ADVERTISEMENT

Zach Duval - Strength coach of the year

All these awards,,,, (yawn) where will we put all the trophies?

He has his work cut out for him here.
Well it all depends on the kids buying in. It didn't take him long @ UCF but those kids bought in. I think we all know that we will see some departures this spring.

“Zach deserves this award,” Frost told FootballScoop. “The transformation of our team in two years that he has engineered is unbelievable. We have also been the healthiest team in the country this year because of how he has trained our players. I can’t imagine that anyone has done a better job.”

Reactions: huskerfan66
biggest game changer for UCF was the nutritional changes he and Frost made for the kids. They were eating a lot of junk apparently.

He's an excellent coach. 18-22yo is the time to transform your body and he can work miracles in 18 months.

War Daddy!

All I saw from previous regimes were safety squat bar champs and other non-core lifts being "counted" as real strength training. You need to train stabilizing muscles and that means barbells/free weights, not safety bars and other gimmicky techniques.

What I hope for is some real "back to basics" olympic style lifting and plyos, coupled with salty conditioning and "real" work toward failure, in all aspects of S&C. My gut is past regimes didn't mandate that type of workload.

All I saw from previous regimes were safety squat bar champs and other non-core lifts being "counted" as real strength training. You need to train stabilizing muscles and that means barbells/free weights, not safety bars and other gimmicky techniques.

What I hope for is some real "back to basics" olympic style lifting and plyos, coupled with salty conditioning and "real" work toward failure, in all aspects of S&C. My gut is past regimes didn't mandate that type of workload.

Crap! I can only hit "like" once. Great post!

Yoga can help with flexibility but other things can too. I wouldn’t be against it in addition.

On your own time. Again, when a culture is created that emphasizes Yoga as an actual S&C event, well, kids will gravitate toward laying around and working on their Chi.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
On your own time. Again, when a culture is created that emphasizes Yoga as an actual S&C event, well, kids will gravitate toward laying around and working on their Chi.
Doesn’t Stanford use a lot of yoga? And they are physical as they come.

I don’t necessarily like yoga itself but they should definitely be doing some stretching/flexibility work as part of S&C

More of a culture issue, not saying you shouldn't stretch and do yoga, but the work has to be done first.

And quite honestly, if it came down to another few sets/reps or conditioning with the current state of Nebraska development vs yoga, I'd kill the yoga and have them stay later in the session to finish up. That's my point. Work.

More of a culture issue, not saying you shouldn't stretch and do yoga, but the work has to be done first.

And quite honestly, if it came down to another few sets/reps or conditioning with the current state of Nebraska development vs yoga, I'd kill the yoga and have them stay later in the session to finish up. That's my point. Work.

Don't know about yoga but you stretch first...

Reactions: huskerfan1414

I don't see a lot of BS yoga and other nonsense.
Have you ever done yoga? I'm not talking about assuming the lotus position and contemplating life. I'm talking being in the push-up position for a minute until you think your arms are going to fall off. I am reasonably physically fit and my wife hauled me into a couple of her classes. By the time the class was over I was shaking like a leaf, sweating like a pig and ready to puke. Not saying that kind of workout is appropriate for football S&C, but a yoga workout is definitely not foo foo.

Have you ever done yoga? I'm not talking about assuming the lotus position and contemplating life. I'm talking being in the push-up position for a minute until you think your arms are going to fall off. I am reasonably physically fit and my wife hauled me into a couple of her classes. By the time the class was over I was shaking like a leaf, sweating like a pig and ready to puke. Not saying that kind of workout is appropriate for football S&C, but a yoga workout is definitely not foo foo.

Shouldn’t holding a push up position for a long time tax your core more than your arms? But I get what you’re saying

This wasn't meant to be derogatory thread toward yoga, but I don't think many National Champions in CFB were built on a strict yoga regimen. GBR

Reactions: WHCSC
At the risk of things not being exactly the same, you can probably look at explosive edge for a taste of what they do. Not sure if there is one in lincoln, but there is one in omaha. Not sure what zach does different for college football, but it might give an idea.

Lift weights
Lift weights
Lift weights

Reactions: WHCSC
Lift weights
Lift weights
Lift weights
Yes, free weights, not that guided nonsense. Jump-push press, deadlifts. When weights are done properly you do a concentric lift and then an eccentric lift.

You alter weights, heavy-medium-light, then medium-light-heavy then light-heavy-medium. When you do that you break through plateaus.

Start acceleration drills, jump change drills, and modified plyometrics for the jump rebound reflex condition. The really big guys not so much.

For the lineman, the seated shot is a great way to develop explosiveness, and the standing long jump is great to develop start acceleration.

I think with the S & C guy coming in, the pros are cutting-edge training methodology. I imagine the training methods will be totally different than what the returning kids are used to.

They will break down muscle and retrain it.

I know you need the raw material to work with is critical, but NU has enough good athletes to make some of them perhaps great athletes. Yes, we do have some great athletes, so that helps.

They will likely work to exhaustion, but it won't be from doing half-squats.

I would like to see them do what is called a hang after a hard upper body day. You just jump onto a bar and hang for a minute. It allows gravity to move the pooled blood in the muscles into the overall body and prevents soreness and tiredness which allows the next heavy day of upper lifting to start off with a freshly repaired set of muscles.

OT. It's the one thing any baseball pitcher should do prior to icing the arm. Sore arms were never an issue in the 25 years I coached. Doing the hang doesn't allow the blood to pool in the shoulder area and basically scab over and make for sore arms. There's also a method called a shake-out.

A great S & C or speed acceleration coach is worth as much money as you want to pay them. It's important to not use a cookie-cutter approach for all athletes. Skill people have to be trained differently from the big guys. I'm hopeful NU now has a real pro in charge of developing these athletes.

FWIW

Reactions: tjlSker90
Another example of buying whatever is being sold at the time. Many of these posts do not age well do they?

Reactions: OzzyLvr
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT