ADVERTISEMENT

Zavier Betts at The Open...link inside

Good point ... I just hope we are hedging our bets given the uncertainty

If Betts is an eligibility risk, then it would make losing Watts hurt that much more. Not blaming the coaches if Watts goes ND, as sometimes a kid's desire to play for his favorite school can't be overcome. Just saying it will hurt to have two big time WR prospects in Omaha and end up with neither on campus to start 2020.

It just shocks me that anyone could find themselves in this situation.
High school/minimum act is soooooo easy.

OR you mean he STRUGGLED with it till he realized he was going to lose everything unless he got it going. It says in his quotes he had to redo a few classes (which matches up with what you HEARD). But that issue is correctable and then all he needs is a decent ACT. Sure the kid struggled before but by no means that means he cant correct it now and still make it. Those schools offer a ton of help and sounds like he’s taking advantage of it all. I remember this exact same thing about Mo Washington and we seen how that played out. All they need to do is apply themselves and when you have Frost and the staff all over him to make it, it helps that much more to stay focused. plus side, it’s not hard to get in Nebraska;)
It was a minor miracle that Mo Washington made it to Lincoln. The coaches know that.

The issue isn't resources. It's that the "want to" is being applied too late in the process for him.

Well I’ll say this. I’ll take Zavier Betts word on the class issues being an easy fix and just needing to get his ACT right over a teacher word claiming he won’t make it (sorry if it was the principal or guidance counselor, I’d take more weight into it). And no, Frost can’t make it for him but he will know exactly what Betts needs to do to get there and if Betts is worth the risk on using a scholarship on or not. When we see Betts saying “I don’t have the ACT score yet, and I am going to take the ACT as much as possible in the next year,” he said. “I am pulling the grades up now because I am retaking some things so that part shouldn’t be an issue.” I tend to believe the young man, two Frost and number of other Head Coaches believes he would make...so naturally, i tend to believe it too. I’ll admit, sounds like he slacked off before but it sounds like he seen his error and correcting it now. And I haven’t seen anywhere about 3 years worth of catching up anywhere. Just needing to fix a few things. It can be done, and fairly easily. Take said classes over, apply himself, grade out better this time around and get a decent ACT score and he’s golden. It’s not hard to get into Nebraska...thank God.
I'm not trying to pick on you. I'm catching up on the conversation. But it seems like you're attacking people who may have a little more information about the situation than you do.

I 100% hope he ends up qualifying and has an outstanding 4 year career at UNL. But you realize you're taking the word of a kid who is saying, "it shouldn't be a big deal" when that is the exact attitude that got him in this hole in the first place? He has incentive to save face on not sound the alarm bells in an interview. What did you expect him to say? "I don't think I'm gonna qualify?" Have you ever heard of a recruit telling a interviewer that?

Reactions: timnsun
Jeremy Pernell said there is a 90% chance he doesn't make it. He's dug too deep of a hole to climb out of. He generally knows what he's talking about, and he doesn't say stuff like that if he isn't confident in what he knows.

Pernell is discussing things he doesn't know. A lot of people are going to make sure Betts is eligible.

Reactions: Bigred_b1624
4.59 40? I realize he's not a burner, and is more of a bigger, possession WR, but even still that's a little on the slow side, no?
For some context...assuming this is a FAT time, Stanley Morgan ran a 4.53 40 at the NFL combine. That's after being in 5 years of S&C training on top of specifically training for the 40. Anyone who has ran or has knowledge of how the timing works on FAT 40's knows that a TON of time can be shaved off with proper technique.

Stan was a technician with his routes, and that makes more of a difference than top end speed. WOuld I like him to be a 4.4 guy? Absolutely, but in terms of playing the game, I'll take a route runner over a burner...as long as we have a few of those on the roster already. :)

Pernell is discussing things he doesn't know. A lot of people are going to make sure Betts is eligible.
I hope he does get eligible. With that said, Pernell appears to have had discussions with people who are close to the situation. He could still end up qualifying. I'm curious if you know specifically what he's missing?

There's a reason Betts' only other offers were Iowa, Iowa State, Minnesota, and South Dakota State.

A Top 50 talent like him would have had offers from every top program in the nation if they believed he would qualify academically. Look at Xavier Watts' offer list in comparison, and he's only a 3-star recruit.

There's a reason Betts' only other offers were Iowa, Iowa State, Minnesota, and South Dakota State.

A Top 50 talent like him would have had offers from every top program in the nation if they believed he would qualify academically. Look at Xavier Watts' offer list in comparison, and he's only a 3-star recruit.

probably you're right

but also this isn't atypical if he told everyone he's a husker from the get-go, don't waste your time. we see this in baseball all the time when top prospects are going pro, nobody even bothers to offer them.

so, not always a reflection of qualification issues, but I do see your point

also, it's not like we need him splitting atoms. get an 18 on the ACT & graduate from high school. dumb kids playing college football is a tale as old as time.

Throw bones is right, it is the want that is often missing. My wife teaches at a school that routinely has 10-15 Division 1 prospects each year across all sports and about 5 of them are football. The last 3 years she has become the "go to" math teacher to help those that need help retaking classes or otherwise need to get their grades up. These kids have everyone on their asses to get the job done; the college coaches, the high school coaches, the principal, their parents but it is on the kids.

The past 2 years she has had a football player each year that ended up in the Big Ten. They both needed Algebra 2 (along with other things) to qualify. Both kids started out strong showing up every morning and doing the work. Once that got boring they stopped showing up. It got to the point this year that the kid's father would drive him to school and hold his hand walking through the school to my wife's room because that was the only way he would do the work that needed to be done. Ultimately he made it, enrolled early and has an outside shot at starting as a true freshman running back in the big ten. A success story but not due to him, it took everyone around him to make up for his lack of want.

The player the year before got lucky. He didn't want to do the work and missed signing day because neither grades nor ACT score was there. Lucky for him the school held the scholly open and he made it in about April or May. When my wife asked him how the ACT went his answer was "I cheated" so it was good. That could have been just an 18 year old talking but clearly he was fortunate the coaches gave him the time they gave him. He played sparingly in the spring game and did not look fit for the field so my guess is the coaches have him focused on school first and he isn't spending much time with the team.

Reactions: ThrowBones92
You also have to remember that the first 10 core classes stay on the transcript and are factored into the GPA even if they are retaken. So if a kid fails freshman algebra, retakes it and gets an A, he still only has a 2.0 GPA in that class. Depending on how many low grades he has in those 10 classes, the battle could be tough to overcome and for him to get the GPA needed. Keep in mind the GPA for eligibility is core classes only, the A in PE and Art doesn’t matter.

also, it's not like we need him splitting atoms. get an 18 on the ACT & graduate from high school. dumb kids playing college football is a tale as old as time.

It's a little more complicated than that. You have to complete so many units of each of the core subjects (English, Math, Science) and obtain a certain GPA in those courses in order to qualify. You also have to complete a certain number of those units before the start of your senior year. The lower your GPA in those courses, the higher your ACT score must be to qualify.

Reactions: Top_Gun_
You also have to remember that the first 10 core classes stay on the transcript and are factored into the GPA even if they are retaken. So if a kid fails freshman algebra, retakes it and gets an A, he still only has a 2.0 GPA in that class. Depending on how many low grades he has in those 10 classes, the battle could be tough to overcome and for him to get the GPA needed. Keep in mind the GPA for eligibility is core classes only, the A in PE and Art doesn’t matter.

Bingo. People think there is "always time" to fix something not realizing the damage has been done. It's not like a faucet, you just don't suddenly turn things on to fix the problem that happened over three years, Getting kids to understand all of that is difficult, they always think at the last minute something is going to happen to bail them out. I wish I had a dime for every time kids thought they had things figured out only to find a way to just get by because that is what they have learned through the system.

ADVERTISEMENT