ADVERTISEMENT

Zach Schlager

gomerxx

Walk On
Nov 18, 2002
This cut-and-paste tweet from Sean Callahan yesterday:

McCook LB @Zschlager21 had huge day at the Chicago NIKE Opening with a SPARQ score of 100.59. That's in the top 99th percentile nationally.

I've been waiting since the Game of the Century for a McCook kid to make an impact in Lincoln. He's a North Dakota State commit. Wish the Red Scourge could steal him.

Reactions: CALYNUFAN
I am surprised that they have not had very many D1 players succeed coming out of McCook with their football tradition (especially post-2000). Some of those guys were stellar atheletes on the gridiron.

Would be nice to get another down to Lincoln to make some sort of impact.

My family has purchased corn seed from Josh Cherry. He ended up going to KSU and being their placekicker. He didn't do great kicking, but he at least made it to D1 and was their kicker. He was a great athlete though.

Tony Purvis went to KSU as well but didn't get to play a whole lot. He was a great athlete too.

Other notable college football players from McCook: Jeff Kinney (NU mid-60's), Brian Mohnsen (NU mid-80's), Justin Coleman (UNK mid-90's), Nate Reicks (UNK around 2000), Stuart Frazier (UNO around 2000), Richard Smock (Chadron early 2000's), Jeff Lysters (Chadron early 2000's), Brendan Leiss (UNK Mid-2000's), Sam Frazier (Colo Mimes mid-2000's), Joe Vetrovsky (UNK late 2000's), Tyrone Sellers (KU/UNK late 2000's), Dillon Goltl (UNK mid-2000's), Matt Berry (UNK late 2000's), Derek Chancellor South Dakota around 2010), and Jake Schlager (CSU around 2010).

Reactions: gomerxx and mcbison
In the 60s there was Bob Best, who played on Devaney's 6-4 teams. It has been too long for sure

I am surprised that they have not had very many D1 players succeed coming out of McCook with their football tradition (especially post-2000). Some of those guys were stellar atheletes on the gridiron.

Would be nice to get another down to Lincoln to make some sort of impact.

My family has purchased corn seed from Josh Cherry. He ended up going to KSU and being their placekicker. He didn't do great kicking, but he at least made it to D1 and was their kicker. He was a great athlete though.

Tony Purvis went to KSU as well but didn't get to play a whole lot. He was a great athlete too.

Other notable college football players from McCook: Jeff Kinney (NU mid-60's), Brian Mohnsen (NU mid-80's), Justin Coleman (UNK mid-90's), Nate Reicks (UNK around 2000), Stuart Frazier (UNO around 2000), Richard Smock (Chadron early 2000's), Jeff Lysters (Chadron early 2000's), Brendan Leiss (UNK Mid-2000's), Sam Frazier (Colo Mimes mid-2000's), Joe Vetrovsky (UNK late 2000's), Tyrone Sellers (KU/UNK late 2000's), Dillon Goltl (UNK mid-2000's), Matt Berry (UNK late 2000's), Derek Chancellor South Dakota around 2010), and Jake Schlager (CSU around 2010).
Jeff Kinney was a great back; but in the 1971 game with Oklahoma ( game of the century ) , he was heroic ( played with every fiber of his being ) . GBR

This cut-and-paste tweet from Sean Callahan yesterday:

McCook LB @Zschlager21 had huge day at the Chicago NIKE Opening with a SPARQ score of 100.59. That's in the top 99th percentile nationally.

I've been waiting since the Game of the Century for a McCook kid to make an impact in Lincoln. He's a North Dakota State commit. Wish the Red Scourge could steal him.

Come on Riley, pull the trigger he is a Nebraska boy and he can play!

Reactions: donahues17
Come on Riley, pull the trigger he is a Nebraska boy and he can play!

It seems to me like Riley thinks they can offer Nebraska kids late as they "dream of playing for Nebraska". That usnt always the case unfirtunately.

It seems to me like Riley thinks they can offer Nebraska kids late as they "dream of playing for Nebraska". That usnt always the case unfirtunately.
Well, we've had a Nebraska kid flip to us very late in recruiting each of the last two years. Plus, we've got two Nebraska kids in this class already, one of whom was offered and committed before his sophomore year. Austin Allen was offered early in last year's class too. So it's not like Riley is playing around with Nebraska kids and always waiting to offer them late. Schlager just got his first FBS offer and has no Power 5 offers, so it's not like it's obvious as of yet that he's somebody that deserves an offer.

He's been a great player -- in Class B in Nebraska. He might deserve an offer. He might not. I'm hoping he does. Think it's odd that a school that's won 85-90 percent of its games over the past 15-20 years can't send one kid to Lincoln. Hope it ends soon.

Reactions: TwinsRRUs
Well, we've had a Nebraska kid flip to us very late in recruiting each of the last two years. Plus, we've got two Nebraska kids in this class already, one of whom was offered and committed before his sophomore year. Austin Allen was offered early in last year's class too. So it's not like Riley is playing around with Nebraska kids and always waiting to offer them late. Schlager just got his first FBS offer and has no Power 5 offers, so it's not like it's obvious as of yet that he's somebody that deserves an offer.

That first FBS offer was from Colorado State, where his brother is a starter at Safety.

Reading the list of visitors for the spring game and others enthusiasm for their early pledges casts some caution on him. He may get caught in a bad year kind of thing where we have fewer to give and more interest. We will see. The Nebraska kids are always a feel good story.

Unfortunately Zach was injured.

“(Senior) Zach Schlager has suffered a broken pubic bone,” Bison coach Jeff Gross announced as this latest injury was discovered Thursday afternoon.

Now the Colorado State University verbal commit will be out likely four to six weeks.

This made me laugh. Seriously. Funny stuff. Had to be a joke, right? Considering the offers already given to in state kids, as noted by truehuskerfan above...

This has to be sarcasm, right?

Reactions: rphusker

And the sole '18 verbal from Scottsbluff

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT