ADVERTISEMENT

2022 roster attrition (update & recap in post #40)

Ok fellas, help me out.

As the roster stands right now, with Koty & Shay TBD, we need a couple more RHP's. No? Yes?

I'm thinking our next 2 adds have to be portal RHP, a proven starter then a bullpen arm. After that it's 1 more LHP, preferably a late inning leverage guy especially since Perry & Bunz are coming off of injuries. (I've been able to confirm both have been told they'll be game ready in January).

Defensively, we seem set. Plenty of IF'ers and plenty of OF'ers. And I like the quality of both. A LOT.

What's everyone thinking?

Reactions: DiceManHusker
Ok fellas, help me out.

As the roster stands right now, with Koty & Shay TBD, we need a couple more RHP's. No? Yes?

I'm thinking our next 2 adds have to be portal RHP, a proven starter then a bullpen arm. After that it's 1 more LHP, preferably a late inning leverage guy especially since Perry & Bunz are coming off of injuries. (I've been able to confirm both have been told they'll be game ready in January).

Defensively, we seem set. Plenty of IF'ers and plenty of OF'ers. And I like the quality of both. A LOT.

What's everyone thinking?
It's the end of the school year for me, so it's crazy at the moment, but I will digest all of this great information soon and chime in to the discussion asap. Thanks again for all of the great info! Hopefully we'll have some more info by then as well as I know that this time of year is crazy for college baseball with summer assignments, commits, draft approaching, etc.

Things have quieted down. A lot of sadness this week, but if we sit back and analyze it - I can't imagine very many blaming the coaches for flipping the roster after a disastrous season. It sucks what happened, but it's needed. We have to move forward and do everything in our power to improve the roster for 2023.

With that said, the flip doesn't give the coaches a slide for inexperience in 2023. It was their choice to make these moves and, at least for me, can't grant them a "free year" for this. That "free year" is 2022, only because of the success in 2021.

So here's a recap:

Known departures (12)
Banjoff, Bragg, Bradford, Palmer, Steil, Mason, Gomes, Chick, Feekin (volunteer assistant at NU), Petersen, Wimmers (mutual departure, he'll likely drop to D2), Wessel (retiring from baseball)

I've been told all true freshmen in 2021 are returning except Petersen (Guthmiller moved to the bump but I've heard he's having second thoughts). 11 returning is disappointing. I still question Jackson, but at least wanted to add what I heard late last night. He's telling the coaches one thing and others something else. So he'll be added to the roster numbers below till 1 of us can confirm otherwise.

Asked to return, undecided
Schanaman, Everitt, Frank
Shay & Griff return if no opportunity at next level. Frank possibly transferring closer to home. I'm unaware of any time-line request by the staff for these 3. I assume there has to be one for Frank. Although I really want Frank back - the portal is our friend, not enemy, so we can't be held hostage.

Roster count, confirmed:
(1) Jessen, (2) Caron, (3) Jackson, (4) Christo, (5) Hood, (6) Brockett, (7) Benson, (8) Hawkins, (9) Swansen, (10) Guthmiller, (11) Anglim, (12) Walsh, (13) Anderson, (14) Matthews, (15) Olson, (16) Sartori, (17) Ornelas, (18) Cervantes, (19) Perry, (20) Bunz.

(21) Schanaman, (22) Everitt, (23) Frank

@HuskerFan31 has our incoming class currently at 16. ((Edit to add: just got another commit so we're at 17.)) I know we're still looking for 2-4 more, portal is priority, so the attrition isn't over.

(20) + (17) = 37. Add Shay, Griff, Koty & we're currently at 40.

2023 season has a roster maximum of 40 players allowed which includes no more than 5 guys with a covid season to use. If they weren't in college, at any level, in 2020 then they count towards our 35.

Okay, back to shriveled body parts at Charles Schwabb Stadium. I'll ask one thing, we're dealing with 18-22 year olds that can change their mind quicker than a woman, well, you know so take it easy on me if something else transpires over the next 12 weeks.
Thanks for your hard work and updates. Not surprising with the number of juco commits we were getting that there'd be a ton of turnover

I think I would rather they start out by trying to recruit a starting RHP and 2 LHP's. A closer type lefty and a long reliever type/borderline starter. My reasoning is that I am very leery of the situation that Bunz and Perry present. If they were ready by fall ball, I would feel better about counting them as contributors and I would go with your suggestion. I also have no idea what Walsh and Guthmiller bring to the table. Dreher looks like he struggled so he looks like a spot guy at best. Clark would also be a spot lefty? I only feel good about 4 lefties. If and when they know Shay's and Frank's decision, then I would go after more righties. Hopefully, Frank makes a decision soon and then they can get 2 Lefties and 2 righties or 1 rightie if Frank stays.

Red, I'm with you 100% on Bunz, Perry then Walsh & Guthmiller. I think Walsh is transitioning to full-time 1B/LHH but I don't know that to be a fact. Just based on a few conversations with people throughout the season mentioning his raw power. Will injuries continue to hold him back?

Right now we have Olson & Brockett as possible starting LHP. Emmett is the odds on favorite, prior to a portal add, for the Friday job & I fully expect Sears to battle him.

We do have a starting RHP coming in, Sears from Iowa Central CC. I'm a BIG fan of him, and can't wait to see him this fall. I also agree with your comment on Koty & Shay. Shay's decision time-line should be very quick after the draft because his mind is made up; $25,000 or Huskers. It's not like Hallmark last year deciding between $25,000 & trying to get top 10 programs to take him as a transfer. (Eek) Oops, I said that. Frank, I'm hopeful we get an answer in the next week or two.

Clark is suppose to start out as a 2-way, so let's see what happens this fall.

Red, I'm with you 100% on Bunz, Perry then Walsh & Guthmiller. I think Walsh is transitioning to full-time 1B/LHH but I don't know that to be a fact. Just based on a few conversations with people throughout the season mentioning his raw power. Will injuries continue to hold him back?

Right now we have Olson & Brockett as possible starting LHP. Emmett is the odds on favorite, prior to a portal add, for the Friday job & I fully expect Sears to battle him.

We do have a starting RHP coming in, Sears from Iowa Central CC. I'm a BIG fan of him, and can't wait to see him this fall. I also agree with your comment on Koty & Shay. Shay's decision time-line should be very quick after the draft because his mind is made up; $25,000 or Huskers. It's not like Hallmark last year deciding between $25,000 & trying to get top 10 programs to take him as a transfer. (Eek) Oops, I said that. Frank, I'm hopeful we get an answer in the next week or two.

Clark is suppose to start out as a 2-way, so let's see what happens this fall.
What are your thoughts on Jake Bunz in the draft? Is he definitely returning for another year in college? He seems like the type of arm from the left side that someone will pay money to just put in their system and eat up relief innings.

Perry will obviously return because he's so injury-riddled at this point that the pros just ain't gonna happen.

What are your thoughts on Jake Bunz in the draft? Is he definitely returning for another year in college? He seems like the type of arm from the left side that someone will pay money to just put in their system and eat up relief innings.

Perry will obviously return because he's so injury-riddled at this point that the pros just ain't gonna happen.

Bunz wasn't drafted in 2021, can't imagine anyone will offer this year.

Perry needs to be over 86 consistently before his name is in the same sentence as the draft.

By class - this is a hell of a rebuild. I’m excited:

P) Shay, Frank, Perry, Bunz, Ornelas (Sr) Olson, Sears, Frahm, Dreher (Jr) Brockett, Sleeper, Christo, Hood, Hawkins, Benson, Guthmiller, Walsh (So) Lundquist, Novotny, Berggren, Clark (Fr)

Corner IF) Efry (Sr), Anderson (Jr), Caron (So), Walsh (So), Swanson (So), Clark (Fr), Pauley (Fr)

Middle IF) Efry (Sr), Matthews (Jr), Hughes (Jr), Mosley (Jr), Jackson (So), Carey (Fr)

C) Everitt (Sr), Z. Johnson (Jr), Columbus (Jr), Caron (So), Pauley (Fr)

OF) Sartori (Sr), Burnham (Sr), Matthews (Jr), Z. Johnson (Jr), D. Johnson (Jr), Evans (Jr), Frahm (Jr), Anglim (So), Jensen (So), Swansen (So), Guthmiller (So), Lewis (Fr), Pauley (Fr)

UPDATE 5/29: I wonder who comes off (or doesn’t return) with the addition of Burnham? It’s nice to add a traditional lead off hitter type that can likely cover some serious ground in CF defensively. That’s two upgraded skills to the roster IMO.

Last edited:
Things have quieted down. A lot of sadness this week, but if we sit back and analyze it - I can't imagine very many blaming the coaches for flipping the roster after a disastrous season. It sucks what happened, but it's needed. We have to move forward and do everything in our power to improve the roster for 2023.

With that said, the flip doesn't give the coaches a slide for inexperience in 2023. It was their choice to make these moves and, at least for me, can't grant them a "free year" for this. That "free year" is 2022, only because of the success in 2021.

So here's a recap:

Known departures (12)
Banjoff, Bragg, Bradford, Palmer, Steil, Mason, Gomes, Chick, Feekin (volunteer assistant at NU), Petersen, Wimmers (mutual departure, he'll likely drop to D2), Wessel (retiring from baseball)

I've been told all true freshmen in 2021 are returning except Petersen (Guthmiller moved to the bump but I've heard he's having second thoughts). 11 returning is disappointing. I still question Jackson, but at least wanted to add what I heard late last night. He's telling the coaches one thing and others something else. So he'll be added to the roster numbers below till 1 of us can confirm otherwise.

Asked to return, undecided
Schanaman, Everitt, Frank
Shay & Griff return if no opportunity at next level. Frank possibly transferring closer to home. I'm unaware of any time-line request by the staff for these 3. I assume there has to be one for Frank. Although I really want Frank back - the portal is our friend, not enemy, so we can't be held hostage.

Roster count, confirmed:
(1) Jessen, (2) Caron, (3) Jackson, (4) Christo, (5) Hood, (6) Brockett, (7) Benson, (8) Hawkins, (9) Swansen, (10) Guthmiller, (11) Anglim, (12) Walsh, (13) Anderson, (14) Matthews, (15) Olson, (16) Sartori, (17) Ornelas, (18) Cervantes, (19) Perry, (20) Bunz.

@HuskerFan31 has our incoming class currently at 16. ((Edit to add: just got another commit so we're at 17.)) I know we're still looking for 2-4 more, portal is priority, so the attrition isn't over.

2023 season has a roster maximum of 40 players allowed which includes no more than 5 guys with a covid season to use. If they weren't in college, at any level, in 2020 then they count towards our 35.

Okay, back to shriveled body parts at Charles Schwabb Stadium. I'll ask one thing, we're dealing with 18-22 year olds that can change their mind quicker than a woman, well, you know so take it easy on me if something else transpires over the next 12 weeks.
Is everybody still here after the transition? Anybody heard on updates on players, or do you guys figure we're just in wait and see mode until after the draft occurs? How about summer assignments? Have they occured officially yet to anyone's knowledge?

Is everybody still here after the transition? Anybody heard on updates on players, or do you guys figure we're just in wait and see mode until after the draft occurs? How about summer assignments? Have they occured officially yet to anyone's knowledge?
At a minimum I think they'd be looking at "Plan B" players if they don't get Everitt or Schanaman back. With the way things have gone the past couple weeks I'm curious if a couple of the younger guys that are reportedly coming back have roster spots set in stone or if they could still be replaced by a transfer. Maybe they bring in a few extra guys in the Fall and let them battle it out?

Maybe they bring in a few extra guys in the Fall and let them battle it out?
I sure hope so. We need that competition in Fall Ball. May the best man win. You can weed out the wrong intangibles with lots of good competition. We had way too much of the wrong intangibles on this last group.

As of yesterday, nothing has changed from the post you quoted.

Summer assignments are done. Christo & Matthews had their Cape Cod invites pulled but Christo is now on the wait list for the Cape. I know Christo needs to throw this summer but I was also hoping he'd spend the first 4-6 weeks reworking his flexibility and mechanics before actually throwing live action. This off-season, from now to the end of the fall, is the biggest one in Christo's carrer - it can literally make or break him (based on hype coming out of high school).

Summer assignments are done. Christo & Matthews had their Cape Cod invites pulled but Christo is now on the wait list for the Cape. I know Christo needs to throw this summer but I was also hoping he'd spend the first 4-6 weeks reworking his flexibility and mechanics before actually throwing live action. This off-season, from now to the end of the fall, is the biggest one in Christo's carrer - it can literally make or break him (based on hype coming out of high school).
Is Cape Cod considered the best summer league?

Here's a quick list of summer ball assignments I've gathered so far:

Cape Cod League
Max Anderson - Wareham Gatemen
Drew Christo - Falmouth Commodores (potential late season call up)

Northwoods League
Trey Frahm - La Crosse Loggers
Drew Christo - La Crosse Loggers
Brice Mathews - St Cloud Rox
Josh Caron - Madison Mallards
Luke Sartori - Kokomo Jackrabbits

Alaska Baseball League
CJ Hood - Mat Su Miners
Casey Burnham - ?

MLB Draft League
Ben Columbus - State College Spikes
Blake Mozley - Williamsport Crosscutters
Cole Evans - Williamsport Crosscutters

Coastal Plains League
Mason Ornelas - Wilson Tobs
Efry Cervantes - Wilson Tobs

California Collegiate League
Griffin Everitt - Santa Barbara Foresters

Great Lakes Summer Collegiate League
Nick Wimmers - Hamilton Joes

Texas Collegiate League
Chandler Benson - Brazos Valley Bombers

Sunflower Baseball League
Corbin Hawkins - Hutchinson Monarchs
Matthew Guthmiller - Hutchinson Monarchs

Independence League
Hayden Lewis - Fremont Moo
Zachary Johnson - Nebraska Prospects

Prospect League
Gabe Swansen - Quincy Gems

Only current players (that aren't injured/rehabbing) I haven't found yet are LHP Emmett Olson, LHP Jackson Brocket, LHP/1B Will Walsh, RHP Koty Frank, OF Garrett Anglim, OF Luke Jessen, & IF Core Jackson.

Cape Cod League

Northwoods League

Alaska Baseball League
CJ Hood - Mat Su Miners
Casey Burnham - ?

MLB Draft League

Coastal Plains League

Texas Collegiate League

Independence League

Prospect League

Only current players (that aren't injured/rehabbing) I haven't found yet are LHP Emmett Olson, LHP Jackson Brocket, LHP/1B Will Walsh, RHP Koty Frank, OF Garrett Anglim, OF Luke Jessen, & IF Core Jackson.
If you want to copy this into a new thread I can pin it. Otherwise I will pin it at some point as this is good information to refer to.

Cape Cod League

Northwoods League

Alaska Baseball League
CJ Hood - Mat Su Miners
Casey Burnham - ?

MLB Draft League

Coastal Plains League

Texas Collegiate League

Independence League

Prospect League

Thanks for posting.

Reactions: sklarbodds
Nothing has changed to my knowledge & quite honestly, I'm not spending anymore time trying to figure it out. Too much drama for my liking.
I was thinking the same thing to be honest. Drama is exactly what we don't need. It pushed me out of coaching at a pretty young age. Drama is everywhere with some kids & especially some of their families & "entourage" nowadays. Makes me give coaches a lot of grace when things go sideways. Sometimes you just can't see it coming and it can be like a cancer.

Hopefully Jackson doesn't drag the group down with his commitment struggles. He really appears to be a talented baseball player. I trust Bolt and staff to push him out in another direction if he is however.

Christo is pitching at La Cross in the Northwoods League. Jackson is supposedly playing for Battle Creek although he doesn't have any stats as of last night.

Last edited:
Koty Frank to the transfer portal last night per Michael Bruntz

Yep, good for him and (possibly) bad for us. We're too young on the bump & need 2 transfer portals desperately. Fully expect him to play closer to home.

I'm afraid we may lose Frank and this would be the first player asked back that (strong chance) doesn't

Frank, I'm hopeful we get an answer in the next week or two.

11 or 12 days ago so we got the answer. Plenty of time to replace, so hopefully it's a portal with 2 seasons of eligibility. A JUCO will be disastrous.

Roster count, confirmed:

19 + 17 = 36 + Shay and Griff = 38 + Fischer, Brumbaugh, and Burnham = 41

These numbers don't count Kaminska or Keating.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT