ADVERTISEMENT

Zavier Betts N

Why don't you do what eatafat1 says, and eat a fat one
So you think Solana is a good poster, huh? That asking how he is academically is off limits, even though it has been reported that he is a risk to qualify.

On The other hand, when Solana continues to throw Nebraska recruiting under the bus, you’re good with that huh?

1. When Scott Frost was hired he said he and his staff were going to work hard at keeping the top in-state players at home. They did just that by signing all five offered in-state players in the 2019 class and now they have landed the top-ranked in-state player for the 2020 class in Betts. Wide receiver is a fairly big position of need in the 2020 class for NU as they graduate two seniors and likely need to sign three in this class. Getting a Rivals100 receiver as their first commit at the position is a big deal.

2. You've got to give a lot of credit to the job Frost, in-state recruiter Barrett Ruud and offensive coordinator and wide receivers coach Troy Walters did in recruiting Betts. They had to work hard at developing trust and a strong relationship with Betts and they were able to do just that.

3. The first that that jumps out about Betts is just his overall size. He is a physical specimen at a legit 6-foot-3, 190-pounds. He will immediately become one of the biggest wideouts on Nebraska's roster.

nnd.png

qb6h245zcc5t8evn0t0w

NATIONAL
STATE
POSITION

Zavier

Betts

RANK
6'3" | 190 lbs | WR
West
Bellevue, NE
CLASS OF 2020

VERBAL COMMIT
4/3/2019
Nebraska
4. Not only is Betts a big wideout, but he also runs very, very well for his size. He's not going to be a possession receiver in Nebraska's offense. Betts has the ability to stretch the field and make big plays. As a junior last year he commanded double and sometimes even triple coverage. Not only can Betts create separation on a go route with his speed, but he also has the ability to make defenders miss on short passes and take it the distance.

5. Betts has good hands and has a knack for make difficult catches look fairly routine. He's able to use his height and leaping ability to catch the football in traffic which is something that will suit him well once he gets to Lincoln.

6. I like the fact that he has come up in an up-tempo, wide-open offense in high school. Bellevue West's offense under head coach Michael Huffman. Betts has had to learn multiple concepts and be able to read defenses. Additionally, Betts is coming from a winning program as the Thunderbirds won state when Betts was a freshman and are always one of the top teams in Class A.

7. Betts is an elite athlete that has all of the talent and ability in the world which is why he's rated as one of the top 100 overall prospects in the country. The biggest question going forward with him will be his academics as he does still have some work to do in order to become eligible.

The commitment from not only a top in-state player, but a top overall prospect in the country could really get the ball rolling for the Huskers as the spring game and camp season nears.

Stat check: Betts caught 48 passes for 856 yards and 12 touchdowns as a junior. As a sophomore he caught 57 passes for 1,035 yards and 15 touchdowns.

Last edited:
So you think Solana is a good poster, huh? That asking how he is academically is off limits, even though it has been reported that he is a risk to qualify.

On The other hand, when Solana continues to throw Nebraska recruiting under the bus, you’re good with that huh?

Nebraska recruiting? Nebraska all around is more accurate..

I think he is a good reciever. My only worry is how coach Huffman used him at Bellevue West. Huffman takes his best player and puts them in the best possible position to get the ball. Which is exactly what he did with Jaylin Bradley. Bradley had 5000 yards because Huffman gave him the ball 35 times a game. Great coaching idea, but worry how it will translate into college.

I think he is a good reciever. My only worry is how coach Huffman used him at Bellevue West. Huffman takes his best player and puts them in the best possible position to get the ball. Which is exactly what he did with Jaylin Bradley. Bradley had 5000 yards because Huffman gave him the ball 35 times a game. Great coaching idea, but worry how it will translate into college.

1. Bradley wasn’t rated high as a recruit.

2. Lots of HS football coaches ride their best players to win them games. And lots of HS football players end up with Nintendo stats because they see the ball 100 times a game. This isn’t fooling any coach. No one recruits off of stats

3. You can’t fake size and speed and good hands

From what I understand, it's part of the reason why he pulled the trigger now. He doesn't have a bunch of options like Watts at this point, and we needed to know if he was N or not now, given the academic risk. If he dragged this out to November, we probably were going to move on.

It applies to the the situation, his recruitment, and his decision to commit.

Better to get on academic risks sooner then later. Kid has more motivation now and way more time to get the grades right. A lot can be made up between now and the fall of 2020. I have faith the coaches will get him to Lincoln

Better to get on academic risks sooner then later. Kid has more motivation now and way more time to get the grades right. A lot can be made up between now and the fall of 2020. I have faith the coaches will get him to Lincoln

First, for those complaining about talking academics need to know he brought it up in the Journal article I read. I included what he said in my original post.

Second, the senior year is NOT the time to make up ground. Depending on what classes he took up to this point, he should be down to a few required classes such as Government and English. Seniors going back and picking up classes to increase GPA's is rarely a good thing. Time will tell. It is all on him, the GPA and ACT test scores don't lie, well of course for a few people it did.

Reactions: huskerfan66
If anyone was concerned about getting more 2020 commits, getting a commitment from a top 100 recruit and at a position of need is a great way to start! The word was that Betts was going to stretch things out until February and that SEC, ACC teams would be heavily in the mix. But instead, Frost gets an early commit. Great job by this staff!

Umm, this is what all coaches do.

If anyone was concerned about getting more 2020 commits, getting a commitment from a top 100 recruit and at a position of need is a great way to start! The word was that Betts was going to stretch things out until February and that SEC, ACC teams would be heavily in the mix. But instead, Frost gets an early commit. Great job by this staff!

Hmm, that's not what Betts said. He stated it was between Minnesota and Nebraska and he thought about being a silent commit. He currently has 5 - P5 offers, no SEC or ACC teams. Doesn't mean they couldn't come in later.. Don't tell me that because he is from Nebraska that people don't know about him. He also said he has work to get done in the classroom - put it all together, he has work to do.

Yep, Head Coaches are going to do that, they do that all over the place...even in class B and class D1 and so on. Betts did a lot or at least some camps. You don’t get a top 100 ranking and a 6.0 that’s dam near a 5 star by just stats alone. Rivals wants to see those guys in camps and so on. So being 46 overall player, you can rest assured that Betts was tearing up Rivals camps and so on.

I thought I heard that part of the reluctance on Betts was his numbers he posted at the Friday Night Lights camp. I remember hearing he ran a 4.8 and had a 30" vertical.

First, for those complaining about talking academics need to know he brought it up in the Journal article I read. I included what he said in my original post.

Second, the senior year is NOT the time to make up ground. Depending on what classes he took up to this point, he should be down to a few required classes such as Government and English. Seniors going back and picking up classes to increase GPA's is rarely a good thing. Time will tell. It is all on him, the GPA and ACT test scores don't lie, well of course for a few people it did.

High schools still offer summer school, correct? He is still technically a junior correct? Still has this summer before his SR year starts right? Is it ideal, no but that’s life. It’s how we adjust to issues that makes us.

High schools still offer summer school, correct? He is still technically a junior correct? Still has this summer before his SR year starts right? Is it ideal, no but that’s life. It’s how we adjust to issues that makes us.

I don't know about summer school in his area. It is usually for students who need to make up a class or two at the most. I ran a summer school, they are not the place kids want to be. What we don't know is where his GPA is in core classes per NCAA. I assume the school allows retaking of some classes with approval. The big if is what does he need to get done first and then what classes does he need to improve. Two different things. By his comments I take it he has taken the ACT but has not obtained the requisite score. The double whammy is getting the good GPA in core classes and a qualifying ACT score and then throw in enough overall credits. I have found the number of students who are highly motivated to pass summer classes very low overall. I said "pass" and it could be at this point he needs more than just a passing grade. I simply do not know.

Last edited:
Reactions: CC_Lemming
Why don't you do what eatafat1 says, and eat a fat one

so you tell me to eat a fat one, I respond seeking clarification, and you bail on the thread.

If you’re gonna be a dick, at least have the decency to explain your position.

You contributed absolutely nothing to this thread other than to tell me to eat a fat one.

Maybe you need to take your own advice.

so you tell me to eat a fat one, I respond seeking clarification, and you bail on the thread.

If you’re gonna be a dick, at least have the decency to explain your position.

You contributed absolutely nothing to this thread other than to tell me to eat a fat one.

Maybe you need to take your own advice.
He may not be able to post on here anymore after the thread he started about a wager.

Hmm, that's not what Betts said. He stated it was between Minnesota and Nebraska and he thought about being a silent commit. He currently has 5 - P5 offers, no SEC or ACC teams. Doesn't mean they couldn't come in later.. Don't tell me that because he is from Nebraska that people don't know about him. He also said he has work to get done in the classroom - put it all together, he has work to do.
I know all that. Just saying what the talk was. More offers to come? Well, 91st rated national recruit. Probably pretty likely.

Reactions: Bremser
I know all that. Just saying what the talk was. More offers to come? Well, 91st rated national recruit. Probably pretty likely.

I am not downplaying the kid. He is obviously rated where he is for a reason. When you see kids getting P5 offers as sophomores and where he is at right now, a rational mind would have to ask why. When/if he gets the grades and test scores and the offers come in, that will tell you something.

ADVERTISEMENT