ADVERTISEMENT

ACC discussing about Cal and Stanford joining the conference

Not all movement is going forward.

The SEC doesn't seem to be too active. Maybe the SEC is thinking more than one move ahead.
the SEC is autonomous

the B1G is a majority owned part of the FOX portfolio

the conference is being dog walked by its owner

UCLA and USC- sure but I was referring to more recent events. But adding two west coast teams that had zero leverage when you're already locked into TV contracts-- that's the part that I said was similar.
Not sure why everyone keeps saying Oregon and Washington have small media contract leverage. That's just not the case these days.

Oregon ranks relatively high in TV viewership, Washington is not a slouch and both teams are ranked in the pre-season top 20. So when they play other B1G teams, there will be a TV audience draw - it's the synergy factor.

They just joined too late to have an impact on the recently signed media contract for the B1G and that's why they're getting a lower share to start out.

the SEC is autonomous

the B1G is a majority owned part of the FOX portfolio

the conference is being dog walked by its owner
To the tune of $80 to 100 million a year to its members in 2024-2025. That's a he!! of a dogwalk. And here's a newsflash - TV controls all of CF - it's where the huge money is at

Reactions: huskerfan66
B1G and PAC should’ve just merged completely and had the CCG be the Rose Bowl.
The Big Ten won't add teams just for the sake of addition. I believe it was California that only has a 35,000 seat stadium and even has a hard time filling it - maybe it was Stanford. Both those schools just don't draw fan support or eyeballs. The Big Ten grabbed the 4 schools with the best support and wou.ld add to the conference.

The Big Ten won't add teams just for the sake of addition. I believe it was California that only has a 35,000 seat stadium and even has a hard time filling it - maybe it was Stanford. Both those schools just don't draw fan support or eyeballs. The Big Ten grabbed the 4 schools with the best support and wou.ld add to the conference.
Given what has been done so far I say take all of the left coast left over 4 at a minimal share of TV revenue. That gives you an 8 team division on the west coast. The conference is so screwed up already that it wouldn’t matter. Then they could play each other every year with 2-3 crossover games. You know they would be full if red clad fans any time NU was in town

Last edited:
OK my thoughts on the Washington and Oregon additions. I truly believe the Big 10 wanted to add both at the same time they added USC/ UCLA and negotiate a TV deal with all 4. But the Big 10 didn't want to have the collapse of the Pac 12 on their hands. By taking the LA market, the Big 10 knew that the rest of the league would be on borrowed time. There would be schools that would leave the PAC and go to the Big 12 or the Big 12 and the PAC would merge whatever the case. When Colorado left, then Arizona, the Big Ten believed that the PAC was vulnerable enough to take Washington and Oregon and not have blood on their hands. Everyone is giving the Big 12 credit for destroying the Pac 12, but when you look at the end results, the Big 10 has 4 of the top 5 or 6 Pac 12 brands joining their league. I am not sure the Big Ten was going to get much more from Fox/NBC/CBS with 4 additional schools than they got with the 2 LA schools.

I am not saying the Big 10 leadership was forward thinking, but they did sign a shorter deal with more $$$ per year than the SEC got, and they get to renegotiate a couple of years before the SEC.

Unless anyone has high 9 to low 10 figures in their bank accounts - college football will continually be cannibalized and molded into an NFL farm league. It's ridiculous but there's nothing any of us deplorables can do about it.

I think college football is doing just fine. A lot of cry wolf going on. We have had the transfer portal for a couple of years…….not a problem. Had NIL for a year. Not a problem. Only perceived problems. If we were winning 10 games a year most of our fans would agree that things are fine.

I’d this headed to 2 giant conferences anyways? What are bowl games going to look like? You could play a team in what you own conference or the SEC . How is this good long term for college football ? Could we ever win a National title again? Sucks
This gives us a far greater chance. You may get into the playoffs with 4 losses.

The goal now is the playoff….not a Conf Title. Same as the NFL.

Best thing that could happen to us.

Unless anyone has high 9 to low 10 figures in their bank accounts - college football will continually be cannibalized and molded into an NFL farm league. It's ridiculous but there's nothing any of us deplorables can do about it.
money certainly does affect many pastimes. Music, movies, video games, sports.

OK my thoughts on the Washington and Oregon additions. I truly believe the Big 10 wanted to add both at the same time they added USC/ UCLA and negotiate a TV deal with all 4. But the Big 10 didn't want to have the collapse of the Pac 12 on their hands. By taking the LA market, the Big 10 knew that the rest of the league would be on borrowed time. There would be schools that would leave the PAC and go to the Big 12 or the Big 12 and the PAC would merge whatever the case. When Colorado left, then Arizona, the Big Ten believed that the PAC was vulnerable enough to take Washington and Oregon and not have blood on their hands. Everyone is giving the Big 12 credit for destroying the Pac 12, but when you look at the end results, the Big 10 has 4 of the top 5 or 6 Pac 12 brands joining their league. I am not sure the Big Ten was going to get much more from Fox/NBC/CBS with 4 additional schools than they got with the 2 LA schools.

I am not saying the Big 10 leadership was forward thinking, but they did sign a shorter deal with more $$$ per year than the SEC got, and they get to renegotiate a couple of years before the SEC.
Just by taking USC and UCLA the blood of the PAC 12 is already on their hands. I think it was a short sighted move by all parties.

Just by taking USC and UCLA the blood of the PAC 12 is already on their hands. I think it was a short sighted move by all parties.
But you don’t hear about it. Look at the comments on this thread. Everyone is blaming the Big 12. Without USC and UCLA there was still 10 viable members. When they got to 8, then the Big 10 swept in again.

But you don’t hear about it. Look at the comments on this thread. Everyone is blaming the Big 12. Without USC and UCLA there was still 10 viable members. When they got to 8, then the Big 10 swept in again.
They lost the California market when those two left. UW and Oregon sealed their fate. IF we hadn’t taken USC and UCLA I think the Pac12 would still exist. I can’t see them having left for any other conference. It’s done. I don’t like what has happened to the traditional conferences but oh well. Hell I still don’t like the playoff. I would rather go back to the old bowl system. NOW GET OFF MY LAWN!!!😉

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
B1G’s top historic partner, and the only one to share the league’s zeal for cancelling football, now treated like so many first-dead Donner Party members

Speaks volumes to the character/morals/ethics of those to whom we’ve cast our lot

Oregon ranks relatively high in TV viewership, Washington is not a slouch and both teams are ranked in the pre-season top 20. So when they play other B1G teams, there will be a TV audience draw - it's the synergy factor.

They just joined too late to have an impact on the recently signed media contract for the B1G and that's why they're getting a lower share to start out.
USC and UCLA came in on full shares. Only weak little bitches agree to join a new conference at partial payouts

OK my thoughts on the Washington and Oregon additions. I truly believe the Big 10 wanted to add both at the same time they added USC/ UCLA and negotiate a TV deal with all 4. But the Big 10 didn't want to have the collapse of the Pac 12 on their hands.
This is correct. I've also read that Phil Knight (NIKE) was pushing his money-weight for Oregon to get into the B1G. The money he has thrown into his beloved Oregon is mind boggling as they probably have the finest athletic facilities in the country due to him. One way or another, Oregon was getting into the conference

This is correct. I've also read that Phil Knight (NIKE) was pushing his money-weight for Oregon to get into the B1G. The money he has thrown into his beloved Oregon is mind boggling as they probably have the finest athletic facilities in the country due to him. One way or another, Oregon was getting into the conference
Yeah, I've read the same about Phil Knight doing whatever it took to get Oregon in the Big Ten

I read a lot of the comments and kinda feel like people are making fun of the Big 12 for taking them.... For some reason most fans of the Huskers cannot give props to the Big 12 for expanding instead of their predicted fold..

None of it makes any freaking sense. What a mess.
From my understanding if new teams are added to the ACC they can immediately renegotiate the TV contract. If that's true that is extremely smart and proactive on their part. Looks like they aren't going down without a fight.

Reactions: BleedRed78
From my understanding if new teams are added to the ACC they can immediately renegotiate the TV contract. If that's true that is extremely smart and proactive on their part. Looks like they aren't going down without a fight.
I think their deal runs until 2036 with ESPN. Not sure they can add anyone that would be attractive enough for ESPN to want to amend the deal.

Sources cautioned that the two scheduled discussions are in the embryonic stages..

ACC is locked in to television deal with ESPN till 2036.The potential additions of the two schools do not project to be financial game changers..

Really odd that the ACC would even consider Cal and Stanford..
I imagine they view it as a matching foothold to the west as the B10 has the other Cal schools

365811601_10219451437551243_4411267208725570276_n.jpg

If Rhule fails I think we are in deep Kim Chi. Only a huge hire like an Urban Meyer would save us at that point. But I do not think Rhule will fail. I think Trev was a genius in landing him.

In Rhule I trust.
I think Rhule was a Ted Carter hire. 100%. However it works out.. and I like Trev.. but if for some reason this doesn't work out, I am not blaming Trev.. I am blaming Ted Carter. Ted's had an impressive Navy career, so I'm not dissing him, but it seemed pretty obvious to me from things that were said, that Ted is responsible for landing Rhule.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I think Rhule was a Ted Carter hire. 100%. However it works out.. and I like Trev.. but if for some reason this doesn't work out, I am not blaming Trev.. I am blaming Ted Carter. Ted's had an impressive Navy career, so I'm not dissing him, but it seemed pretty obvious to me from things that were said, that Ted is responsible for landing Rhule.
Didn't Trev take the Rhule's around town on a top secret mission to convince them Lincoln was where they should raise their family?

Had to look that up regarding their facilities … holy crap, impressive

In one way hiring Rhule is kind of like hiring Callahan. Former NFL head coach who was canned who comes in with a splash. The HUGE differences of course are his communication skills and how he has embraced everything Nebraska including TO. He also doesn’t have to deal with Pederson’s baggage.

I believe that take on the B1G wanting Oregon and Washington from the beginning when they took USC and UCLA is exactly correct and I posted that viewpoint at the time. Warren was envisioning a West Coast oriented night tier of games to offer to the media guys as a very attractive total B1G coast to coast media package that no other conference could offer. But he was held back at the time because the B1G presidents didn't want to be blamed for collapsing the PAC. The B1G however did go ahead and complete its due diligence at the time and told Oregon and Washington privately they could be considered again in the future if the PAC collapsed. Colorado and the Big 12 just set the latest deal in motion by leaving the B1G "blameless" for a PAC collapse.

It's basically a win for the B1G and a win for Oregon and Washington. The B1G gets two teams it wanted at an initial reduced price in the same time frame as USC and UCLA. The viewership numbers will be established for the next B1G contract. And Oregon and Washington have a secure permanent home at the same payout initially that they would have received by staying in the PAC. More importantly they are set up financially in the long run.

In the interim I'm expecting a potential add on media deal for some of the extra West Coast games. It won't be a full blown rich deal in the beginning coming after the initial contract but probably involve some more money from a streamer (likely Apple or also potentially Amazon both of which are loaded with cash and anxious to increase their sports exposure).

Last edited:
Reactions: BleedRed78
To the tune of $80 to 100 million a year to its members in 2024-2025. That's a he!! of a dogwalk. And here's a newsflash - TV controls all of CF - it's where the huge money is at
ESPN has been banging the SEC drum forever. They walk that dog. Only one not has been Notre Dame

I believe that take on the B1G wanting Oregon and Washington from the beginning when they took USC and UCLA is exactly correct and I posted that viewpoint at the time. Warren was envisioning a West Coast oriented night tier of games to offer to the media guys as a very attractive total B1G coast to coast media package that no other conference could offer. But he was held back at the time because the B1G presidents didn't want to be blamed as prediitors for collapsing the PAC. The B1G however did go ahead and complete its due diligence at the time and told Oregon and Washington privately they could be considered again in the future if the PAC collapsed. Colorado and the Big 12 just set the latest deal in motion by leaving the B1G "blameless" for a PAC collapse.

It's basically a win for the B1G and a win for Oregon and Washington. The B1G gets two teams it wanted at an initial reduced price in the same time frame as USC and UCLA. The viewership numbers will be established for the next B1G contract. And Oregon and Washington have a secure permanent home at the same payout initially that they would have received by staying in the PAC. More importantly they are set up financially in the long run.

In the interim I'm expecting a potential add on media deal for some of the extra West Coast games. It won't be a full blown rich deal in the beginning coming after the initial contract but probably involve some more money from a streamer (likely Apple or also potentially Amazon both of which are loaded with cash and anxious to increase their sports exposure).
The night games are fine but I don’t view that as a win for anybody other than the B1G bureaucracy. The budget gets bigger. The CEO gets a bigger paycheck but the shareholders in the end will get screwed by diluted earnings, increased travel expenses and stress on their athletes. I’ve seen sports teams waiting in airports at all hours of the night trying to get home from road games. I think the whole realignment think is awful for the athletes.

Reactions: king_kong_
In one way hiring Rhule is kind of like hiring Callahan. Former NFL head coach who was canned who comes in with a splash. The HUGE differences of course are his communication skills and how he has embraced everything Nebraska including TO. He also doesn’t have to deal with Pederson’s baggage.
To me the huge difference is his success in college and his success at places that aren't easy to recruit to. People question his lack of championships but when someone is good enough that they repeatedly get job offers that are too good to resist then I consider that a good thing.

The night games are fine but I don’t view that as a win for anybody other than the B1G bureaucracy. The budget gets bigger. The CEO gets a bigger paycheck but the shareholders in the end will get screwed by diluted earnings, increased travel expenses and stress on their athletes. I’ve seen sports teams waiting in airports at all hours of the night trying to get home from road games. I think the whole realignment think is awful for the athletes.
if usc and rudkers want to reduce travel time/costs, there plenty of neutral venues they could rent in Omaha

Honestly I just don't see jet travel as significantly worse for the players than bus trips. And what's a couple of more hours on a jet to travel a further distance. If anything Nebraska is better positioned in the center than those East coast teams to travel to the former PAC teams. For Nebraska how much worse is it traveling to Oregon or Washington than traveling to Rutgers or Maryland?

The bigger paycheck will more than cover bigger costs and those West Coast teams certainly will bring in more TV revenue than some long time B1G teams. Don't forget there are a lot of B1G alums living on the West Coast.

It's definitely a win for Michigan and OSU who apparently think it's too cold for night games in November. If Wasington and Oregon can help fill some of those prime time games then they added some value.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT