ADVERTISEMENT

Zavier Betts at The Open...link inside

huskerssalts

Defensive Coordinator
Oct 6, 2014
Beatrice Nebraska
D-bs-elWwAEHfJw.jpg

Dudes going to be an absolute BEAST for us. He says he will sign in December but won’t be an early enrollment player, says that he wants to run track and he WILL enroll during summer. We got ourselves a good one in Z Betts. GBR.

Last edited:
The amount of talent we’re stacking is ridiculous. Add that to the fact that mostly, they’re really good kids and students as well and that’s a recipe for success

Reactions: huskerssalts
The amount of talent we’re stacking is ridiculous. Add that to the fact that mostly, they’re really good kids and students as well and that’s a recipe for success

Exactly bro. We are getting in some great players. And I found out what everyone is worried about with Betts. It’s his ACT score. Here’s his quote about it “I don’t have the ACT score yet, and I am going to take the ACT as much as possible in the next year,” he said. “I am pulling the grades up now because I am retaking some things so that part shouldn’t be an issue.” To me that doesn’t sound like he’s screwed and Juco bound at all. I got faith in the young man get the score needed and he WILL be a Husker. GBR

Last edited:
Reactions: hskr_bdgr
Exactly bro. We are getting in some great players. And I found out what everyone is worried about with Betts. It’s his ACT score. Here’s his quote about it “I don’t have the ACT score yet, and I am going to take the ACT as much as possible in the next year,” he said. “I am pulling the grades up now because I am retaking some things so that part shouldn’t be an issue.” To me that doesn’t sound like he’s screwed and Juco bound at all. I got faith in the young man get the score needed and he WILL be a Husker. GBR
I think ultimately what will happen is that he’ll pull out an ACT score between 18-20 and be easily eligible. I could be wrong, but with the extra work he’ll be doing, a higher score is inevitable.

I think ultimately what will happen is that he’ll pull out an ACT score between 18-20 and be easily eligible. I could be wrong, but with the extra work he’ll be doing, a higher score is inevitable.

Exactly...we seen a number of players just needing his ACT score right and they tend to pull it off. If he’s putting in the extra work and working hard...no way he doesn’t make it.

Exactly...we seen a number of players just needing his ACT score right and they tend to pull it off. If he’s putting in the extra work and working hard...no way he doesn’t make it.
Especially in that school district. They have a lot of resources available over there so if he were to not pull it off, it would basically be because he didn’t want to. Fortunately, that’s not going to be the case at all. He’s going to work hard, get the necessary work in, and make it happen

From what I have heard the kid will never qualify. People who go to practices have told me they don’t expect him to make it to campus.

Reactions: ThrowBones92
Looks like lots of speculation, however it seems clear that he is not currently eligible and therefore a risk.

Hope he makes it

Last edited:
Yea I’ll take Betts word over a “few people going to practices”. He directly says he had to redo a couple classes and get his ACT score. Then you have Frost, Ferentz and other Head Coaches not to worried. I’ll take all that over hearing outside talking mouths GUESSING he won’t make it. We also seen the same crap on M Washington and he made it.

Looks like lots of speculation, however it seems clear that he is not currently eligible and therefore a risk.

Technically, no current high school entering their senior year is eligible..... considering they haven't completed their senior year of high school.

Reactions: TFrazier
Technically, no current high school entering their senior year is eligible..... considering they haven't completed their senior year of high school.

Yes you are correct - I will amend my statement and say at present, given his gpa and test score combo, he is not on track to be eligible.

Last edited:
Let's play hypothetical....Betts doesn't qualify. Does that change anyone's mind about Watts? I think the fact that Betts' eligibility is even in question makes Watts a pretty high priority. JMO and I'm 100% sure no one in Memorial stadium cares what my opinion is.

Reactions: jlb321
If he applies himself even a little bit, takes advantage of tools there at that school and keeps working...he will be fine. Plus he will have Frost, Walters and the staff all over his butt all year coming up...I have no doubt in my mind that this young man will be wearing Red and that N on his helmet.

Reactions: dochay
From what I have heard the kid will never qualify. People who go to practices have told me they don’t expect him to make it to campus.
You seem pretty sure... I wonder though... are you a good source of information?... hmmmm how would I know?...
Bolts wife hates Nebraska and made him leave last time. He won’t be coming.
LOLOLOLOLOLLaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing

Yea I’ll take Betts word over a “few people going to practices”. He directly says he had to redo a couple classes and get his ACT score. Then you have Frost, Ferentz and other Head Coaches not to worried. I’ll take all that over hearing outside talking mouths GUESSING he won’t make it. We also seen the same crap on M Washington and he made it.
I know a teacher at Bellevue West who has said he needs a lot of work. I won't say any more than that, but I'll take a teachers word over a students any day of the week.

☝ That is not saying the kid can't make it, but he stuggles with academics

I know a teacher at Bellevue West who has said he needs a lot of work. I won't say any more than that, but I'll take a teachers word over a students any day of the week.

☝ That is not saying the kid can't make it, but he stuggles with academics

OR you mean he STRUGGLED with it till he realized he was going to lose everything unless he got it going. It says in his quotes he had to redo a few classes (which matches up with what you HEARD). But that issue is correctable and then all he needs is a decent ACT. Sure the kid struggled before but by no means that means he cant correct it now and still make it. Those schools offer a ton of help and sounds like he’s taking advantage of it all. I remember this exact same thing about Mo Washington and we seen how that played out. All they need to do is apply themselves and when you have Frost and the staff all over him to make it, it helps that much more to stay focused. plus side, it’s not hard to get in Nebraska;)

OR you mean he STRUGGLED with it till he realized he was going to lose everything unless he got it going. It says in his quotes he had to redo a few classes (which matches up with what you HEARD). But that issue is correctable and then all he needs is a decent ACT. Sure the kid struggled before but by no means that means he cant correct it now and still make it. Those schools offer a ton of help and sounds like he’s taking advantage of it all. I remember this exact same thing about Mo Washington and we seen how that played out. All they need to do is apply themselves and when you have Frost and the staff all over him to make it, it helps that much more to stay focused. plus side, it’s not hard to get in Nebraska;)

I always hesitate responding to these types of situations because there are just so many variables involved that we do not know. I have to ask the question why all of the sudden, a student/athlete just needs to "apply themselves.?" At this point they have been in HS for three years and most seniors to be have all of their harder/required classes out of the way.

So, we can "assume" he has to raise his GPA on his core classes and get a qualifying score on his ACT that matches his core GPA. What are a "few" classes he has to retake? Big difference between a Algebra II and speech class or two math classes and an English class.

And you know the coaches can't do a thing about any of it except to encourage him. Yes, Mo was a success story, but each is a bit different. Wish the kid the best, he has three years of academics to make up in one year.

He'll either make it or he won't. Every class has guys that have work to do. No one knows, no matter what they say or who they have talked to.

I always hesitate responding to these types of situations because there are just so many variables involved that we do not know. I have to ask the question why all of the sudden, a student/athlete just needs to "apply themselves.?" At this point they have been in HS for three years and most seniors to be have all of their harder/required classes out of the way.

So, we can "assume" he has to raise his GPA on his core classes and get a qualifying score on his ACT that matches his core GPA. What are a "few" classes he has to retake? Big difference between a Algebra II and speech class or two math classes and an English class.

And you know the coaches can't do a thing about any of it except to encourage him. Yes, Mo was a success story, but each is a bit different. Wish the kid the best, he has three years of academics to make up in one year.

Well I’ll say this. I’ll take Zavier Betts word on the class issues being an easy fix and just needing to get his ACT right over a teacher word claiming he won’t make it (sorry if it was the principal or guidance counselor, I’d take more weight into it). And no, Frost can’t make it for him but he will know exactly what Betts needs to do to get there and if Betts is worth the risk on using a scholarship on or not. When we see Betts saying “I don’t have the ACT score yet, and I am going to take the ACT as much as possible in the next year,” he said. “I am pulling the grades up now because I am retaking some things so that part shouldn’t be an issue.” I tend to believe the young man, two Frost and number of other Head Coaches believes he would make...so naturally, i tend to believe it too. I’ll admit, sounds like he slacked off before but it sounds like he seen his error and correcting it now. And I haven’t seen anywhere about 3 years worth of catching up anywhere. Just needing to fix a few things. It can be done, and fairly easily. Take said classes over, apply himself, grade out better this time around and get a decent ACT score and he’s golden. It’s not hard to get into Nebraska...thank God.

He'll either make it or he won't. Every class has guys that have work to do. No one knows, no matter what they say or who they have talked to.

Agreed...100%. All athletes have work to do. Zavier Betts knows what he needs to do to make (as I’m sure they laid a plan out in front of him on what he needs to do to make it into Nebraska). Let’s cross our fingers and hope he nails it. GBR

So, this is "usually" what happens. 9th grade kills kids...the adjustment...the lack of realization of what is in front of them...it doesn't click for everyone. I was a crappy student in HS but I shut my mouth, didn't cause issues and was nice to my teachers (trust me, as a current teacher, that makes D's turn to C's really fast).

So more than likely he had a craptastic 9th grade year and an average 10th and 11th grade...so that 9th grade is still beating the piss out of him.

So, this is "usually" what happens. 9th grade kills kids...the adjustment...the lack of realization of what is in front of them...it doesn't click for everyone. I was a crappy student in HS but I shut my mouth, didn't cause issues and was nice to my teachers (trust me, as a current teacher, that makes D's turn to C's really fast).

So more than likely he had a craptastic 9th grade year and an average 10th and 11th grade...so that 9th grade is still beating the piss out of him.

Yep, have seen it a hundred times. Algebra and English normally are the culprits. Then soph year geometry is a struggle.

Not sure what NE HS standards are but we have three years of math, the third is usually Algebra II.

We have a really dumb rule in KS where you have to be passing five classes to be eligible but most schools require more credits than that to graduate. Never made sense to me.

A lot depends on which classes he has to retake and how many of the core. That may be the easy part, getting the ACT score could be the challenge. With football camps, season coming up and he is talking track, he has a lot of work to do it sounds like, coming from him.

He is going to have difficulty qualifying. I'm not saying we won't, but I'd lean with the poster that suggested he won't make it. Huge hill to climb at the present time.

Have you seen his transcripts? ACT scores? Just curious.

Me personally, no, but it's a an open message board where I have shared info that I have heard. Not saying I know anything, but just have heard there is a good chance he doesn't make it. Looks like others on this board are hearing the same thing.

.” I tend to believe the young man, two Frost and number of other Head Coaches believes he would make...so naturally, i tend to believe it too. .

a lot of speculation - I think we can surmise what other top programs think his chances of qualifying are based on his offer list

He is a 6.0 4* and the #7 ranked WR in the nation and top 50 overall
He shows 6 offers - Neb, Purdue, Minn, Iowa, Iowa State, South Dakota State

Does that look like a high 4* offer list of a recruit that programs think there is a high likelihood of him qualifying?

The #10 ranked WR in the nation is an Ohio State commit with 20 offers
OSU, Florida, FSU, LSU, ND, Oregon, Washington, USC

Betts offer list is widely discordant from other top 10 position and top 50 overall recruits because high level programs think he is way too high of a risk when they are able to recruit other equally talented prospects. Lower level programs need to take these risks. Hopefully if the wins start coming our future recruiting pitch will be "give us a call when you are qualified and we will see if we still have a spot"

Last edited:
4.59 40? I realize he's not a burner, and is more of a bigger, possession WR, but even still that's a little on the slow side, no?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT