ADVERTISEMENT

ZD legit 4.4 speed

WestCoastCornhusker

All-American
Nov 28, 2005
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/florida-recruiting/blog/os-ohio-state-offers-zack-darlington-compares-to-tim-tebow-20130502-post.html

Doesn't say whether it's electronic or what kind of surface it was on. Kid is intriguing, if he can stay healthy he could sneak up.

Thats all great, but I remember a few years back reading some "expert" write that Zac Lee would be the most athletic QB the Huskers have had since Eric Crouch. I will be satisfied if Darlington continues to look like a QB, and keeps his head right. Good qb's could run 5.5 and it don't matter. Bad qb's could run 4.2's and they still suck. They are like 99 mph fastball pitchers that throw down the middle with no motion.

Originally posted by resdog851:
Thats all great, but I remember a few years back reading some "expert" write that Zac Lee would be the most athletic QB the Huskers have had since Eric Crouch. I will be satisfied if Darlington continues to look like a QB, and keeps his head right. Good qb's could run 5.5 and it don't matter. Bad qb's could run 4.2's and they still suck. They are like 99 mph fastball pitchers that throw down the middle with no motion.
True, but look who was coaching back then. If MR thinks ZD could start over TA that is a good sign since TA will be significantly improved from a year ago with real QB coaching. It takes some time, TA should continue to improve over spring summer, changing totally in 3 and 1/2 months is a lot to ask for.

Personally, I doubt it is quite that good but it really doesn't matter much in Riley's offense. More than anything, Riley's QB needs to have an accurate passing game with a high completion percentage.

One thing I saw Zack do in the Spring Game was throw an accurate pass in stride while being chased on the run. Don't know if he can always do that but if you have a QB that can scramble and still be throwing an accurate pass while eluding tacklers, that's really tough on a defense.

Let's just hope that his last 2 weeks of Spring practice wasn't a fluke. If he can continue making progress through summer and Fall camp, he could be a good one for Riley's offense. With Armstrong's back issues, we're going to need a good back up QB that can come in and win games. Be it Bush or Darlington, one of them has to be ready to play at a high level.

I am pulling for the kid to continue to improve and stay healthy. I had written him off, mainly due to health concerns, but he really intrigued me on Saturday. Remember, Urban really wanted him before he got hurt his Sr. year of high school.

I never believed he had LEGIT 4.4speed and I still don't. I always thought he looked closer to a low 4.6 or high 4.5 guy. Either way he's PLENTY fast enough to QB here. If he is as accurate as he was on Saturday and go through his progressions the same way I think he has a chance. I've been on record for rooting for AJ Bush because of his upside . I thought AJ could bring a dimension none of the others had. This was when I didn't believe we had a QB on the roster who could be as accurate as Darlington was.

If he's THAT accurate I want him as the guy. I'll give up some other things for accuracy. If that was the real Darlington we MAY have a guy.

Holla

If Urban Meyer thought he was good enough then he certainly is good enough in my book.

I like your comments; sure the speed articles apply to some extent, otherwise why did they write them. I saw him directing receivers during a couple plays and looking off the db's; thats more awareness than just progressions. There was also a run down the right sideline; where he faked a guy out and got more yards, rather than just be pushed out of bounds ( nice move, I don't know why more don't do it ). ... Darlington showed the most, appeared to answer more Div 1 questions than the others... TA, hit on a vanilla 6 of 12 designed not to get intercepted; a fan, i hope coaching gets him progressions and seeing the field, otherwise he is situational, not likely a championship qb...... A J was as coach says. young and more mental mistakes - we seemed to be trying to force the jump ball route; and he got intercepted and tunnel visioned on forcing it. Potential there, he is just young; our apparently starting rb developed the same way. GBR

I don't think it really matters with ZD, and here is the thing.. If he is going to play, they have to be proactive, about him not taking any hits, specifically hits to the head. When he took off running during that play in the spring game, you could almost hear a pin drop, or at least that is how I felt when watching that play unfold. He can't be doing that. He has to slide, run out of bounds, anything to avoid a full on hit. So this really makes his speed a non issue. It might be useful to escape out of the pocket to have some quickness, but a 40 yard dash time really has so significance in regard to him from my perspective.

That said, IF they want to go this route, I think they can, but will have to be extremely proactive about it. Could he still sustain another concussion? Yep, and there are penalties associated with this, but it only takes one time. If he is cleared, and Zach himself understands that he can't be doing this, then I think you go ahead and play him. You have to make it clear that if he pulls a stunt like he did last Saturday, he'll be benched for doing so, and you are doing it for his own good. I'd want to see Zach himself show a level of concern or restraint about it, not complete disregard for his own body. It's difficult I'm sure, as at that age, one feels invincible.

He was cleared by his doctor to play football. A contact sport where you get hit in the head repeatedly.I didn't hear anything about "you can play but don't get tackled". He's clear to play FOOTBALL. By a DOCTOR. Why are we saying he can't run the ball?

If ZD, ZD's parents, or any doctor who has evaluated him is truly afraid of him getting hit, then he shouldn't be out there. Otherwise, game on.

Originally posted by TarheelHuskerFan:
He was cleared by his doctor to play football. A contact sport where you get hit in the head repeatedly.I didn't hear anything about "you can play but don't get tackled". He's clear to play FOOTBALL. By a DOCTOR. Why are we saying he can't run the ball?
This, either carry on and play football or none at all.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT