ADVERTISEMENT

Zane Flores- Gretna QB

GBR_Atlanta

Redshirt Freshman
Mar 9, 2015
Anyone else had a chance to see this kid’s hudl? I wasn’t familiar with him until Matt Vrzal said Nebraska should offer him now. Pretty impressive arm and only a sophomore. Iowa, ISU, and Arizona State already reaching out.

It's the new Millard.

By the time they put us in the ground, the recruiting hotbeds will be Linoma, Memphis and Yutan.

Gretna is not exactly a quaint little community anymore is it? I used to road bike out there quite a bit and had zero qualms about riding thru there on Hwy 6 without a shoulder....not now. Houses going up everywhere....

Not as much air under the ball as in most high school films. Passes seemed to get to the target in a hurry.
His film shows someone who can read a defense quickly and quick release. There's a couple throws in there where he holds his eyes to one side of the field and then fires the ball over the middle/different side of the field. That's impressive for SOPH tape

His film shows someone who can read a defense quickly and quick release. There's a couple throws in there where he holds his eyes to one side of the field and then fires the ball over the middle/different side of the field. That's impressive for SOPH tape
Agree with this too, but what really jumped out at me was the trajectory of his passes. A lot of high school highlight reels are filled with parabolas that look nice on film, but would never get past a college DB. Not this one, though.

Agree with this too, but what really jumped out at me was the trajectory of his passes. A lot of high school highlight reels are filled with parabolas that look nice on film, but would never get past a college DB. Not this one, though.
Why do all the high school receivers on Huddle videos look better than ours, lol.

Gretna is not exactly a quaint little community anymore is it? I used to road bike out there quite a bit and had zero qualms about riding thru there on Hwy 6 without a shoulder....not now. Houses going up everywhere....

I know they are class A now as well. All I remember about Gretna growing up was the outlet mall.

My natural inclination would be to crap all over any hype for a sophomore QB from Nebraska, but that film looks pretty legit. I'm impressed.

man I thought so too. But when Vrz started talking about him on Husker Hangover I checked out his tape. Couldn’t believe the kid is only a sophomore.

I thought the line judge showed good speed on the play that starts around 2:45 into the sophomore highlights.

He looks pretty good as a sophomore. I hope we can get him to Lincoln.

Reactions: ThereIsNoPlace
How big is he? IMO Frost needs to offer him now and try to lock him up. He is definitely going to have a good enough arm for Division 1 football so at worst he can be a project or he could end up being a stud. Better get on him now just in case he starts blowing up.

Reactions: GBR_Atlanta
Anyone else had a chance to see this kid’s hudl? I wasn’t familiar with him until Matt Vrzal said Nebraska should offer him now. Pretty impressive arm and only a sophomore. Iowa, ISU, and Arizona State already reaching out.

He's actually my cousin's grandson.

He's actually my roommates's cousin's grandson.
3303843cce41db6ac807b9de58364e188787c016.gifv

240 yds per game passing
2.25 TDs per game passing (+1 rushing/gm)

The vision and decisiveness stood out, plus hitting so many deep throws in stride! Only a few balls off target.

Yeah. I also didn’t want to get suckered into immediate hype, but immediately noticed this HS sophomore shows more QB skills/acumen than our college Junior.

Reactions: huntered
240 yds per game passing
2.25 TDs per game passing (+1 rushing/gm)

The vision and decisiveness stood out, plus hitting so many deep throws in stride! Only a few balls off target.

Yeah. I also didn’t want to get suckered into immediate hype, but immediately noticed this HS sophomore shows more QB skills/acumen than our college Junior.

Given how Dickerson's recruiting was handled I hope like hell the staff has learned not to take local talent for granted.

Went back and watched Adrian’s junior HS film for comparison (remembering I liked it when we first landed him).

1. Smaller sample of throws, but he looks like a better passer 4 years ago. Coach V (cough)

2. A lot of his broken down/improvised plays like what we see now... requiring 5 seconds to get rid of the ball.
I know Mahomes, Wilson and Rogers excel with that style, but you still need the ability to deliver an accurate ball on a regular route. Something Martinez cannot do.

3. Zane Flores gets ball and delivers ball on target. Yes, please.

Reactions: CatColumbia
Given how Dickerson's recruiting was handled I hope like hell the staff has learned not to take local talent for granted.

My gut tells me they’ll be all over this kid.

I’m not ready to proclaim him the next 5 star level QB, but I genuinely think he looks better as a sophomore in HS than our college junior.

Give this kid two weeks development under Verduzco and he will turn those 55 yard throws into 40 Yards and offline with ease. Just gotta change that slot for his throw and give him a huge Cigar. He will be the future of the program until he enters the transfer portal.

Reactions: bomber89
The staff recruited Dickerson as well as they could have. The kid just doesn’t like the Corn.

He was slow-played by the staff until he bought the row-boat poo. There is a very tuned-in poster on HuskerMax by the handle of ShortSideOption who has expanded on this. Bottom line, the staff blew it and then has had to play catch-up. Given today's crystal balls, he's going to Duck Soup.

Reactions: CatColumbia
Give this kid two weeks development under Verduzco and he will turn those 55 yard throws into 40 Yards and offline with ease. Just gotta change that slot for his throw and give him a huge Cigar. He will be the future of the program until he enters the transfer portal.

Wow. You seem fun.

Reactions: yunginsNU2
My gut tells me they’ll be all over this kid.

I’m not ready to proclaim him the next 5 star level QB, but I genuinely think he looks better as a sophomore in HS than our college junior.
The next Cole Payton? Let’s hope not.

Early & often, Frost & co!

The next Cole Payton? Let’s hope not.

Early & often, Frost & co!
Out of curiosity I watched Payton’s junior film. Definitely highlights his running- looks good as a runner. Harder to assess his throws but there were a few good ones. He had to scramble almost every play (a la Martinez)... OL looked weak in pass pro.

His season passing totals were similar to Flores’ numbers but Flores only had 8 games vs Payton’s full season.

FWIW - I remember Payton throwing an awful bounce pass in the State championship game, but obviously just one throw.

I just can’t get over the Husker inability to throw passing TDs last two seasons.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT