ADVERTISEMENT

As with every year, the pre season assessment

rgrachek

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Dec 2, 2004
The question every year is “will we be better than last year?”

Last season we were 5-7, but to be fair, we were a few bounces and a boatload if injuries away from being 10-2 (3).

So, here goes…

Coaching - We no longer have a new staff unfamiliar with the conference. They have had a year to assess the program’s strengths and weaknesses and have made many necessary corrective actions. They also know their players better as they have seen a season of them under fire.

Maturity - the Huskers were playing with a much younger and more inexperienced team last season as opposed to this season with the exception is QB. This is particularly true on both lines.

QB - nothing more needs to be said. Our starter on day one will be playing in his first college game, but will be way better than any QB we have rolled out game one since Zac Taylor in 2006. Our starting QB from last season is greatly improved this spring, but is still a long way behind DR. Galactic improvement.

RB - I really like where we are at RB. We have a returning starter who is improved, a new kid who looks really good, and a seasoned vet coming off injury who can do damage. I’m not counting on GE to be healthy, but we’ll be improved nonetheless. Better

OL - Most experienced and developed OL we have had since 2010. MM will help a lot, and having Teddy healthy for a year is really a big deal. Much Better

TE - Our prized recruit is now a season past his injury problems and he’s ready to shine. Nelson will be a factor also. Good supporting cast. Better

WR - When you compare what we have now to what we were playing with after the Illinois game, night and day. Injuries happen, but even if they stay reasonably healthy, massive improvement.

DL - This is IMO the strength of the team. More depth and talent in the room than any time since Suh. It’s not just potential, these players have a track record of great play from last season. Improved

LB - This is one place where I pause. PU is a budding star, and we have some good young talent, but it’s a show me year.

DB - Loaded with good to great players at most positions. Need a young corner to step up, but Singleton and Buford’s complete return are big. Improved

ST - they keep saying that this kicker is really talented, but he needs to show it. Punting should be solid. ST seems to be better coached now.

Schedule - don’t really know whether it’s tougher or easier. USC and UCLA are not at their peak and UCLA is breaking in a new staff. Don’t see any significant improvement in any of our opponents and problems at some of them (don’t kid yourself, Colorado is a mess now and it’s getting worse as they lost their best coaches).

Needless to say, it would be the most disappointing season to date if we do another 5-7.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News