ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12 Landing Spots that Actually Make Sense

AustinDam

Junior
Dec 3, 2017
Waco, Texas
After seeing numerous blogs obviously written by interns on other sites, I thought I'd give this exercise a try. For this I'm going to assume that the Big 12 ceases to exist as an entity and does not do some kind of merger with another conference. In each I will profile at least one major conference and then compare the minor conference options. If it's too long for you, don't read it.

1. Baylor - Baylor has become one of the deepest athletic programs in the country over the past few years. Multiple times the school has had ten or more of its programs ranked in their respective top 25s simultaneously. It has a new football stadium and facility as well as a new basketball arena on the way. As a private Baptist school, it does not have the following of schools like Oklahoma State or Kansas State. However, it has a dedicated alumni base that also happens to be disproportionately rich and influential.

ACC - The ACC actually makes a lot of sense for Baylor, and here's why:
  • The ACC easily has the most private schools of any major conference (BC, Syracuse, ND*, Wake Forest, Duke, Miami)
  • Wake Forest is a sister school to Baylor, which provides it connections into the conference
  • Baylor's location in Texas helps ACC schools gain some influence in the area for recruiting and marketing
  • Baylor has become a basketball school and the ACC is a basketball conference
Pac 12 - I have a hard time believing that the Pac 12 will accept any religious private schools into it's ranks. Very unlikely to happen.

Big Ten - I can't imagine Warren taking Baylor over a school like Iowa State, even though Iowa State brings the conference nothing as far as expanding its footprint and helping it gain some sort of foothold in Texas.

American vs. Mountain West - This is a tough choice for Baylor. Baylor has upped its student recruitment effort in the western half of the country over the past few years. The Mountain West is also a pretty strong basketball conference. For those reasons, the Mountain West might make some sense. However, the American does have SMU and Houston, which are schools that Baylor has a history with in the Southwest Conference. Where TCU ends up would also have some bearing on Baylor's decision.

2. Iowa State - Iowa State has improved greatly under Matt Campbell's leadership. However, while football has been successful the past few years, the same cannot be said about the rest of the athletic department, where basketball and volleyball have both taken a dip.

Big Ten - Iowa State is a good academic institution. It is an AAU member and is a large public school. Geographically it is a short trip for the western half of the conference. For those reasons, I think ISU will get invited. However, my personal opinion is that Iowa State brings nothing to the Big Ten conference. The Big Ten already has the state of Iowa covered. It is recruiting ground for Nebraska, Iowa, and Wisconsin, not to mention other schools in the conference. However, I can trust that Warren will do something stupid with realignment, and I think Iowa State will get brought into the conference simply to even out the numbers.

AAC vs. MWC - Geographically the AAC makes more sense for Iowa State, and that's why I give the AAC the advantage over the MWC. People joke about ISU in the MAC, but the AAC and MWC are far superior conferences to the MAC in every sport.

3. Kansas - Kansas is a basketball school. Period. Its football program is a doormat and will likely remain one. However, the strength of Kansas basketball as a brand is difficult to overstate.

Big Ten - I think this happens. Kansas is an AAU member. Geographically it would work for the western part of the conference. It's basketball program would bolster an already strong conference. As far as football goes, every conference needs a few doormats.

Pac 12/ACC - the question here becomes is whether Kansas' basketball program is worth justifying the type of travel all your other programs will have to do to get to Lawrence. Football is what pays most of the bills. The Pac 12 needs football money and Kansas doesn't provide it. So the question becomes is what is Kansas basketball worth to a conference that already has Duke, UNC, Virginia, Syracuse, etc.?

I believe if Kansas doesn't get into the Big Ten (or other major conference) it would make sense for them to drop football and go to the Big East. I can't imagine that fanbase wanting to play schools like Colorado State or SMU regularly in basketball.

4. Kansas State - This will be short. K State is in trouble. It doesn't make sense for any of the major conferences considering the other options available. I think K State ends up in the MWC.

5. Oklahoma State - Oklahoma State is an above average football program and an above average basketball program. It has intensely dedicated fans, however almost no amount of success will raise it above little brother status to outsiders.

Pac 12 - If I'm the Pac 12, I'm calling up Oklahoma State. The Pac 12 needs to become more relevant in the middle of the country as those in its west coast footprint lose interest in football or move away. Oklahoma State helps them do that. Furthermore, the addition of another school east of the Rockies should help settle Colorado.

MWC - If OK St. doesn't end up in the Pac 12, I think the MWC is its landing spot. Here it could become a perennial in-conference power in both football and basketball.

6. TCU - Like K State, the odds are slim that TCU ends up in a major conference. It provides nothing to the ACC, Big Ten, or Pac 12 that other candidates don't already do better. TCU football isn't the power that is was when it was in a minor conference. Furthermore, it's other programs haven't been very good either.

AAC vs. MWC - Where TCU ends up here is likely dependent on what happens with other schools on this list like Baylor, K State, Oklahoma State, etc. If Baylor does not get into a major conference, I would guess that TCU will follow its old rival if there is space.

7. Texas Tech - Texas Tech has essentially the same profile as Oklahoma State, except it's a few hours south in West Texas.

Pac 12 - See: Oklahoma State

MWC - See: Oklahoma State

8. West Virginia - West Virginia is a basketball school with an above average football program. However, it does not provide much from a brand name perspective or an academic perspective. There is no way the Big Ten would allow WVU into its ranks.

ACC - Geographically this makes a lot of sense and fits the basketball orientation of the conference. Its football program would likely be able to compete for conference championship appearances immediately.

I would be surprised if WVU doesn't end up in the ACC, but if it doesn't it would appear that the American makes the most sense geographically.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News