ADVERTISEMENT

Zavier Betts coming on strong the last couple weeks via Matt Lubick...link inside.

huskerssalts

Defensive Coordinator
Oct 6, 2014
Beatrice Nebraska
There's been plenty of discussion about one big-targeted newcomer Husker receiver, but what about that 6-2, 200-pound target who had more than 3,300 yards as a star at Bellevue West?

Zavier Betts has had a very useful last couple weeks in his attempt to try help the cause, according to his position coach Matt Lubick.

"All three of those guys we've seen improvement," Lubick said when asked specifically about Zavier Betts, Jamie Nance and Demariyon Houston. "Really good attitudes. Zavier is the newest out of all those guys. He's really the last two weeks come on, and has a chance to help us. That's a challenge for a freshman. And then the other two guys, they were both here last year, and they've all taken steps.

"The good thing about that position is we have a lot of depth and guys that can play for us."

Lubick said during the Thursday Zoom call there was no decision yet on the wide receiver rotation – with Omar Manning not coming up in this particular interview – but Lubick expressing optimism about his group's depth and its overall health nine days from the opener against Ohio State.

The receivers coach and offensive coordinator said Betts was getting some reps with the 2s of late.

He also added, "We do a lot of reps so we're able to rep some of our freshmen and give them shots with the 1s. We have 1s, 2s and 3s and kind of intermix them. It's too early to say (about the opening week rotation). He's made some big improvements. I do think he'll help us this year. But for this week, we haven't decided on that. And when it comes to how many guys you're going to play in the rotation, you're going to play as many guys that can help you win.

If we feel confident in a whole bunch of guys that know their assignments and can help us win, we're going to play those guys. If we feel confident in just four guys, we're going to play just four guys. Fortunately we feel confident that we have multiple guys that we can kind of move in and out there that execute and win us football games."

Amongst the newcomers, there's also curiosity about the progression of true freshman Marcus Fleming, who was known for his speed element as a recruit out of the Miami area.

"The more he's in there, the better he gets," Lubick said in a brief update. "He had a really good practice today and we're excited to see what he can do for us."

Obviously it will be trial-by-fire for the Husker receivers against the Buckeyes, who opening lines had pegged as more than a three-touchdown favorite for the Oct. 24 game.

As Wan'Dale Robinson pointed out, there aren't 21 points on the board already.

And as Lubick pointed out, it will be just as important how his group takes that opening game and grows from it.

"I think most coaches will say you make your biggest improvements after your first game," Lubick said. "Because that's where you see live stuff against other people. Now we've been doing as much as that as we can against ourselves. But it's still different when you're going against a good opponent. So we expect to be ready for our first football game, but you're always going to get improvement after your game.

"To do our best to be ready for the first game, we've done a lot of live football and tried to put them in every situation possible that can come up into a game. In saying that, there's still no substitution for actual game reps."

Betts coming on strong...

I know I was excited to hear Zavier Betts has been coming on strong these past couple weeks. Dude has all the talent in the world and I think most of us knew it was just a matter of getting the play book down and putting it all together on the field. From the sounds of it, sounds like he starting to do just that....GBR
Betts and Fleming developing will help the unit as a whole for sure.

If the Huskers fall behind Ohio State early, it would be smart for Lubick and Frost to get all of our young WR's in the game as soon as possible. Let those kids line up against Ohio State defensive backs. Let them see what it will really take to be successful at this level. Give those kids a dose of reality and let them take that with them back to the practice field, weight room and training table.

In summary, “he’s made improvement” but doesn’t sound like he’ll play against Ohio State.

We need WRs that can separate. Not that AM didn’t have a lot of issues but no WR was dominant when being covered.

No better time to figure out what we got than against OSU

go big red

In summary, “he’s made improvement” but doesn’t sound like he’ll play against Ohio State.

Lubick didn’t say Zavier Betts will or won’t play. He says he’s been practicing with the 2s and some with the 1s. When im reading that, that’s telling me he’s been working out with the backs ups and back up WRs in Frosts offense do indeed play quite a bit. I wouldn’t be surprised if he played quite a bit.

When you got a WR with Zavier Betts talents at WR, you get him in there as much as possible, assuming he knows the playbook and can run block some. Hell, We all have seen teams like Clemson, Alabama, OSU, even Purdue and teams like that play true freshmen WRs all the time and do just fine.

We all knew Betts biggest thing he needed to do to play this year was the playbook and run blocking. Running routes and catching the ball was never an issue for him. You don’t become a Top 59 player and fall just shy of being a 5 star, struggling with things like that. With Manning missing practices and not quite there yet, playing a WR like Betts might be exactly what the doctor ordered....🤷🏽

Last edited:
Lubick didn’t say Zavier Betts will or won’t play. He says he’s been practicing with the 2s and some with the 1s. When im reading that, that’s telling me he’s been working out with the backs ups and back up WRs in Frosts offense do indeed play quite a bit. I wouldn’t be surprised if he played quite a bit.

When you got a WR with Zavier Betts talents at WR, you get him in there as much as possible, assuming he knows the playbook and can run block some. Hell, We all have seen teams like Clemson, Alabama, OSU, even Purdue and teams like that play true freshmen WRs all the time and do just fine.

We all knew Betts biggest thing he needed to do to play this year was the playbook and run blocking. Running routes and catching the ball was never an issue for him. You don’t become a Top 59 player struggling with things like that. With Manning missing practices and not quite there yet, playing a WR like Betts might be exactly what the doctor ordered....🤷🏽

I honestly don't know how good Betts is or will be. He at least seems to have the measurables, unlike Bookie who must have some talent to be playing, but was obviously overrated. Hopefully Betts can live up to his rating, but IDK if I'd use his rating to justify anything right now. Looking forward to seeing him play at this level.

We all knew Betts biggest thing he needed to do to play this year was the playbook and run blocking. Running routes and catching the ball was never an issue for him. You don’t become a Top 59 player and fall just shy of being a 5 star, struggling with things like that. With Manning missing practices and not quite there yet, playing a WR like Betts might be exactly what the doctor ordered....🤷🏽

We may see Brown and Fleming more than Betts playing their Freshman year..

We haven’t seen the depth chart and until they trot out on to the field..Rondale, Warner and Falck look to be the starting receivers.. Have my fingers crossed that Manning will be playing in the first couple of games to start the season..

I honestly don't know how good Betts is or will be. He at least seems to have the measurables, unlike Bookie who must have some talent to be playing, but was obviously overrated. Hopefully Betts can live up to his rating, but IDK if I'd use his rating to justify anything right now. Looking forward to seeing him play at this level.

the rating part was just a reminder of the type of talent he was coming in. He already proved to everyone already what he can do going up against other Top 100 4-5 star DBs and showing he’s every bit as good as the other 5 star WRs along side him at The Opening Finals this past recruiting cycle.

But no, I’m not using his ranking as a way of saying how good he will be. It was just a simple reminder of the talents he possesses, along with his 6’2-6’3 200 pound frame that he has, along these type of testing numbers....outside that, I agree. High school ratings mean jack now.

Last edited:
Reactions: GBRforLife1
ADVERTISEMENT