ADVERTISEMENT

15 out of 19

huskerbaseball13

Nebraska Legend
Jul 30, 2003
Appears we will need to go 15-4 down the stretch to finish the regular season with a top 16 RPI. We don't necessarily need a top 16 RPI to get a regional in Lincoln but it would probably be a slam dunk if we did. It will be tough and will probably mean we have to sweep both Purdue and NW and win our remaining Big 10 series.

1 Creighton
1 UNO
1 Kstate
2 Ohio St
2 Iowa
3 Purdue
3 NW
2 Illini

if we're 18-19 or so and win the b1g tournament (or possibly even make the final) we'd probably host as well.

Originally posted by Kleitus:
if we're 18-19 or so and win the b1g tournament (or possibly even make the final) we'd probably host as well.
I would think so...even low 20's and win the Big 10 tournament I would think we would have a solid shot. I think we will need to most likely win the OSU/Iowa/Illini series though.

I'm probably as guilty as anyone of focusing too much on RPI but it's important to remember that it's only one tool the committee uses. The 2005 Huskers had a final RPI of 20 but were the #3 national seed.

It's certainly good to have the best RPI possible but there's no magic number. An RPI of 18 won't on its own prevent anyone from hosting. A slip-up or two against UNO, Northwestern or Purdue will hurt the RPI but will probably be overlooked if there are series wins vs. Ohio State, Iowa and Illinois.

Originally posted by coolonetoo:
I'm probably as guilty as anyone of focusing too much on RPI but it's important to remember that it's only one tool the committee uses. The 2005 Huskers had a final RPI of 20 but were the #3 national seed.

It's certainly good to have the best RPI possible but there's no magic number. An RPI of 18 won't on its own prevent anyone from hosting. A slip-up or two against UNO, Northwestern or Purdue will hurt the RPI but will probably be overlooked if there are series wins vs. Ohio State, Iowa and Illinois.
That team also won the regular season and conference tournament in a conference that eventually sent 3 teams to Omaha with 1 of them winning the national championship.

That is exactly the point. A less than stellar RPI won't matter if other significant accomplishments are on the resume.

That sounds about right. I think RPI is very important to this Husker team along with a good showing in the tourney. I have a hard time believing we will win the Big Ten Regular Season Title after looking at Illinois' weak conference schedule. Midweek games are a must win and sweeps of Northwestern and and Purdue may have to happen as well. I do think we could finish 3-3 against Illinois and Iowa if we win every other game. 2/3 against OSU would also be ok.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT