ADVERTISEMENT

Zach Smith

What...do they think if they let someone with a DUI in, the person is going to get hammered and hit a moose or something? That may be true, but they also need to keep in mind that the drunk might also hit Justin Bieber, Celine Dion, or Michael Buble'. That would be a fair trade off.

Run over a moose...you're in trouble. Run over a moose...and then run over Justin Bieber, and all will be forgiven..
It's not just a DUI, but quite a few things that will keep you out.

It’s probably post 9/11 because before that you didn’t even need a passport to enter Canada from the US. If you showed an ID other than a driver’s license, I doubt they could have connected someone to a DUI without a passport to scan.

I'm not sure the history behind it, but I feel like the Canadians did it in part because there was such a huge presence in the oil sands from Americans, and this was a way to deter it. That is my own personal opinion, and I hate Canada.

What...do they think if they let someone with a DUI in, the person is going to get hammered and hit a moose or something? That may be true, but they also need to keep in mind that the drunk might also hit Justin Bieber, Celine Dion, or Michael Buble'. That would be a fair trade off.

Run over a moose...you're in trouble. Run over a moose...and then run over Justin Bieber, and all will be forgiven..
Why the hate on Michael Buble'??

I'm not sure the history behind it, but I feel like the Canadians did it in part because there was such a huge presence in the oil sands from Americans, and this was a way to deter it. That is my own personal opinion, and I hate Canada.

This. Doing any kind of business up there is a pain in the arse, really. Almost always layer upon layer of government bureaucracy to contend with if you're trying to sell anything.

But you can get a felony speeding ticket

https://www.drivinglaws.org/resourc...aims/is-driving-over-100-mph-a-felony-offense

and not all DUI's are a felony

http://www.duianswer.com/library/when-is-dui-a-felony-offense.cfm

Look, this dork probably beat his wife and he should be beaten by 5 big angry dudes for doing that...but I am not on board with people trying to hang him for not telling his boss about what became a misdemeanor.

Again if he drove a company car he probably is requred to inform someone that he got a ticket. I think the larger point is that Urbo prob knew of this incident as well as the others u vant plead ignorance especially on something like this.

He also got some damn special tosu t reatment in getting the charges lowered. It wasnt just a typical dui stop. He was speeding and he refused to take a brethalyzer in top of that. Yet he didnt even get a wet and reckless he got it bumped all the way down to a nothing charge from the home cookin.

Again if he drove a company car he probably is requred to inform someone that he got a ticket. I think the larger point is that Urbo prob knew of this incident as well as the others u vant plead ignorance especially on something like this.

He also got some damn special tosu t reatment in getting the charges lowered. It wasnt just a typical dui stop. He was speeding and he refused to take a brethalyzer in top of that. Yet he didnt even get a wet and reckless he got it bumped all the way down to a nothing charge from the home cookin.

Shoot, I hear what you are saying but I would love it if I got special treatment. We would all take it if we could!

Urb probably did know but is that really a big deal? Dude gets some "nothing" driving charge, who cares.

The other shit he did, now that stuff matters.

Reactions: bshirt73
Shoot, I hear what you are saying but I would love it if I got special treatment. We would all take it if we could!

Urb probably did know but is that really a big deal? Dude gets some "nothing" driving charge, who cares.

The other shit he did, now that stuff matters.

The ultimate charge may have been lowerd, but he was driving drunk and refused a breathalyzer and was speeding what he did was more serious than what the home cookiing lowered it to.. As a coach i would treat it as a dui. Now this would have been in addition to his previous beating his wife incident. Then u add the 2015 incident. All these things add up to a "wtf is this guy still on ur staff Urban"?

If you have a DUI it is very difficult to get in, and your company has to hire an attorney and you as the individual have quite a bit of stuff to do. I had to do paperwork and a few things for open container and a fake ID charge that happened when I was in college. It's a bitch to do.
How can they possibly enforce that at customs? Surely they can't run a background check on everyone entering the country.

The ultimate charge may have been lowerd, but he was driving drunk and refused a breathalyzer and was speeding what he did was more serious than what the home cookiing lowered it to.. As a coach i would treat it as a dui. Now this would have been in addition to his previous beating his wife incident. Then u add the 2015 incident. All these things add up to a "wtf is this guy still on ur staff Urban"?

Look I get what you are saying. I would not consider it a DUI and I would not can him for a traffic violation. I would can him for the beatings.

And home cooking, like I said, if it benefits me then I am all for it. In this case, I don't care because it doesn't impact me.

College football = big $$$

Skipped out of a bad conference. Home early. Grey Goose and friends...

Look I get what you are saying. I would not consider it a DUI and I would not can him for a traffic violation. I would can him for the beatings.

And home cooking, like I said, if it benefits me then I am all for it. In this case, I don't care because it doesn't impact me.

But it was a dui..lol thats what u are not getting. He refused a breath test aka because he was prob drunk.when u refuse u are automatically guilty. A minor traffic violation doeant carry a 3 day jail sentance like his refusal to submit to the breath test. He has a suspended 3 day jail sentance as part of his plea.
Owi, or duis are hardly minlr in the state of ohio.

He already had one beating that urbo knew about by the time he got this dui.
Then he has the other beating in 2015..
So u got two beatings sandwiched between a dui that he plead down.. dude should have been long gone from the staff.

But it was a dui..lol thats what u are not getting. He refused a breath test aka because he was prob drunk.when u refuse u are automatically guilty. A minor traffic violation doeant carry a 3 day jail sentance like his refusal to submit to the breath test. He has a suspended 3 day jail sentance as part of his plea.

So u got two beatings sandwiched between a dui that he plead down.. dude should have been long gone from the staff.

I might be not getting it. I thought he was NOT convicted of a DUI.

I might be not getting it. I thought he was NOT convicted of a DUI.

He plead it down, but he refused a breath test. So in other words he was driving drunk just didnt get the charge for it because of the home cooking plea that the judge gave him. Not taking a breath test in ohio is 3 days in jail plus 1yr license suspension.

He pled it down, but mainly because of the home cooking, but he was driving drunk.

I would count that as a dui if I was his employer based on the fact that he refused the breathalyzer.

If it was not serious, he wouldnt have gotten a 3day jail suspended sentance as part of his plea agreement. Minor traffic violations do not carry 3 day jail sentances attached to them.

U keep saying it was a minor traffic violation which it is not, no matter what his plea was is the point. He would have never gotten it plead down to that if he was not a tosu voach in other words.

How can they possibly enforce that at customs? Surely they can't run a background check on everyone entering the country.

In my case it probably was because I had a work VISA there, but sometimes it is a crap shoot. I used to fly though Toronto to get to Calgary just so they didn't mess with me. When I went through Vancouver, Calgary or Edmonton I always got flagged.

He plead it down, but he refused a breath test. So in other words he was driving drunk just didnt get the charge for it because of the home cooking plea that the judge gave him. Not taking a breath test in ohio is 3 days in jail plus 1yr license suspension.

He pled it down, but mainly because of the home cooking, but he was driving drunk.

I would count that as a dui if I was his employer based on the fact that he refused the breathalyzer.

If it was not serious, he wouldnt have gotten a 3day jail suspended sentance as part of his plea agreement. Minor traffic violations do not carry 3 day jail sentances attached to them.

U keep saying it was a minor traffic violation which it is not, no matter what his plea was is the point. He would have never gotten it plead down to that if he was not a tosu voach in other words.

So...just to be clear. No DUI...No jail time? Or he did do jail time?

Look...I get it...OJ lopped off two heads but his record doesn't say murder. Just like this guys record doesn't say DUI

You keep wanting it to be a DUI but it wasn't.

Have you ever been pulled over because you were going over the speed limit and got a warning? Did you consider that a speeding ticket or a warning? This dude got a break and played the odds and it worked out for him...in this instance.

Last edited:
Reactions: dinglefritz
In my case it probably was because I had a work VISA there, but sometimes it is a crap shoot. I used to fly though Toronto to get to Calgary just so they didn't mess with me. When I went through Vancouver, Calgary or Edmonton I always got flagged.
Word. I'm trying to plan a fishing trip but my cousin got a dui a few years ago and he's paranoid. I'm sure he won't be able to rent a car or whatever but I'm skeptical that he couldn't get through customs.

For sure! I think he has been safe for about 10 days now and in an odd way the more crap they dig up on Smith the more I feel confident that Meyer will be back with no punishment at all.

I don't know. The way McMurphy has just been leaking pieces of info at a time, OSU would have to be a little worried that the second they reinstate Urban that McMurphy drops the real bombshell he could be sitting on (I'm not saying there is another bombshell). Look at the timeline, the abuse was put out right before the B1G media days. A day or two after Urban denied knowing anything about the abuse at B1G media days, McMurphy released info that Meyer knew. OSU is sitting in a precarious situation.

it would seem to me if you hit a moose while dui, the first place you end up is not jail, but the morgue or a hospital if you're lucky

Reactions: dinglefritz

Ohio state police usually throw the book at people for just going 5 miles over on the turnpike

Reactions: JohnRossEwing
never had any drama getting into canada. countless times. twice this summer alone from us and back from uk...

I don't know. The way McMurphy has just been leaking pieces of info at a time, OSU would have to be a little worried that the second they reinstate Urban that McMurphy drops the real bombshell he could be sitting on (I'm not saying there is another bombshell). Look at the timeline, the abuse was put out right before the B1G media days. A day or two after Urban denied knowing anything about the abuse at B1G media days, McMurphy released info that Meyer knew. OSU is sitting in a precarious situation.
It’s beautiful isn’t it?

A Physical control violation in Ohio can mean up to 180 days jail and a $1000 fine. Yes he could easily have gotten it pled down without being an Ohio State coach. This happens often in Ohio. My son is a sheriff deputy and he hates it when it happens. It is very common though.

A Physical control violation in Ohio can mean up to 180 days jail and a $1000 fine. Yes he could easily have gotten it pled down without being an Ohio State coach. This happens often in Ohio. My son is a sheriff deputy and he hates it when it happens. It is very common though.

So its common to go two rungs down on a plea then in Ohio especially after a refusal on a breathalyzer? Just skip right by wet and recklass and go right to a physical control charge?

Wet and recklass carries points on ur record (up to 4) while phys control does not as it is not considered a moving violation. Aka ur insurance wont go up w points.

If this were the case, then why would ANYONE in the state of Ohio EVER submit to a breathalyzer test when they know they could plea it down to a physical control non moving violation instead of getting a DUI or OVI?

Doesnt seem to make a lot of sense.

So its common to go two rungs down on a plea then in Ohio especially after a refusal on a breathalyzer? Just skip right by wet and recklass and go right to a physical control charge?

Wet and recklass carries points on ur record (up to 4) while phys control does not as it is not considered a moving violation. Aka ur insurance wont go up w points.

If this were the case, then why would ANYONE in the state of Ohio EVER submit to a breathalyzer test when they know they could plea it down to a physical control non moving violation instead of getting a DUI or OVI?

Doesnt seem to make a lot of sense.
The judge in Smith's case I believe is under some scrutiny or has been reprimanded for some of his decisions. I do not remember where I read that. People seem to not want to understand how corrupt our legal system can be at some times. It's not what you blow, it's who you know in many cases. He with the better attorney or the right judge or jury wins in most cases. ONE persuasive juror can mean the difference between life in prison or an acquittal.

Reactions: saluno22
The judge in Smith's case I believe is under some scrutiny or has been reprimanded for some of his decisions. I do not remember where I read that. People seem to not want to understand how corrupt our legal system can be at some times. It's not what you blow, it's who you know in many cases. He with the better attorney or the right judge or jury wins in most cases. ONE persuasive juror can mean the difference between life in prison or an acquittal.

Well I mean the judge in his case was a tosu alum and has some type of relationship w tosu, so it wouldnt surprise me that he got the home cookin deal.

One would think that u are less inclined to get a sweetheart deal when u refuse the breath test. I would think those plea deals are more given out when u actually do take the breath test and are right around or just above the legal limit.

Btw the original reason for him being stopped was that he was speeding, the potential owi was added once the cops smelled alcohol. Yet in his plea he doesnt even get the speeding ticket?
So basically he could have gotten up to 6 points on his record (for wet and recklass which is a plea down from owi which van give u 4 points, plus 2 pts for the speeding ticket and he ends up getting ZERO points after REFUSING a breath test?

Again I have to say, if this is how the system works in Ohio then why would any drunk person EVER submit to a breath test when they can plea it down to not even getting a moving violation? Seems pretty fishy to me or just f'd up at least for Ohio.

Reactions: schuele
ADVERTISEMENT