ADVERTISEMENT

Zavier Betts

scarletred

Nebraska Legend
Jun 17, 2001
With this Corona Virus, will this hurt his opportunity to qualify for this up coming football season?

Or is it just a matter of him passing his SAT score?

With this Corona Virus, will this hurt his opportunity to qualify for this up coming football season?

I don't think it would hurt his chances to pass classes and get credits, no school is going to fail kids or take away opportunities for credits right now. But, if he was going to ACT prep classes, etc, he might be able to do that right now, which could hurt his chances to pull up his ACT in the Spring.

Since none of us know EXACTLY what he needs to accomplish, this is all a big guess. What we do know is he needs to gain instructional knowledge in areas to obtain a high ACT test score and pass classes he may be taking to increase his GPA. The ACT score will be the most important piece due to the fact it is on a sliding scale based on his core GPA. Get a high enough ACT score and eliminate the questions.

Much depends on how they are teaching classes there. If he requires someone to be present to answer questions and be at his side, yes, this will not likely help him. There is just something about being in a classroom and having someone there holding you accountable.

I think it was Nate Clouse who said they cancelled an ACT test that he was going to take because everything is getting cancelled. So it possibly limits his ability to even take the test.

Under the circumstances I feel better that Manning has a better chance of qualifying and will be more polished having actually played Junior College football..

Last edited:

last I heard he had his grades looking and going good now. It was a matter of hitting his ACT score. I have no idea if this helps him or hurts him now? Or will he get more time to work on it this way then he would have normally without this pandemic going on? I’d have to assume he’d get more time since this is screwing stuff up.

last I heard he had his grades looking and going good now. It was a matter of hitting his ACT score. I have no idea if this helps him or hurts him now? Or will he get more time to work on it this way then he would have normally without this pandemic?

I think this pandemic will hurt him more without someone looking over his shoulder pushing him besides his parents getting the ACT score he needs..

Reactions: TruHusker
I think this pandemic will hurt him more without someone looking over his shoulder pushing him besides his parents getting the ACT score he needs..

No clue, he knows what’s on the line here and what happens if he starts to slip even a little bit. Everyone that really knows him has been saying Betts is a completely different person then what he was during his freshman and sophomore years.

I look at it this way. He will be a Husker one way or another. Either we get him as a true freshman (which I’m hoping for) or we get him as a JUCO Junior with 3 years to play 2 (no way does he redshirt in the JUCO ranks, or i suppose he could use his redshirt and come as a JUCO Sophomore with 3 to play 3).

Last edited:
Well considering the upcoming football season is probably 2021 he has time

we all know what you expect. Just because you assume the worst doesn’t me it will happen. Take a wait and see approach my man and stop assuming the worst. My only suggestion I got.

Edited: actually you may have a point there. Betts might get another year to pull this off. It sounds like students might gaining an extra year and if this is the case...Betts MIGHT get another year to complete what ever it is he needs to complete (which in his case isn’t a bad thing).

Last edited:
The NCAA may give another year of eligibility to spring semester athletes is the talk. What does that have to do with a HS student who has four years minus one quarter to pass and obtain an ACT score?

Last edited:
The NCAA may give another year of eligibility to spring semester athletes is the talk. What does that have to do with a HS student who has four years minus one quarter to pass and obtain an ACT score?
I think it has been stated that if the rest of the high school year is cancelled, parents have the option to have the student repeat that grade again. technically, if he has enough credits he could be an early enrollee next year. ;)

edit: I am not sure that is the OFFICIAL policy yet. They probably have to officially cancel the year first.

NSEA (state teachers union) doesnt think they will go back this school year.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I think it has been stated that if the rest of the high school year is cancelled, parents have the option to have the student repeat that grade again. technically, if he has enough credits he could be an early enrollee next year. ;)

edit: I am not sure that is the OFFICIAL policy yet. They probably have to officially cancel the year first.

I don't see anyway that will happen. Ig they can't go back, schools will be forced to adopt some sort of distance learning to give credits and promote students.

Is this just Nebraska? It really makes zero sense. First, the first semester grades are in the book, done and recorded. There is only a quarter of school remaining, not a full year. Why would any kid want to take a full year over just to get the last quarter done? Further, it would completely overwhelm the system assuming very many took the option. Again, why the "option" for an entire year? How many kids are going to jump on that? :)

Here in KS there are several options they are exploring including waving attendance requirements. That doesn't mean the work does not have to be completed. It will all be done on-line but the delivery method is optional in each district. There will still be assignments, homework, and tests. Our district is likely going to go with a combination on-line and and packet option. Most probably don't realize that the books, tutorials and more are part of most text book packages.

There's no way Omaha or Lincoln goes back to school this year. No way. We'll be lucky to have football next fall. Just because we might get over the hump in May doesn't mean we can stop social distancing. We've got a long ways to go with this deal.

Reactions: nu2u and WHCSC
There's no way Omaha or Lincoln goes back to school this year. No way. We'll be lucky to have football next fall. Just because we might get over the hump in May doesn't mean we can stop social distancing. We've got a long ways to go with this deal.

Well maybe if we do have football, the bluehairs won't be in attendance and we won't have to listen to people bitch about North stadium being quite and people not standing up... Just kidding of course..

Well maybe if we do have football, the bluehairs won't be in attendance and we won't have to listen to people bitch about North stadium being quite and people not standing up... Just kidding of course..
If this thing continues to roll in Omaha and Lincoln, we'll probably have a LOT less "bluehairs" at games this fall and we'll probably lose a few posters on here as well.

How ever it works out or doesn’t, Huskersonline.com thinks it will benefit Zavier Betts. There is plenty that could happen to help Betts make it. Myself, like Our Husker rivals site guys think, I think it will help Betts, not hurt him any. Even in the worst case, he’d gain more time to work at it, which only helps.

Last edited:
if it's grades that are a concern, then being out probably helps him. From an ACT standpoint it probably hurts him in the regard that it's late and the results will come and there will be no time for a plan B. Also, he won't be in a situation where he can be tutored probably.

Reactions: headcard
if it's grades that are a concern, then being out probably helps him. From an ACT standpoint it probably hurts him in the regard that it's late and the results will come and there will be no time for a plan B. Also, he won't be in a situation where he can be tutored probably.

I disagree, he will gain more time this way, he can work on it longer and he can still be tutored. Why couldn’t he be tutored? It’s the big groups we are supposed to be voiding. As long as Betts and the person working with him are healthy, then there’s now reason why he can’t get help during this extra time. Again, even the guys that cover this site think this will only help Betts, not hurt him. I completely agree.

Last edited:
I disagree, he will gain more time this way and can work on it longer and he can still be tutored. Why couldn’t he be? It’s big groups we are supposed to be voiding. As long as Betts and the person working with him are healthy, then there’s now reason why he can’t get help for this extra time. Again, if the guys that cover this site think this will only help Betts, not hurt him. I completely agree.

He always had this much time, so far only one test day has been eliminated as near as I can tell. So he technically will have the same amount of time but one less opportunity (unless things change) to take the test. IF he is making good use of the time and taking test prep classes and getting his GPA up then that would be beneficial. Just because he can have contact doesn't mean the other people can or want to. In our school system, we are not to have student contact at this time. All this is frustrating from an educational perspective talking about the end of the game when there were 3+ years prior to avoid this for whatever reason.

Reactions: Tuco Salamanca
I guess if the season is canceled the first thing we need to do is ask Iowa what it like to have no football season, on the Down side Iowa will claim 2020 their national championships season

I guess if the season is canceled the first thing we need to do is ask Iowa what it like to have no football season, on the Down side Iowa will claim 2020 their national championships season

Always liked your post but for name of God why wouldn’t you bring up Iowa asking them what’s it like to not have a football season?

I’m sure their older fans know what it was like before Fry arrived..

Always liked your post but for name of God why wouldn’t you bring up Iowa asking them what’s it like to not have a football season?

I’m sure their older fans know what it was like before Fry arrived..
My apologies, I’m just tired of all the shit need to get out and need warmer temperature

ADVERTISEMENT