ADVERTISEMENT

Calipari and his excuses

dacred

Redshirt Freshman
Dec 11, 2002
Funny how he can spin everything...chink in the armor crap. Like the gal says, he prides himself on how he runs his program but when his players don't show any class, "awwww,. they are just young kids". Well. this was a teachable moment and you dropped the ball...man up and admit it.
chairshot.r191677.gif

Maybe I am old school but that was bush league.

Typical

Overall I agree. Still surprised he is going to the hall of fame. Seems more flash than substance when his whole career is taken together. He is a good coach and great recruiter.

Originally posted by baseball31ne:
Still surprised he is going to the hell of fame.
FIFY

Calipari is a slime. There's no gray area here. He's a win at all cost type of coach. Yes, he is a good coach. Not a good person.

He can coach my team any day of the week. He gets a pile of superstars to play selfless and as a team. The only reason folks don't really like him is because he doesn't coach his or her favorite team.

Dude was born to coach college basketball at the highest level. I'm glad they lost, but it wasn't because he is a dick or a bad coach. in the tourney, the best team in the nation often lose......very often.

Originally posted by ssmith84:
So you have no evidence of him being a bad person other than "cause you said so",

Lolololololololololol
Posted from Rivals Mobile
You mean other than his UMASS and Memphis programs being placed on probation?

Violating NCAA rules (which he was cleared of doing) doesn't make you a bad person....
Sure it does. We're evaluating him for the head coaching job, not as a priest.

Also you said he's not a good person, not he's not a good person for the job at Nebraska.

I'd say I'm waiting for any support still, but I know you don't have any.

I heard recently that he recruited or tried to recruit a player away from Michigan state or some other big name university by saying "it's a shame you won't be able to play for coach Izzo (or whoever it was) because of his cancer." I heard it on the Dan Patrick show or some other sports radio show.

If true, that kind of makes him to be a bad person in my book.

It is entirely possible I am thinking of someone else, so if I'm wrong please correct me and I will retract my statement.

Exhonorerated of violations, soo where does this leave us?
He is still the only coach to ever have Final 4 appearances vacated at 2 different schools. Tell me he wasn't aware that Derrick Rose was academically ineligible...and I'll tell you I believe in Santa Claus.

Appreciate the clarification, I knew my memory was fuzzy... If true, that's pretty bad. But if it is a questionable story, then I won't push it.

I mean if your criteria for evidence is believing something to be true for it to be true, we can't really go anywhere from here.

Still doesn't make him a bad person if he in fact aided a poor youth, who is talented at hoops, get into college. I mean we aren't crucifying the scoundrels at Nebraska book as bad people for giving supplemental course material to athletes....

Exhonorerated of violations, soo where does this leave us?
Not being held accountable by the NCAA is not the same as being exonerated. O.J. was acquitted, but you can't tell me with a straight face that he was not guilty.

I mean if your criteria for evidence is believing something to be true for it to be true, we can't really go anywhere from here.

Still doesn't make him a bad person if he in fact aided a poor youth, who is talented at hoops, get into college. I mean we aren't crucifying the scoundrels at Nebraska book as bad people for giving supplemental course material to athletes....
What isn't true about 2 Final Fours being vacated? He was associated with 2 programs that can't recognize being in the Final Four during his time. Supposedly someone else took Derrick Rose's entrance exams for him.

Originally posted by Hoosker Du:

What isn't true about 2 Final Fours being vacated? He was associated with 2 programs that can't recognize being in the Final Four during his time. Supposedly someone else took Derrick Rose's entrance exams for him.
exactly. and now he's bumming around with world wide wes.
wink.r191677.gif

as bobby knight said, '"You see we've got a coach at Kentucky who put two schools on probation
and he's still coaching. I really don't understand that."

Smith is right in that in all the allegations Calipari has been involved with, they all were settled. But you know........where there's smoke there's probably fire. Calipari was the coach at UMass when Marcus Camby accepted money, and he was involved with Derrick Rose at Memphis when the allegations over Rose's entrance exams were considered fraudulent. But Calipari and Memphis settled over that, too.

Calipari is a good coach and seems to be some kind of genius recruiter. You wonder how he can recruit as well as he does. I mean. Is something not right going on to catch all the great kids he does? IDK. Perhaps he really is that good. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. But he has come away shady in the past. You can't deny that.

1. Straw manning OJ doesn't do anything to help your argument boxes. Try again.

2. Its true he has been affiliated with two programs that have vacated final fours, but he was cleared in both. So, I'm not really sure why, "I believe he was responsible " is evidence of anything when the NCAA cleared him twice.

3. Even if we pretend for a second that he was responsible, etc. that doesn't make him a bad person, as was the initial claim. Unless you are willing to assert that all NCAA rule breakers are bad people.

People seem to hate almost everyone and everything thing that has as much success as he does. People just aren't comfortable with others being so successful. They always seem to find a way to justify their jealousy of others success. Heck, people hate Duke for crying out loud. How can you hate Duke?

Can you imagine what would be going on in the media if Kaminsky had said the exact same thing about Harrison, Including the apologies, Kaminsky's life would be over, period. Kicked off the team, banned from the NBA. What happens to Harrison? Nothing?

Originally posted by WestCoastCornhusker:

Can you imagine what would be going on in the media if Kaminsky had said the exact same thing about Harrison, Including the apologies, Kaminsky's life would be over, period. Kicked off the team, banned from the NBA. What happens to Harrison? Nothing?
Can you say double STANDARD.

I admire people who rise to the top of their profession and kick ass. Nothing more or less. My dad is my hero, not Calipari, and you made a huge silly leap saying that.

Calapari is slime but you can't name one thing he has ever personally done to make him a bad person?

People love to spout accusations, but it is usually people that have no idea about a particular situation. Most everyone that bad mouths Calipari really know nothing about him or his program. Instead, they just let out nonsense they heard from somewhere else so they assume it must be true. "How can a good coach get all that talent and have such great teams?...must be a cheater."

You go talk to people that cover the Kentucky program in depth, and I'm not talking about fans or local media, and they will have great things to say about Calipari as a coach and a leader of young men.

Very successful people are polarizing, that's for sure, but it mainly stems from jealousy.

Just because you don't get caught doesn't mean that you aren't cheating. Calipari has been "caught" quite a few times. It's systemic, not an anomaly. He succeeds because he can recruit the best players. Mike Krzyzewski is a much better coach than John Calipari. It's not all about recruiting, but for Calipari it is. I don't idolize cheaters. Winning isn't everything, otherwise I'd be a fan of Bobby Petrino.

Originally posted by bigboxes:
Just because you don't get caught doesn't mean that you aren't cheating. Calipari has been "caught" quite a few times. It's systemic, not an anomaly. He succeeds because he can recruit the best players. Mike Krzyzewski is a much better coach than John Calipari. It's not all about recruiting, but for Calipari it is. I don't idolize cheaters. Winning isn't everything, otherwise I'd be a fan of Bobby Petrino.
I know people have asked you this question several times in this thread, but I'll try again, when was he "caught"? Derrick Rose cheated on his entrance exam before he committed to Memphis and Marcus Camby took money from an agent during his senior year at UMass. Please show me in either of these situations how the wrongdoing was done by Cal. The jealousy of fans around the country towards him blows my mind. He is taking advantage of a terrible rule(one and done) but this is not his fault. And any fan of any school save about five true powers who say they don't want him as their coach is lying. Am not a Kentucky fan but can respect the hell out of what he is accomplishing.

Originally posted by huskerlandcat:
I know people have asked you this question several times in this thread, but I'll try again, when was he "caught"? Derrick Rose cheated on his entrance exam before he committed to Memphis and Marcus Camby took money from an agent during his senior year at UMass. Please show me in either of these situations how the wrongdoing was done by Cal. The jealousy of fans around the country towards him blows my mind. He is taking advantage of a terrible rule(one and done) but this is not his fault. And any fan of any school save about five true powers who say they don't want him as their coach is lying. Am not a Kentucky fan but can respect the hell out of what he is accomplishing.
I'm sorry. How am I jeaous? You might as well call me a "hater". That's your defense. Boxes must not like success. The truth is that I don't worship slimebags that cut corners to that end.

Not all of his players are one and done that is a myth. I will say though it takes a hell of a coach to get the studs to change their game for the program and team in a year or two. Hell yeah he gets talent, and maybe borderline in some peoples minds but of he had been found d guilty he would not be coaching.

Originally posted by LuckyHusker2:
Calapari is slime but you can't name one thing he has ever personally done to make him a bad person?

People love to spout accusations, but it is usually people that have no idea about a particular situation. Most everyone that bad mouths Calipari really know nothing about him or his program. Instead, they just let out nonsense they heard from somewhere else so they assume it must be true. "How can a good coach get all that talent and have such great teams?...must be a cheater."

You go talk to people that cover the Kentucky program in depth, and I'm not talking about fans or local media, and they will have great things to say about Calipari as a coach and a leader of young men.

Very successful people are polarizing, that's for sure, but it mainly stems from jealousy.
So judging by this post, you are someone who is in the know then... Rather than someone proving he's a bad guy, why don't you prove he's a good guy?

I hear what you are saying, but his history goes back a loooong ways... Remember John Cheney going nuts on him in a post game presser? Remember UMass and Memphis final 4 appearances being vacated? His nonchalant sweeping under the rug of his team's poor sportsmanship over the weekend... These things are hard to forget. Many have pointed out that, even with all of this, it doesn't implicate him personally. That is true. There are a lot of things he does that I find quite impressive, such as getting tremendous talent to buy into his system at the expense of being THE GUY.

All of this doesn't make him a bad man. But for those who think he walks on water, are you really gonna say those who have something against him don't have a leg to stand on?

I was rooting for Kentucky against Wisconsin while they were playing... But was very happy to see that they lost when I saw their lack of sportsmanship. Go ahead and say that's on the players, not the coaches. Me, I'm gonna blame the coach on this one. Again, it doesn't make him a bad man, but I question his judgment, if indeed he doesn't do anything about it.

EDIT: Now I will say, if he does discipline behind closed doors, and we don't see it but it does happen, then I will respect that. The problem is, we likely won't hear about it.
This post was edited on 4/6 10:30 PM by timnsun

Boxes hate to burst your bubble but I forgot to add, I have a really good bud that knows a recent Duke superstar got 500k to pick Duke. Basketball is prob has more cheating than FB.

Originally posted by planored:
Boxes hate to burst your bubble but I forgot to add, I have a really good bud that knows a recent Duke superstar got 500k to pick Duke. Basketball is prob has more cheating than FB.
Your only proving my position, but thank you for for stroking my rod.

You stated coach K is better he is a f'n cheater so how is that better

Originally posted by huskerlandcat:

I'm sorry. How am I jeaous? You might as well call me a "hater". That's your defense. Boxes must not like success. The truth is that I don't worship slimebags that cut corners to that end.
What I keep noticing is you can't answer a pretty simple question.

If you don't care for Calipari that's fine, I get why people wouldn't, but you don't have to make stuff up in your head to justify it. Calipari's players made some really dumb decisions, but unless Calipari was there egging them on to make poor choices I'm not sure how you can hold him accountable for it. Was it Sumlins fault Manziel took money for some autographs?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT