ADVERTISEMENT

Zack and AJ getting some love

inWV

Offensive Coordinator
Sep 22, 2007
Per LJS article. Stanton? Something doesn't add up for that kid. Third string behind Fyfe last year and now losing ink to younger guys.

I personally never saw the hype over Stanton. Odd mechanics, and he really seemed to lack touch on his passes. Granted I didn't mow over tape, but what I did watch he seemed to consistently hang the ball in the air on deep throws. When you see a receiver running in place or slowing down so they don't over run a pass it's never a good sign.

I imagine he's developed since then. And Id be a-ok with him suddenly busting out Heisman caliber moves. I've just never been overly impressed with the tape.

The real test for any QB will be to see how they actually perform in a REAL game in the Fall. Some QBs are great practice QBs but cannot handle the mental stress when a real game is on the line. So, outside of Tommy, we don't really know. And the Spring Game obviously does not count as a real game.

Spring game is the closest thing we'll have to a game since the USC Holiday Bowl. Either the lights will bring out the best in someone or it won't, it's that simple.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Watched Stanton in person out here...his line at the time might have been better than Nebraskas

Those two are getting some love because the media finally got to interview them. The redshirt freshmen have been allowed to talk to the media this week, and both Bush and Darlington talked to the media yesterday.

Actually, we don't really know about Tommy, Great 2 minute guy when he is on; even as a fan, he seems to not see the field and throw a lot of interceptions and be unsettled at times. You can't make all the throws if you don't do progressions and see the field.

If the board sheeple would quit trying to get their workouts in by jumping to conclusions all these ridiculous predictions about QBs who have barely played or RBs who haven't even could stop and we could let it play out on the field. But that wouldn't satisfy the sheeples' need for drama.

Liked reading about them both and AJ's interview was great - very composed confident kid. What I liked most though was how they both spoke about Langsdorf and how critical timing is. How their footwork had to match the receivers' routes. AJ said something about when he does what Langsdorf tells him it is always a good result. Zack said they were noticing the difference between making the completion and being on time. Far cry from the "punt it for all I care, just get the ball there" type comments from Beck. I'm just inferring from the comments that the coaching of these guys is a little different now.

Originally posted by suhnami:
If the board sheeple would quit trying to get their workouts in by jumping to conclusions all these ridiculous predictions about QBs who have barely played or RBs who haven't even could stop and we could let it play out on the field. But that wouldn't satisfy the sheeples' need for drama.
How dare people talk about an exciting new time and some possible new starters at really important spots on our favorite football team, on a message board no less. Buncha freaking dorks anyway!!

The whole Darlington story confuses me. I asked several months ago on here about the status of Darlington (given all of his concussions) and was assured by HTO that there was no way he would ever see the field. I trust HTO and his information is almost always spot-on so I dropped it. But now it seems the kid is actually really in the mix for playing time.

I know it is possible to recover from even severe concussions if you are young. I am living proof of that having nearly died in a sky diving accident when I was 21 due to severe head injury after a tree branch decided to introduce itself to my skull. (no jokes please, ha). I recovered and even went on to play club Rugby.

But .... I did get another concussion while playing Ruby - - a mild one - - and it scared me enough to just hang up contact sports for good. And here is the thing - - I played Rugby after getting "medically cleared" to do so.

I am happy for Darlington and I hope he really can play, is fully recovered, and that he never again has a concussion. But damn the kid is taking a chance. I wish him luck.

This post was edited on 4/10 9:05 AM by Pennsyhusker

I really think who is in the mix and who isn't is yet to be decided. I think everyone is learning a new system, new style and new coaching. It doesn't sound like anyone has really taken that next step to distinguish themselves as the outright starter. Sounds like Tommy just has an edge right now. I think the live scrimmage will really show the differences. We've heard that some of the qbs crush under the pressure of an actual game. We will see who emerges.

Anyone have a link for the Darlington interview?

And who the heck is that on the right side picture of the Journal Star's story about freshman QB's (Photos: Nebraska Spring Practice 4.8.15) with the Snidely Whiplash mustache? DE Ross Dzuris??? What kind of trend did Westerkamp start!

Originally posted by TwinsRRUs:
Anyone have a link for the Darlington interview?

And who the heck is that on the right side picture of the Journal Star's story about freshman QB's (Photos: Nebraska Spring Practice 4.8.15) with the Snidely Whiplash mustache? DE Ross Dzuris??? What kind of trend did Westerkamp start!

Zach/AJ

It's apples and oranges when comparing QB evaluation from the old staff to the new staff. No way in hell that Langsdorf is ever going to put faith in a QB with terrible mechanics and obviously after watching T-Mart for 4 years, the old staff didn't value QB fundamentals like the new staff does. So if Stanton's throwing motion is really as bad as advertised then I just don't see him ever contributing @ QB @ NU.

I don't think anyone really knows who will be the QB. I believe MR. I don't think he is just using the "jobs open speak" as coach speak. I think so many of us are so snake bit by BO's old coach speak that we think that everything MR says is a lie. I am happy for AJ. I think he's our future.

Originally posted by spinner4:

It's apples and oranges when comparing QB evaluation from the old staff to the new staff. No way in hell that Langsdorf is ever going to put faith in a QB with terrible mechanics and obviously after watching T-Mart for 4 years, the old staff didn't value QB fundamentals like the new staff does. So if Stanton's throwing motion is really as bad as advertised then I just don't see him ever contributing @ QB @ NU.

I don't think anyone really knows who will be the QB. I believe MR. I don't think he is just using the "jobs open speak" as coach speak. I think so many of us are so snake bit by BO's old coach speak that we think that everything MR says is a lie. I am happy for AJ. I think he's our future.
Well, I am on record as putting my hope in AJ or Stanton, well I am half right. Darlington looks good too. TA has more experience and is a better runner, but will his passing skills be close to equal that of AJ and Darl?

Originally posted by spinner4:

i stated before spring practice that this was the time that Bush and Stanton separate. Don't see both staying in the program long term depending on where the depth chart ends up. Stanton seems to be the odd man out at this point but still lots od football to be played. I'm sure Fife is a good kid but damn putting him on scholarship hurts. I get he was second string last year but I think that was more of a function of the other QBs being young and not yet developed. I can't believe that the plan was for Fife to remain the backup or even compete with TA as Stanton, Bush and Darlington mature.

This post was edited on 4/10 4:36 PM by jlb321

It doesn't really matter what we believe. I believe Fife earned what he earned at the time. What I did get to see of him convinced me more. I have no inside view like many. So, I judge by insight of what I do see; and the gracious insight of those who post here with more access and training than me. But the rumor mill let us know of AJ's potential very early, from player comments. So we common fans speculate; and want all to get a fair shot.
Even the top recruiting teams of the latest years, jump freshmen into starting positions ; think how many 4 and 5* recruits they jump to do that. If you can't think of examples, you don't follow a lot of football. I like TA, and think he should see the field in some situations ; even if he is not the starter. People say he is something like 17-5 as a starter; but a couple of those may be RK3 rescue jobs; and many here would question keeping Coach Riley if he goes 17-5 ( true ). So no ; the Spring game won't tell all; but a lot of us have watched a lot of football; and if open minded , don't deny the talent we do see. GBR Cheers to the non negative.

Originally posted by Pennsyhusker:
The whole Darlington story confuses me. I asked several months ago on here about the status of Darlington (given all of his concussions) and was assured by HTO that there was no way he would ever see the field. I trust HTO and his information is almost always spot-on so I dropped it. But now it seems the kid is actually really in the mix for playing time.

I know it is possible to recover from even severe concussions if you are young. I am living proof of that having nearly died in a sky diving accident when I was 21 due to severe head injury after a tree branch decided to introduce itself to my skull. (no jokes please, ha). I recovered and even went on to play club Rugby.

But .... I did get another concussion while playing Ruby - - a mild one - - and it scared me enough to just hang up contact sports for good. And here is the thing - - I played Rugby after getting "medically cleared" to do so.

I am happy for Darlington and I hope he really can play, is fully recovered, and that he never again has a concussion. But damn the kid is taking a chance. I wish him luck.
Zack looked good today, it's hard to believe he won't make the three-deep at QB after today.

ADVERTISEMENT