ADVERTISEMENT

Alright, Whose Kid is This?

Obviously there is no excuse for allowing the BS crouch, but the kid had a broken right arm/hand and couldn't swing (notice he's holding the bat with only his left arm). He took the at bat so it wouldn't be an automatic out as they had no more subs (Little League rules). It was a walk or strike out looking...he was obviously hoping for and trying to induce a walk.

Obviously there is no excuse for allowing the BS crouch, but the kid had a broken right arm/hand and couldn't swing (notice he's holding the bat with only his left arm). He took the at bat so it wouldn't be an automatic out as they had no more subs (Little League rules). It was a walk or strike out looking...he was obviously hoping for and trying to induce a walk.
So many problems on so many levels:

1. If the kid had a broken right arm/hand, what the hell was he doing playing in a baseball game?

2. Did the coach who put him up to this think that you can actually manipulate the stroke zone by crouching? If that were the case, then you'd have MLB hitters getting on base every time. The strike zone is something that's defined by each individual in a "normal" batting stance, determined by the umpire. That's the rule, otherwise you could just lay down at the plate to get a walk. When we go to calling balls and strikes by machine in MLB, each player's height will be entered into the computer with a custom strike box just for them.

3. Coach teaching a kid to cheat, and on TV, what a guy.

So many problems on so many levels:

1. If the kid had a broken right arm/hand, what the hell was he doing playing in a baseball game?
I believe he got hurt in the game, but I could be wrong.
2. Did the coach who put him up to this think that you can actually manipulate the stroke zone by crouching? If that were the case, then you'd have MLB hitters getting on base every time. The strike zone is something that's defined by each individual in a "normal" batting stance, determined by the umpire. That's the rule, otherwise you could just lay down at the plate to get a walk. When we go to calling balls and strikes by machine in MLB, each player's height will be entered into the computer with a custom strike box just for them.
This is Little League...kids try wierd stuff all the time. If I remember right, this technique was used by certain foreign teams several years ago. After seeing it spread, LL clarified the rules, which is why this was a strike.
3. Coach teaching a kid to cheat, and on TV, what a guy.
If that is how it happened, I agree. Kids try bushleague crap all the time, but it doesn't always mean it was coached.

Reminds me of that coach a few years ago at state softball who bunted with a runner on 2nd and had her girl skip third base entirely and just run home. Nobody noticed, so no appeal. Coach got fired for teaching it.

Reminds me of that coach a few years ago at state softball who bunted with a runner on 2nd and had her girl skip third base entirely and just run home. Nobody noticed, so no appeal. Coach got fired for teaching it.
Malcolm. Kids do all kinds of stupid stuff that I'll excuse because... they're kids. It's irritating when it obvious the coach told them to do it.

I believe he got hurt in the game, but I could be wrong.

This is Little League...kids try wierd stuff all the time. If I remember right, this technique was used by certain foreign teams several years ago. After seeing it spread, LL clarified the rules, which is why this was a strike.

If that is how it happened, I agree. Kids try bushleague crap all the time, but it doesn't always mean it was coached.
The kid was holding the bat with one hand and the coach didn't have a clue that he was hurt when he was on deck? Really?

• Haha
Reactions: Gary.Busey
I never said that the coach didn't know he was hurt.

It feels like you're arguing with me for some reason that I can't understand. I simply provided context to what the video showed.
Thanks for the context...not really sure what that means.

Respect! Love the attempt. Anyone hating on this kid needs to check their small dick energy

I don't think its worth getting to excited over and I ain't dumping on the kid for trying it. As others have stated...its little league...weird stuff happens and its part of the fun. If he really couldn't swing, his options were limited to say the least. Kudos to the pitcher for keeping his cool and throwing a great pitch as it unfolded.

Reactions: saluno22
Approx 3-4yrs ago there was a coach who instructed his pitcher to walk the other teams best hitter to get to the special needs kid in the last inning with 2 outs in a title game. I got a lot bigger problem with that. Yeah its within the rules, don't care. That was low class and 1000X worse than this.

Many moons ago in an in house league in Millard some coach instructed two kids to switch jeraeys so the best hitter could bat again before his turn.

I saw a coach use a select player for an in house team...everyone knows you cant do that..

Just a few first hand situations I witnessed...so fast forward to now...this kid crouching just doesn't do it for me.

I also ain't calling anyone names or fighting over it. Its just my opinion, worth exactly what you paid for it.

Approx 3-4yrs ago there was a coach who instructed his pitcher to walk the other teams best hitter to get to the special needs kid in the last inning with 2 outs in a title game. I got a lot bigger problem with that. Yeah its within the rules, don't care. That was low class and 1000X worse than this.

Many moons ago in an in house league in Millard some coach instructed two kids to switch jeraeys so the best hitter could bat again before his turn.

I saw a coach use a select player for an in house team...everyone knows you cant do that..

Just a few first hand situations I witnessed...so fast forward to now...this kid crouching just doesn't do it for me.

I also ain't calling anyone names or fighting over it. Its just my opinion, worth exactly what you paid for it.
I agree with all your examples, but not sure on the special needs kid.
Kind of a catch 22. Treat him like everyone else or go easy? I fully get that it feels wrong as f@ck. Just kind of a weird situation title game and all.

I agree with all your examples, but not sure on the special needs kid.
Kind of a catch 22. Treat him like everyone else or go easy? I fully get that it feels wrong as f@ck. Just kind of a weird situation title game and all.

The special needs kids has already had enough of a hard life and at that age he had a lot more runway left to navigate. Do you really want to be the coach who goes out of his way to potentially embarrass him like that? I wouldn't..it was low class and i'll never change my mind on that, but to each their own. I don't expect a unanimous opinion on that. I'm realistic.

The special needs kids has already had enough of a hard life and at that age he had a lot more runway left to navigate. Do you really want to be the coach who goes out of his way to potentially embarrass him like that? I wouldn't..it was low class and i'll never change my mind on that, but to each their own. I don't expect a unanimous opinion on that. I'm realistic.
Low class is being kind…That coach is a dick.

My kid.

My name is Forrest. Forrest Gump.
Sucks Pied Piper GIF by Silicon Valley

Reactions: c3o
The realistic part is the special needs kids need to be playing against other special needs kids. It puts that coach and players in a catch 22 .

The realistic part is the special needs kids need to be playing against other special needs kids. It puts that coach and players in a catch 22 .
How is it a catch 22? It makes the coach a dick and makes you a dick by association

...and now you know...the rest of the story.

Reactions: king_kong_

If it was truly a title game that coach is likely going to walk the best player regardless who is on deck .

If it was truly a title game that coach is likely going to walk the best player regardless who is on deck .

I was a head coach......and I would have gathered my team at the mound and told em we're going to pitch to the batter who was up and take our chances. Others mileage may vary. I would not have gone out of my way to embarrass the special needs kid, and if we had lost, then so be it. (I also would have asked my pitcher to avoid grapefruits down the middle of the plate amd lets see some stuff on the corners). There was a better way to handle that.

Reactions: TampaBaySkers
I was a head coach......and I would have gathered my team at the mound and told em we're going to pitch to the batter who was up and take our chances. Others mileage may vary. I would not have gone out of my way to embarrass the special needs kid, and if we had lost, then so be it. (I also would have asked my pitcher to avoid grapefruits down the middle of the plate amd lets see some stuff on the corners). There was a better way to handle that.
He gets to bat but it doesn't count? Idk

I think it's great to include. For example they had a special heat for a couple special needs kids at my son's middle school track meets. Not embarrassing them by running against others. And no one had to alter their efforts.

Not disagreeing with you Speed, just spit balling.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
He gets to bat but it doesn't count? Idk

I think it's great to include. For example they had a special heat for a couple special needs kids at my son's middle school track meets. Not embarrassing them by running against others. And no one had to alter their efforts.

Not disagreeing with you Speed, just spit balling.
They probably couldn’t field two or more teams of special needs kids thus why he was included. Some of you are giving this garbage human being of a coach a free pass… shame on you

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT