club coach told her that she could not miss any of her club tournaments to attend track meets because it would hurt her club team's chances of winning and she would be sending the "wrong message" to college coaches. Not long after that John Cook offered her a scholarship. Yet the club coaches continued to tell her the same message and even amped up the pressure. Eventually, the girl asked Coach Cook about the situation and he told her to not miss any track meets. He wanted athletes and well rounded competitors!

It's that way in a lot of sports these days. And the vast majority of the encouragement to focus on one sport comes from the businesses that profit from it (they call themselves "clubs"). I'll share one true story but leave names out of it. There was a HS club volleyball player who also ran track. Her club coach told her that she could not miss any of her club tournaments to attend track meets because it would hurt her club team's chances of winning and she would be sending the "wrong message" to college coaches. Not long after that John Cook offered her a scholarship. Yet the club coaches continued to tell her the same message and even amped up the pressure. Eventually, the girl asked Coach Cook about the situation and he told her to not miss any track meets. He wanted athletes and well rounded competitors!
This is a trickle down effect in schools now.

We have told our players that we understand they are playing club/select and so on and we work with them so that they can make as many games as possible.

We realized that the club/select coaches were poisoning them with the old "YOU CAN'T MISS OUR STUFF OR ELSE" and we were losing players to club/select because they pay so much for it.

Club/select sports are insane. Does a 12 year old really need to play 85 baseball games over the summer and be in 10 tournaments?

We have told our players that we understand they are playing club/select and so on and we work with them so that they can make as many games as possible.

We realized that the club/select coaches were poisoning them with the old "YOU CAN'T MISS OUR STUFF OR ELSE" and we were losing players to club/select because they pay so much for it.

Club/select sports are insane. Does a 12 year old really need to play 85 baseball games over the summer and be in 10 tournaments?
No, but there are hotel rooms and restaurant tables to be filled.

People forget what an athlete Wilt Chamberlain was. Talk about a big guy who could move fast, at 7'1" he won the the Big 8 440 yard sprint. How a guy that tall could handle the curves on a track is stunning.
One of Wilt’s favorite sports to keep in basketball shape was beach volleyball. Imagine him across from you at the net😀 Many people living outside the Coasts didn’t even know what beach volleyball was. Amazing how that sport has grown in popularity everywhere. My daughter in Omaha plays in at least a couple leagues.

One of Wilt’s favorite sports to keep in basketball shape was beach volleyball. Imagine him across from you at the net😀 Many people living outside the Coasts didn’t even know what beach volleyball was. Amazing how that sport has grown in popularity everywhere. My daughter in Omaha plays in at least a couple leagues.
Used to play in a sand league, so much fun. I think we did it for 3 years.

Total blast and a great way to hang out with friends.

As far as basketball the lanes were so much smaller in his day and besides Bill Russel and Nate Thurman there wasn’t anyone close to his size to defend him..

Wes Unseld was only 6-7 and Elvan Hayes was 6-9 but neither came into the league till 68 or 69, so Wilt has very little opposing centers that were big enough to defend him..

Insane athleticism for a human that size. An incredible combination of power, speed and explosiveness. 6-5 guys are not supposed to move that fast.
I hope plays just as soon as he is ready and plays well. Looking forward to seeing him out on the field.

Reactions: huskerfan66

The club industry is alive and well. I spoke with one club basketball coach last week. He said that they have something like seven HS teams (can't remember for sure) and that the players making up the teams on the bottom four levels are not college prospects, a few of them do not even start for their HS team. Those teams exist in order to pay for the salaries of the coaches & keep the club going.

And this humorous tidbit... three times in recent years, two softball teams from the same Nebraska school have traveled out of state in order to play each other in the first round of a tournament. One of the players is a daughter of a family friend, I told her that didn't make any sense. She said, "But we are a travel team. That's what we do. Travel!" LOL!

• Haha
Reactions: BTF69
The club industry is alive and well. I spoke with one club basketball coach last week. He said that they have something like seven HS teams (can't remember for sure) and that the players making up the teams on the bottom four levels are not college prospects, a few of them do not even start for their HS team. Those teams exist in order to pay for the salaries of the coaches & keep the club going.

And this humorous tidbit... three times in recent years, two softball teams from the same Nebraska school have traveled out of state in order to play each other in the first round of a tournament. One of the players is a daughter of a family friend, I told her that didn't make any sense. She said, "But we are a travel team. That's what we do. Travel!" LOL!
I like how there are a bunch of "select" teams in the same area...I mean...that is not so select.

Years ago my brother came home from BB tryouts and I asked him what team he was on...he said "I am on B2" and I said, what the heck is that...he told me that there were 3 teams...A-B1-B2

I died laughing and told him "Dude, you are on the C team!!!"

I like how there are a bunch of "select" teams in the same area...I mean...that is not so select.

Years ago my brother came home from BB tryouts and I asked him what team he was on...he said "I am on B2" and I said, what the heck is that...he told me that there were 3 teams...A-B1-B2

I died laughing and told him "Dude, you are on the C team!!!"
I remember my parents not having the money for “select”, and our ralston club team was way better than most select teams .. we had a bunch of good ball players

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT