ADVERTISEMENT

2025-26 recruiting class updates #2FiveCrew

Just having some fun… worrying about recruiting in the spring has always been a bit premature at Nebraska. We’re gaining traction it appears…
I think using the word "worrying" is bit excessive. I have always said that we have to be concerned about recruiting all of the time, even in the spring. My reasoning is we have and have had offers out to some big guns and we wait as they have lots of options. Each one that goes off the board to other schools naturally reduces the number of highly ranked kids. So, while that isn't something worth worrying about, it is a mathematical reality, the pool shrinks.

I think using the word "worrying" is bit excessive. I have always said that we have to be concerned about recruiting all of the time, even in the spring. My reasoning is we have and have had offers out to some big guns and we wait as they have lots of options. Each one that goes off the board to other schools naturally reduces the number of highly ranked kids. So, while that isn't something worth worrying about, it is a mathematical reality, the pool shrinks.
Of course, I agree, but a month or two ago the other poster was really lamenting that we only had 3 in state commits. Many posters, myself included, preached patience, because this seems to happen every year.

Now on May 12, we are looking much better. That’s all…

Of course, I agree, but a month or two ago the other poster was really lamenting that we only had 3 in state commits. Many posters, myself included, preached patience, because this seems to happen every year.

Now on May 12, we are looking much better. That’s all…
It would be nice to get back to the days where we had our pick of the liter and had to turn guys away. We are a long ways from that reality.

Reactions: timnsun
One can still hope…
Actually we never really had our pick of the litter on a sustainable and ongoing basis. We got a few but we were mainly smarter in terms of recruiting hidden gems and developing them. Dr. Tom always ranked higher in the final team rankings than he did in the recruiting rankings.

Actually we never really had our pick of the litter on a sustainable and ongoing basis. We got a few but we were mainly smarter in terms of recruiting hidden gems and developing them. Dr. Tom always ranked higher in the final team rankings than he did in the recruiting rankings.
That is urban legend. Tom was selective and got who he wanted. Think Gill, Frazier, Berringer along with RBs who were who’s who in RBs of the day.

There wasn’t the rating services and camps like there are now so comparisons are impossible. Tom had universal cache when he recruited kids in his hey day. Parents trusted he would see they got a degree, be taken care of and develop as players and men. That is where he was ahead of the game.

Last edited:
That is urban legend. Tom was selective and got who he wanted. Think Gill, Frazier, Berlinger along with RBs who were who’s who in RBs.

There wasn’t the rating services and camps like there are now so comparisons are impossible. Tom had universal cache when he recruited kids in his hey day. Parents trusted he would see they got a degree, be taken care of and develop as players and men. That is where he was ahead of the game.
He was relentless in recruiting- most overachieving program under his watch related to local talent.

Reactions: Huzkers25

“That’s just not him leaving the Panthers better than he found it ….”

LOL - no coach in the entire history of the Carolina Panthers ever failed to win more than 5 games in a season in any 2 years time span except Matt Rhule

Worst coach in franchise history. Set that franchise back at least a decade

Guy had Christian McCaffrey and Baker Mayfield and went 1-4 before they fired him

5lOq7yD.jpeg

“That’s just not him leaving the Panthers better than he found it ….”

LOL - no coach in the entire history of the Carolina Panthers ever failed to win more than 5 games in a season in any 2 years time span except Matt Rhule

Worst coach in franchise history. Set that franchise back at least a decade

Guy had Christian McCaffrey and Baker Mayfield and went 1-4 before they fired him

Yeah they started 1-4 with McCaffery and Mayfield.

After Rhule was fired they traded McCaffery to the 49ers the next game and benched Mayfield the following game and proceeded to go 6-5 without them the rest of the season.

You’re acting like McCaffery and Mayfield were Sanders and Montana.

Reactions: RedMyMind
Well since Sanders can go any where he wants and those schools all have everything it will probably come down in the end to how close the relationship with Raiola really is. Basically is that relationship strong enough to overcome the distance factor (since that's important to the family)?

Reactions: OzzyLvr
Well since Sanders can go any where he wants and those schools all have everything it will probably come down in the end to how close the relationship with Raiola really is. Basically is that relationship strong enough to overcome the distance factor (since that's important to the family)?
I believe this is where winning becomes very important. Win 5 games and this kid ain't coming here. Win 8 or 9 games and all the sudden he can see the momentum. NIL negates some of the distance factor. Kid can fly mom and dad out whenever he wants and foot the bill.

Yeah they started 1-4 with McCaffery and Mayfield.

After Rhule was fired they traded McCaffery to the 49ers the next game and benched Mayfield the following game and proceeded to go 6-5 without them the rest of the season.

You’re acting like McCaffery and Mayfield were Sanders and Montana.
I think it’s short sighted to assume an NFL’s team record after firing a coach is directly related to that firing. That crappy franchise is a direct result of their GM and owner. Their last coach wanted Stroud and he was overruled by his GM and owner. ALL of the Roster Rhule had to work with was dictated to him by an incompetent GM. Go read what Ameer has had to say about Matt Rhule.

I think an NFL W-L record is totally irrelevant to success as a college head coach. How many college head coaches have failed already in the NFL? For example, think Nick Saban who seemed to do "OK" later at Alabama. It's just a much different situation in the NFL.

I think it’s short sighted to assume an NFL’s team record after firing a coach is directly related to that firing. That crappy franchise is a direct result of their GM and owner. Their last coach wanted Stroud and he was overruled by his GM and owner. ALL of the Roster Rhule had to work with was dictated to him by an incompetent GM. Go read what Ameer has had to say about Matt Rhule.

^^This^^ 100%. That Iowa troll failed to provide context. In the 5 years before David Tepper bought the Panthers, Ron Rivera went 51-28. Making it to the playoffs 4 times and to the Super Bowl once. After Tepper took control, Rivera went 12-16 and the Panthers have gone 21-70 overall, in the 6 years that David Tepper has been owner. The Panthers have a problem and that problem is their owner.

Last edited:
For the record I wasn’t saying that Carolina was better without Rhule. I was saying they were better without their starting QB and RB.

The previous poster had said that he sucked despite having those two in his backfield. I was showing him that those two weren’t that good.

Reactions: RedMyMind
Feels really damn refreshing to be legit going after "big fish" consistently. Something I haven't felt us doing as long as I can remember.
Under Mike Riley we went after many big fish consistently, but consistently we had little to no chance of actually landing those big fish.

Reactions: Laner2
Under Mike Riley we went after many big fish consistently, but consistently we had little to no chance of actually landing those big fish.
This is what I love about Rhule. He’s not content with landing a couple of dudes here and there like when Frost got Wandale and basically called it a day.

He’s got an Alabama mentality where he wants all the dudes, the very best and he can get his share.

I think an NFL W-L record is totally irrelevant to success as a college head coach. How many college head coaches have failed already in the NFL? For example, think Nick Saban who seemed to do "OK" later at Alabama. It's just a much different situation in the NFL.
Let’s tap the breaks a little. Nick Saban never had a losing season in college. Also, there’s been way more NFL head coaches that got fired in the NFL, came to college and sucked then there were Nick Saban success stories. We had one that sucked named Bill. Can we just hope for a good season vs pretending Rhule is the next coming? geeze… one step at a time please.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT