ADVERTISEMENT

BBQ Ratings

Some of you guys are super into smoking?

I tried it and never really got all that into it, I thought I would but it is just sort of not for me.

....although hard to eat BBQ when yer doing Keto, but Famous Daves does leave the sauce off their meats if you ask...though i've only eaten at FD's 9nce in the last 5 years so it doesnt do me a lot of good.

Reactions: F--IT
....although hard to eat BBQ when yer doing Keto, but Famous Daves does leave the sauce off their meats if you ask...though i've only eaten at FD's 9nce in the last 5 years so it doesnt do me a lot of good.
Actually it's quite possible. Just have to be careful which sauces. There are many good options out there with fairly low carb counts (Jack Stack, Arthur Bryants, Sweet Baby Ray's Sugar Free). At a BBQ joint, I'll typically just order 1/2 lb of meat. No sides except the occassional slaw.

Last edited:
don't care for all the sugary dump on my Q, thus northwest arkansas fits my palate the best. kc is the worst.

rsz_bbq_july_-_oct.jpg

When in KC, hit Joe's Kansas city BBQ, and order the 'Rocket Pig.' The Z man as well.
As you go South, the sauce is too sweet for me. Carolina is good stuff.
Ribs...Gates Baby Backs in KC. Fantastic, but very expensive. Onion rings...Jack Stack.

Reactions: Streamer15
When in KC, hit Joe's Kansas city BBQ, and order the 'Rocket Pig.' The Z man as well.
As you go South, the sauce is too sweet for me. Carolina is good stuff.
Ribs...Gates Baby Backs in KC. Fantastic, but very expensive. Onion rings...Jack Stack.
Personal favorite in KC has been LC's. Not sure how good it is since the owner passed though. Haven't been there since.

New Canyon Joes in Lincoln is VERY good (Texas/Aaron Franklin influence). They sell out nearly every day.

KC has a plethora of good places. My faves are Jack Stack…Joes…Meat Mitch.

Reactions: drubendall
Have never been to any of those areas and had local BBQ, that being said, watching bbq cooking shows, Carolina bbq has me the most intrigued. Also have always wanted to hit the south on a food expedition eating smoked whole chickens with Alabama white sauce.

I like sweet baby rays sauce for ribs (my grocery store) (did'nt like author bryants kc)
there's like 6 main areas of bbq in the country

1. kc, ribs sauce (sweet), 2. texas brisket, 3. memphis has type of rib sauce (less sweet then kc), 4-5. Carolinas has 2 types, one with mustard other more vinegar, 6. bama had the white sauce for chicken.

bone sucking sauce, is good rub for pork (Raleigh North Carolina)
lamberts sweet rub of mine, is good for pork (Memphis)
the salt lick, is good rub for beef (Driftwood Texas)

Last edited:
Reactions: huskerfan66
Have never been to any of those areas and had local BBQ, that being said, watching bbq cooking shows, Carolina bbq has me the most intrigued. Also have always wanted to hit the south on a food expedition eating smoked whole chickens with Alabama white sauce.

Eastern Carolina for the win. Makes my mouth water thinking about it. An eastern Carolina pig roast is foodie nirvana.

I buy Sam Dillard's vinegar sauce -- best in Durham, NC -- 6 bottles at a time. I use it on many things in addition to BBQ.

You can get it here.

Big fan of the dry rub making the meat over BBQ sauces. For several years, went through Memphis several times a year and always tried to find an out of the way neighborhood place. Best I have had are down there.

BBQ is like t*tties. Doesn’t matter if they are big, small, medium sized. Floppy, tight, saggy. They are still t*tties. Pretty hard to go wrong.
If we could post pictures of such things, I bet you a few guys on here would enjoy proving you wrong.

don't care for all the sugary dump on my Q, thus northwest arkansas fits my palate the best. kc is the worst.

rsz_bbq_july_-_oct.jpg
Arkansas BBQ is really good. Whole Hog north of Little Rock is amazing.

A place by Cabot was on Man vs Food for their spicy BBQ sauce.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT