ADVERTISEMENT

An Interesting Thread RE: Opposing Team Holding Calls

I remember a few years back how the BiG TeN officials hadn't called a hold against a Nebraska opponent for a few years. The broadcasters talked about it during one of our games and then voila- officials called it against our next opponent a few times. Lulz
I believe the flags came out like crazy because we were playing another big newbie like Maryland or something

There are a lot of nuances that affect that posters stats and rankings. They listed opponents penalty yds/game.

1. Typically the teams that are the best in the nation can run the ball. More running results in fewer pass interference/def holding calls which are big yardage penalties.
2. The best teams decline more penalties on both sides of the ball due to the outcome of the play.

When the difference of 15 yds/game is the difference between ranked 100 and 50 in that stat then 1 declined PI due to the play being a better result can make that difference. One holding call that was declined due to a negative play made by the defense does nearly the same.

Reactions: king_kong_
There are a lot of nuances that affect that posters stats and rankings. They listed opponents penalty yds/game.

1. Typically the teams that are the best in the nation can run the ball. More running results in fewer pass interference/def holding calls which are big yardage penalties.
2. The best teams decline more penalties on both sides of the ball due to the outcome of the play.

When the difference of 15 yds/game is the difference between ranked 100 and 50 in that stat then 1 declined PI due to the play being a better result can make that difference. One holding call that was declined due to a negative play made by the defense does nearly the same.
I like the way you think, especially item #2 there. I also wonder if having large leads in the 2nd half of lots of games has an effect on a referee's decision to prolong said game, or to not pile on the team getting their asses kicked.

I like the way you think, especially item #2 there. I also wonder if having large leads in the 2nd half of lots of games has an effect on a referee's decision to prolong said game, or to not pile on the team getting their asses kicked.

Whenever we play Ohio St, we always get calls in the 4th qtr when the game has already been decided. It's comical.

The amount of penalties during football games drives me nuts, but players are always trying to get away with as much as they can. When they show a hold in the NFL from a cornerback, I almost always agree with it. A big play is made and the first thing you do is hope there isn’t a flag.

Reactions: king_kong_
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT