ADVERTISEMENT

Football Boneyard Bash 2018: Recap and Nuggets

Alec Rome

Redshirt Freshman
Aug 8, 2018
A private practice for students, free pizza and words from Coach Frost. Pretty sweet if you were a student at the Boneyard Bash tonight.

Luckily, in my time not working as HuskerOnline intern, I happen to hit the books and possess an N-Card, so I decided to join the Bash, disguised as a Husker fan. Nobody knew any different!

Here are observations from the Boneyard Bash from a student perspective (which means they should be taken as such):
  • At 7:04 PM, the line was already long. Around 500 students were patiently waiting for a T-shirt. By 7:20 PM the line was stretched all the way to the pillars of the coliseum doors. The line began to move a minute later, as fans slowly shifted forward to grab the “Boneyard” shirts with a “Frost effect” on the text. They are 100 percent cotton from Adidas. Sources told me the shirts were popular.
SjjfqIdzaeX8Rhauur1IvJr4J7qoGFl6fvyd81bzxJjZQX7wqyiXS-1iSYLuMZFbdy9NbTHF8yMyuLLb4PHXQPbIVmf7qbtk3fPry_3LNKpsd2MinvjBNPKs66j_5jGq031f8GbV

• Two guys, while waiting in line, invented a new sport, which I could only describe as “koozie tennis.” This may become a new varsity sport along with Fortnite around 2022.
  • Two women exited the line immediately after receiving a shirt. Is that illegal? Not for sure. A fan behind me did applaud the move, saying, “Hey, your Saturday night is still open, all you had to do was wait an hour in line for a T-shirt.”
  • FREE ITEMS: Along with the shirts, multiple free items were given away, including a koozie with the Dorothy Lynch logo on one side, and the other side reading, “Keep it Sweet… and Spicy.” There was also Valentino’s pizza slices, all hamburger, Aquafina water, and coupons for one free breakfast item at Chick-fil-A. Those items include a chicken biscuit, sausage biscuit, egg white grill or four Chick-N-Minis.
  • GIVEAWAYS: The Iron N was giving away a PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Amazon Echo and the newest model of Beats headphones. Winners TBA.
  • NON-HUSKER FASHION: Among those in attendance not wearing Husker related gear, there were some interesting choices, including a USA basketball jersey and a shirt from the TV show “Friends” paired with multi-colored socks and sandals. Yikes!
  • Around 7:45, Bill Moos came over to take pictures with fans. He had a nice line going. Afterward, he addressed the near 3,000 students in attendance.
  • MOOS: "This is a new era of Husker football. We are building... rebuilding the program to win another national championship, ideally while you're here. We have to build it right, build it strong. You will have to make the difference. Get here early, stay focused, stay late. Go Big Red.”
  • The team began trickling onto the field around 8:04 PM as the four quarterbacks, Adrian Martinez, Tristan Gebbia, Andrew Bunch and Noah Vedral warmed up together. The rest of the team followed soon after. Later on, Gebbia and Martinez were throwing to each other.
  • PLAYLIST: As I have come to expect, the music was definitely going during this practice. The complete playlist (about as close as I could come):
Better Now - Post Malone
Finesse - Bruno Mars (featuring Cardi B)
In My Feelings - Drake
In My Blood - Shawn Mendes
Higher - Taio Cruz (he made a song other than Dynamite?)
Walk on Water - Thirty Seconds to Mars
This is How We Do It - Montell Jordan
We Takin' Over - DJ Khaled
I Like It - Cardi B, Bad Bunny, J Balvin
No Brainer - DJ Khaled, Justin Bieber, Quavo, Chance the Rapper
You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet - BTO
Long Cool Woman (In A Black Dress) - The Hollies
Natural - Imagine Dragons
Nolia Clap - UTP (a new Frost tradition)
Let's Go - Calvin Harris, Ne-Yo
Double Wide Dream - Casey Donahue Band
Congratulations (Remix) - Post Malone, Quavo
Nothin' But a Good Time - Poison

• One of the drills the defense worked on was a “grounder drill,” where coaches rolled the football on the ground and the players had to scoop it up. It only confirms what we have been seeing in camp, that the defense wants to focus on capitalizing on big plays and forcing turnovers.
  • The team then finished warm-ups with the “Nolia Clap” by UTP which is a new Frost tradition, per the host of the Bash. It includes four claps, not all in succession, to the beat of the song. Jerald Foster was really hyped up and getting into it.
  • Some 7v7s and 11v11s were done, really for the fans. The four quarterbacks had their own squads, with defense wearing white. Reps were separated equally.
  • Around 8:35, head coach Scott Frost walked up to the microphone and addressed the students. He was greeted with a standing ovation and a LOT of noise.
  • FROST: “I want to thank you guys for all coming out. I can't wait to see you guys in a week, on a beautiful night just like this. We've got a team that's hungry, we've got a team that's worked hard in camp, that can't wait to start hitting somebody besides themselves. A week from now I can't wait to show it, can't wait to get out on the field and prove it to some people. This right here is why I came back. Stuff like this."
  • He then invited the players to come to the fence for a meet and greet with the fans. The players lined up, with Martinez at the front. Both Gebbia and Martinez gained a crowd, with one fan freaking out after getting Gebbia’s signature on a mini-helmet. “Oh, the scenes at Memorial,” he exclaimed.
  • FIREWORKS: The grand finale was capped off with a fireworks show that went on for three or so minutes. This coaching staff definitely does not believe in skimping it with the explosives.
  • The practice ended around 8:50 PM with players exiting. However, Frost remained by the fence, shaking hands, signing hats and taking photos well after everything was done, even with the stadium lights shut off. He asked people where they were from, and talked back and forth with people in line. The crowd was still there as I walked out of Gate 24, with a red glow masking the field, on just another night in Lincoln.
TOANELaNeuXcc6O5QrC_8luKrz0ljUjqC3p69AEyUTe-q6TbpFaYUYSPgWmUMirW1xPYBkUDytZQePXcpr-lzROyNHHuCQgt9zMhGlQyQhdqmVgzkDFOOfEWnFcYtq-qE8nUCWlS
EaG8Cn5VySGFdDWP7lnC7CImRXpz0frUPOi7YvRQZcfixZ4Y18m6Em08uanSRt-R8vZfG1rbsd2zqZkmip5e1q267_g9OBOm4guSPyZdyC-tB_N3c-HvkngjSpBnWXF7EtwadKz4

f6aOSPNgdg5OUkALTB1Dx7VfS1g1Z0S4PZu1UkJZvubX7cZSAcBRjwdLA7OkyYZ7fV_tBoc9s_0l_X_XALMyW3wShgyyzIjeeMarKlbtHV6NSpCREWAzTyzTYwFvF0yYyUHbDEJY

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News