ADVERTISEMENT

Building a Constructive Narrative for NU Football in 2022 - the misstep of AD Alberts in Public Messaging

NUinnwks

Junior
Gold Member
Aug 4, 2003
A NU football fans we seem to divide up into alternative narratives - some positive regarding the possibilities for year 2022, and some pessimistic for the coming year.

To start with, here are some beginning points to start with. To not let these posts get too long, I will focus on one point at a time.

First off (Point #1) - the Perlman Type Functioning of Trev Albers in his public statements re: Frost in 2022

As Rick Neuheisel said earlier this last fall in response to NU AD Trev Alberts’ statements regarding his expectations for NU football - what Alberts said “was the groundwork for releasing Scott Frost as coach.” As much as I hate to admit that Neuheisel was correct on about anything, it seems by what has since transpired that he was correct.

Alberts was apparently moving in that direction, but a combination of internal / external pressures at NU (seemingly involving Coach Osborne and influential alumni, and a good part of the fan base) forced AD Alberts to allow Coach Frost one more year to right the ship, but with a sharply penalized contract.

Alberts’ quoted public statement “that these situations almost never work out” was one of the most curious and cynical things he could have said. For all the savy and discretion that Trev Alberts does have, this was a damning error on his part. He essentially put the knife into the hand of other college football coaches on the football recruiting trail to emasculate NU at every turn.

For throwing Frost under the bus like this, if Frost were to survive this ordeal and turn NU around, I think perhaps NU may need to terminate Alberts someday and find another AD. For all his professionalism, this was a Harvey Perlman-type, rank amateur move on Alberts’ part. Now if Frost wins, he loses. Bad move.

Some more ideas coming….

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News