ADVERTISEMENT

Calling it now: Mike Gundy will be the next head coach at Nebraska.

30BringsTheHurt

All-American
Nov 27, 2004
Just a hunch. He achieved pretty much all there is to achieve at OSU. Will end the year in the top ten and is coming off a big bowl win against the Domers. The Big 12 faces a diminishing future and he'll be looking to take a next step. We will be the ones to give him the opportunity. Better or worse, I could see that happening.

Just a hunch. He achieved pretty much all there is to achieve at OSU. Will end the year in the top ten and is coming off a big bowl win against the Domers. The Big 12 faces a diminishing future and he'll be looking to take a next step. We will be the ones to give him the opportunity. Better or worse, I could see that happening.
So are you calling it or is it just a hunch?

Reactions: Can o' corn
Great coach but question how much has he has left in the tank. Would work for me but I hope it doesn't happen.

Or maybe the coach of a different Cowboys team?

I wanted him when Riley was hired. I think he signed a big long term contract with a huge buyout this past season so very doubtful.
Give me Aranda any day all day if you can outpay the Baptist’s. Great young coach, person and family man.

One of his greatest abilities is to hire very good assistant coaches. He obviously knows what he is looking for when hiring and breaks them in right.

We could probably do a lot worse. Oh wait......

Reactions: baseball31ne
If you’d said that when Holder (& Pickens departure) was still A.D., then yes, there was an opening.
The problem was he’s been acting out (im talking about long after the ‘I’m a man, I’m 40’ routine) in very odd ways that aren’t becoming of a head coach.
That relationship (behavior) has settled with the regime change.
He’s had significant assistant turnover and has managed it quite well.
More importantly, he’s brought some significant talent to Stillwater, and while the campus is nice - the town is a dump (scenery is however, surprisingly very nice!).

No successful Power 5 head coach is leaving to take the Nebraska job. A lot of lower-level head coaches wouldn't even take the job.

If Trev fires Frost next year, he will either promote Joseph, or hire a coordinator from a more successful program.
Do people think Joseph is ready to be the guy?

I would be fine with that weirdo coaching the Huskers. His team's consistently win. They never fall off a cliff.

He may have interest. According to sources he or his agent sent some form of communication stating his interest in the Florida job. Obviously Napier was hired, but I did find that story interesting. Seems like he has a good stable job in Stillwater. I know for sure he would be on the hot seat without him picking up his recruiting. That was the main draw to Napier.

No successful Power 5 head coach is leaving to take the Nebraska job. A lot of lower-level head coaches wouldn't even take the job.

If Trev fires Frost next year, he will either promote Joseph, or hire a coordinator from a more successful program.
I’m all for Joseph after seeing his press conference.

Reactions: Yantzeee
U6Tn.gif

He is the best Head Coach in Oklahoma State's history. He has done much more at OSU than Jimmie Johnson ever did at OSU. I wouldn't mind a bit if he was our Head Coach. Personally I think if Frost doesn't work out that Mickey Joseph will have a good chance of being the next HC though.

My son played against his son's baseball team a couple years ago. I wasn't there by my wife said he cut quite a figure with his mullet and bedazzled jeans. I'd love to have him but he'd be an odd fit in stodgy Nebraska.

My son played against his son's baseball team a couple years ago. I wasn't there by my wife said he cut quite a figure with his mullet and bedazzled jeans. I'd love to have him but he'd be an odd fit in stodgy Nebraska.
Why is this even an idea?? He's a former Okie Lite QB Alumni. He is happy where he is at. Stop this BS.

Edit: OP is so full of bullshit...

I think he's a good coach and done a lot with few resources, but not sure why he would be looking to Nebraska.. if anything, the SEC makes a heck of a lot more sense..

He knows that once OU and UT are gone, his world is going to get a lot more difficult, as it will for the rest of the big 12.. so it makes sense for him to look for somewhere else, but I don't think he fits in culture wise here or in the big ten.

I’m all for Joseph after seeing his press conference.
I mean outside of his few years at LSU under coach O who just got fired..his resume is super unimpressive.

I know he is a former Husker, but we gotta be able to do better at HC than Mickey Joseph or else we are in deep sh^t.

He is the best Head Coach in Oklahoma State's history. He has done much more at OSU than Jimmie Johnson ever did at OSU. I wouldn't mind a bit if he was our Head Coach. Personally I think if Frost doesn't work out that Mickey Joseph will have a good chance of being the next HC though.

^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^ Now this is an example of our local one sided media at work and it is dangerous.. With their constant praising of everything Mickey J and how wonderful of a coach he is..

Tell me why on earth would Mickey Joseph be a good replacement HC at NU? Have u even looked at his resume, or know anything outside of a couple of years ad an asst coach at LSU?

Cuz outside of his couple of years at LSU, his resume is super unimpressive..

There is really nothing on his resume that shouts it to me "hire this guy as the next HC at NU".

Seriously, go look at his resume and get back to me....

BTW don't mean to call u out or anything, just have seen a few too many "Micky J as next coach" posts, and it is kinda scary to me, and I think it is primarily driven by our local media and their narratives..which are not always aligned with what's actually best for the program all the time...

Last edited:
^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^ Now this is an example of our local one sided media at work and it is dangerous.. With their constant praising of everything Mickey J and how wonderful of a coach he is..

Tell me why on earth would Mickey Joseph be a good replacement HC at NU? Have u even looked at his resume, or know anything outside of a couple of years ad an asst coach at LSU?

There is really nothing on his resume that shouts it to me "hire this guy as the next HC at NU".

BTW don't mean to call u out or anything, just have seen a few too many "Micky J as next coach" posts, and it is kinda scary to me, and I think it is primarily driven by our local media and their narratives..which are not always aligned with what's actually best for the program all the time...
Settle down with the obsession with the resume. Check out Dabo’s prior to being promoted to HC.

Sometimes you gotta trust your gut over your head. When you see a leader you know it, and he’s a leader. If you haven’t watched his intro presser I recommend you do.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

“Our local media?”
Are you a Purdont fan, or what?

Settle down with the obsession with the resume. Check out Dabo’s prior to being promoted to HC.

Sometimes you gotta trust your gut over your head. When you see a leader you know it, and he’s a leader. If you haven’t watched his intro presser I recommend you do.
Lol yes ignoring a coaches resume for your gut feeling. That is exactly the right strategy for hiring our next coach after 22 years of not winning a conference title

Lol yes ignoring a coaches resume for your gut feeling. That is exactly the right strategy for hiring our next coach after 22 years of not winning a conference title
The most successful people trust their instinct. Life isn’t a math equation, and I say that as a math person myself.

By the way I never said ignore the resume. Mickey has a ton of football experience. We’re not talking about hiring some random guy off the streets, but you also don’t need to check a bunch of specific boxes to get the right guy. When you know, you know.

Reactions: leodisflowers
Gundy is a really good coach. That being said, I highly doubt he would come here no matter how much money the university/boosters throw down.

I doubt any big name comes here to coach football. We’ve never really had a big name coach. We’ve had guys that made big names for themselves after coaching here however.

Reactions: cyclone59
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT