ADVERTISEMENT

Zane Flores- Gretna QB

Out of curiosity I watched Payton’s junior film. Definitely highlights his running- looks good as a runner. Harder to assess his throws but there were a few good ones. He had to scramble almost every play (a la Martinez)... OL looked weak in pass pro.

His season passing totals were similar to Flores’ numbers but Flores only had 8 games vs Payton’s full season.

FWIW - I remember Payton throwing an awful bounce pass in the State championship game, but obviously just one throw.

I just can’t get over the Husker inability to throw passing TDs last two seasons.
How are they on swing passes? Winking

If he’s good enough for the offers he reports and is in our backyard, we should offer IMHO

How do you know that?
Just the OWH article referencing schools taking notice:
““Iowa, Iowa State and Arizona State have had some small-talk conversations with me,” Flores said. “It’s really just getting to know me, and me them, right now.””

Sounds like Nebraska has not been talking with him yet, unless he didn’t disclose that. Iowa and Iowa St have taken first crack with a few local targets in the last few years I think (Carnie being an example).

Just the OWH article referencing schools taking notice:
““Iowa, Iowa State and Arizona State have had some small-talk conversations with me,” Flores said. “It’s really just getting to know me, and me them, right now.””

Sounds like Nebraska has not been talking with him yet, unless he didn’t disclose that. Iowa and Iowa St have taken first crack with a few local targets in the last few years I think (Carnie being an example).
I’d be shocked if they haven’t

Reactions: OzzyLvr and timnsun
Anyone else had a chance to see this kid’s hudl? I wasn’t familiar with him until Matt Vrzal said Nebraska should offer him now. Pretty impressive arm and only a sophomore. Iowa, ISU, and Arizona State already reaching out.

Love the name. He sounds like a quarterback

He was slow-played by the staff until he bought the row-boat poo. There is a very tuned-in poster on HuskerMax by the handle of ShortSideOption who has expanded on this. Bottom line, the staff blew it and then has had to play catch-up. Given today's crystal balls, he's going to Duck Soup.
He will end up transferring from Oregon if he does end up there

Just listened to Sean Callahan's interview with Zane and he said Nebraska hasn't reached out at all. A bunch of other Division 1 schools have, but not Nebraska...

Well if Ioway and the Cyclones are offering what’s holding Verduzco/ SF from offering at this point..

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Well if Ioway and the Cyclones are offering what’s holding Verduzco/ SF from offering at this point..

I don’t think either have actually offered though, have they? Of course Iowa does that thing where they won’t officially offer until they are sure the kid will commit.

I don’t think either have actually offered though, have they? Of course Iowa does that thing where they won’t officially offer until they are sure the kid will commit.

Earlier OWH article had say both them and ARIZONA St have taken notice and he said he has been given Division 1 offers but not NU yet..

Last edited:
Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Earlier OWH article had say both them and Ariana St have taken notice and he said he has been given Division 1 offers but not NU yet..

OK. I don’t see any offers listed on his profile and he didn’t put any on his Twitter. I know Northwestern is also in contact with him, but didn’t think any P5’s have offered yet. It’s just silly that we aren’t even talking to the kid.

Frost and Verduzco are too busy courting QB recruits with offers from powerhouses like UTSA

Have you watched that kids highlights? He will be good and get a bunch of offers. Not a reason not to be in contact with Flores, but he is pretty good and has picked up new offers the last couple days.

Reactions: HominidHusker
Arizona.. guess you never typed too fast on a cell phone 🙉
Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuure....

Nothing to do with this, I'll bet...;)
ariana-grande-thank-you-next_1024x1024.gif

Have you watched that kids highlights? He will be good and get a bunch of offers. Not a reason not to be in contact with Flores, but he is pretty good and has picked up new offers the last couple days.

Still we need to not pass on completely compatible QB from our own state like the QB from Westside last year not offering him and he takes his talents to No.Dakota St.

Last edited:
240 yds per game passing
2.25 TDs per game passing (+1 rushing/gm)

The vision and decisiveness stood out, plus hitting so many deep throws in stride! Only a few balls off target.

Yeah. I also didn’t want to get suckered into immediate hype, but immediately noticed this HS sophomore shows more QB skills/acumen than our college Junior.
You just couldn't resist taking a shot at AM. How exactly help anyone. AM is going to surprise all of half empty glass attitude.

You just couldn't resist taking a shot at AM. How exactly help anyone. AM is going to surprise all of half empty glass attitude.
I would kill for AM to shock the world and play like an all-conference QB.

I would also enjoy world peace and unlimited funds, in case you're a genie, or something.

Reactions: HominidHusker
I was skeptical until I heard about the big pep talk AM got in Manhattan. Now I'm expecting big things.
I think a lot will depend on whether Smothers or someone can give him some real stiff competition. He needs to feel someone breathing down his neck to perform well. JMO.

I think a lot will depend on whether Smothers or someone can give him some real stiff competition. He needs to feel someone breathing down his neck to perform well. JMO.
what evidence is there of this claim?

prior to getting benched last year, he was atrocious. after regaining his starting spot, we barely beat purdue and rutgers despite him getting all kinds of help from the other 21 guys on O and D, while he accounted for 6 turnovers in those wins.

Just listened to Sean Callahan's interview with Zane and he said Nebraska hasn't reached out at all. A bunch of other Division 1 schools have, but not Nebraska...

To me it’s inexcusable to not be in communication with a kid like him.
EVERY Nebraska kid should be on our radar before other states find them for us.
It’s pretty negligent.

Offering is a different ball game altogether, but we can’t afford to be late to the party for our local talent.

I don’t mean anything personal against AM. I’ve said before, I think he’s a great kid and a great teammate. I wish him nothing but the best, and also hope he comes out on fire this year.
While a bit skeptical, I don’t think he’s hopeless.

I only meant it as more matter of fact based on my personal observations.
I also think it’s as much on Frost and Verduzco for not having Adrian playing better ball at this point.
But the stats show, and the eye test has shown me that unfortunately, he’s just not cutting it thus far (3 years in).
Blame OL and WR’s whenever needed, but I also look at inaccurate short throws, misreads, late decisions, his low rating with a clean pocket, fumbling, etc.

This fits in with a quiet narrative among the top 2022 prospects in-state-- either Nebraska doesn't recruit them as hard as they do similar prospects from far away places or Nebraska's recruiting effort just doesn't compare to what other schools are doing.

Maybe that's wrong-- maybe the reason Nebraska isn't trying hard for those guys is because they don't think they have a chance so why waste the effort. But as to this Gretna QB, for crying out loud, recruit the kid. We're dying for a field general who is a great passer and decent runner. I'm sick of the scattershot passers with poor vision who see shadows in the pocket and do not keep their eyes downfield.

ADVERTISEMENT