ADVERTISEMENT

Zach Duval S&C

Husker.Wed.

Athletic Director
Feb 13, 2004
Omaha Metro
If Frost comes does he bring his strength people? His head trainer is a Nebraska guy and also a legacy as his dad was a S&C coach under Epply. It is always hard to tell about these guys because I never read an article yet where they weren't working harder and smarter to make the players stronger/faster than before. It says he works around not having a training table at UCF and he is a techie-guy so you gotta figure he would love the performance lab.

Here is Zach Duval's UCF bio

http://www.ucfknights.com/coaches.aspx?rc=939&path=football

And a story from the Orlando paper

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...all-strength-program-0807-20160806-story.html

Reactions: Husker-NJ
If Frost comes does he bring his strength people? His head trainer is a Nebraska guy and also a legacy as his dad was a S&C coach under Epply. It is always hard to tell about these guys because I never read an article yet where they weren't working harder and smarter to make the players stronger/faster than before. It says he works around not having a training table at UCF and he is a techie-guy so you gotta figure he would love the performance lab.

Here is Zach Duval's UCF bio

http://www.ucfknights.com/coaches.aspx?rc=939&path=football

And a story from the Orlando paper

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...all-strength-program-0807-20160806-story.html

I don't know who gets that gig, but just hope it becomes a bigger part of our culture again, and the coaches insist on making the players committed to their workouts and ACCOUNTABLE, so the person can do his job properly.

I don't know who gets that gig, but just hope it becomes a bigger part of our culture again, and the coaches insist on making the players committed to their workouts and ACCOUNTABLE, so the person can do his job properly.

This takes depth more than it takes desire from a coach. A coach can't hold kids accountable if the kids behind them isn't hungry and isn't a stud. We have recruited TOO MANY projects, or diamonds in the rough. When NU was great it was as fun to watch our soph and frosh play in blowouts, than it was to watch the #1 unit. Even if we blew a team out this year, Im not sure there is anyone that could even play that is 3 or 4 deep. This was the fail of the Bo era as well, nobody could take a starters spot if they stopped working.

Reactions: Huskerfan2112
It's hard to imagine there not being accountability. For goodness sakes my sons 14u baseball coach tests the boys every month on multiple things, and is scoring it going into the season. If D1 athletes are somehow allowed to just blow off workouts, I would like to see proof instead of unfounded rumors.

Maybe they could get Carriker in there for motivation as well.

I watched him talk on Husker Max about some of the Husker Power traditions that were gutted when Cally took over. Maybe reinstalling some of those would be a good thing.

Reactions: husker2612
It's hard to imagine there not being accountability. For goodness sakes my sons 14u baseball coach tests the boys every month on multiple things, and is scoring it going into the season. If D1 athletes are somehow allowed to just blow off workouts, I would like to see proof instead of unfounded rumors.

I live far away, but have followed since the 60's. All I need for proof is the eyeball test. Look at husker lineman from the glory years. Hell, look at linemen from the top teams now.

I may be old and dumb, but when we fielded champion teams, we looked stronger than our opponent. Not been the case for years.

I do not know if it is the training table, workouts, or girlfriends, these guys are big, allegedly talented, and do not look like D1 players. Do not play like it either.

Must be girlfriends as Leach said do humorously.

I live far away, but have followed since the 60's. All I need for proof is the eyeball test. Look at husker lineman from the glory years. Hell, look at linemen from the top teams now.

I may be old and dumb, but when we fielded champion teams, we looked stronger than our opponent. Not been the case for years.

I do not know if it is the training table, workouts, or girlfriends, these guys are big, allegedly talented, and do not look like D1 players. Do not play like it either.

Must be girlfriends as Leach said do humorously.
I agree with how they look. But this has been going on for 11 years on the lines. How a division 1 football player thinks that ok is beyond me....

Reactions: HuskerDana
If you and I agree it has been going on for years, why do you need proof our S&C is not right?

We invented it, we suck at it now.

That to me is proof it is not working on many levels.

Cheers

Reactions: lang1000
If you and I agree it has been going on for years, why do you need proof our S&C is not right?

Cheers
I guess I just find it hard to believe they are just simply not doing it. How the hell does that just "happen"? For goodness sake they would not be allowed on high school teams in this state

I guess I just find it hard to believe they are just simply not doing it. How the hell does that just "happen"? For goodness sake they would not be allowed on high school teams in this state

How the hell this happens has been a recurrent theme since Callahan. I remember being at the game years ago against Nevada. That was the first time I noticed we had no "push" on either line. It made me sad. It was the last game I was at, as it is quite a trip from here, and now all immediate family is gone frm Lincoln.

Solich was our coach, and also my driver's Ed teacher. He was tough, lol.

Boyd made a big presentation to Moos last week. Jist of it, this is how we're doing it, this is how it should be done. Will be interesting.
Where has Boyd been the past few years? Did Mark Philip and him butt heads? Just trying to figure out what the hell happened here.

I watched him talk on Husker Max about some of the Husker Power traditions that were gutted when Cally took over. Maybe reinstalling some of those would be a good thing.
I would love to see Carriker in here is some way or another. Dude has passion, knowledge, and knows what it takes to succeed.

Reactions: Sinomatic
How does one know who is a good one? Who are the top guys out there?

I’ll say this. I don’t care where Zach is coming from and I know that Nebraska can do better than him. That’s all I’m gonna say.

I will say this. I believe it ultimately falls on the player. My daughter was in the same grade as Ben Stille and once he signed his LOI they sent him exactly what they wanted him to lift, eat, everything down to the detail from my understanding. Ben followed it and gained more muscle between February and when he reported that summer. He was big during his graduation I cant imagine him now. Point is the player has to want it and take some responsibility in it. That is called "character". I am not saying these players don't have that, I am saying we need more of that.

I’ll say this. I don’t care where Zach is coming from and I know that Nebraska can do better than him. That’s all I’m gonna say.
What's your deal? Do you know Zach? Did you read the article?

He was a strength GA when Scott was playing in Lincoln, is a Boyd Epley understudy and has family locally. I'd be very surprised if he didn't make the move with Scott.
Again, do you have a history, did Zach throw one in your ex-girlfriend?

No association that I know of with any of my whore exes, though that is probably assuming too much if you knew some of those girls.

Trust me you guys don't want Duval. All of our players while he was at WYO seemed to get light and slow, and our new S&C had to tear down and start over.

They should be able to do much better than Zach Duval.

No association that I know of with any of my whore exes, though that is probably assuming too much if you knew some of those girls.

Would love to hear where you have formed your opinion.

I will say this. I believe it ultimately falls on the player. My daughter was in the same grade as Ben Stille and once he signed his LOI they sent him exactly what they wanted him to lift, eat, everything down to the detail from my understanding. Ben followed it and gained more muscle between February and when he reported that summer. He was big during his graduation I cant imagine him now. Point is the player has to want it and take some responsibility in it. That is called "character". I am not saying these players don't have that, I am saying we need more of that.

Everyone that reads this thread should be hitting the like button on this post. Everyone always wants to continue to blame our coaching staff for ALL of our failures as a program.

One of our biggest problems has been leadership within the team. My old hs is even a good example of this. National hall of fame coach still coaching. Double digit state titles, along with double digit runner-ups.

For four or fives years, the program looked alot like NU over the last few. Then kids started to care again and put the work in. Guess what, back in contention again.

My point is, coaches can only do so much. The want to and the leadership is probably more important within the team, than from the top. Winning is contagious. Unfortunately, when losing becomes 'acceptable' within a team, that can be passed down from class to class...and can be a hard cycle to break.

Everyone that reads this thread should be hitting the like button on this post. Everyone always wants to continue to blame our coaching staff for ALL of our failures as a program.

One of our biggest problems has been leadership within the team. My old hs is even a good example of this. National hall of fame coach still coaching. Double digit state titles, along with double digit runner-ups.

For four or fives years, the program looked alot like NU over the last few. Then kids started to care again and put the work in. Guess what, back in contention again.

My point is, coaches can only do so much. The want to and the leadership is probably more important within the team, than from the top. Winning is contagious. Unfortunately, when losing becomes 'acceptable' within a team, that can be passed down from class to class...and can be a hard cycle to break.
There’s a reason why Nebraska football surged upward after the 1991 season, a lot of players got tired of getting their ass kicked up in between their ears by the likes of Miami, FSU, Washington. We know what happened when many of those players became leaders, demanding more from themselves and everyone else, setting in motion the greatest run in Nebraska football history.

If that mentality comes around again like it did back then, better days lay ahead for them.

Reactions: HuskerDana
There’s a reason why Nebraska football surged upward after the 1991 season, a lot of players got tired of getting their ass kicked up in between their ears by the likes of Miami, FSU, Washington. We know what happened when many of those players became leaders, demanding more from themselves and everyone else, setting in motion the greatest run in Nebraska football history.

If that mentality comes around again like it did back then, better days lay ahead for them.
We also changed to the 4-3 Defense, put more speed back there and energized the team. Coaches.

We also changed to the 4-3 Defense, put more speed back there and energized the team. Coaches.
Coaches, true, they were much, much better then, of course. But it still took a reckoning of sorts by the players to dedicate themselves to work harder in every facet. I remember talking to Marc Munford back in 1994 after the spring game, he said the intensity of the players during workouts and practices the previous season on up to then was phenomenal, he really thought something big was happening, and he was right.

It will take the combination of all that again, but it can happen, no matter what the naysayers spit out of their pie holes.

I think this is said literally every time there is a change in s&c

You're probably right. I think Duval comes with him with the Nebraska connections, the point is I thought you guys could do better. I definitely think however the way that he likes to train kids is more suited for what Frost wants to do than Bohl.

Let’s be honest here. Philip was more than likely doing the job. Guys like Stille or D Thomas who put in the work got the results. Shoot even in year one we were fighting in games till the very end.

Reactions: tpmcg and WHCSC

Great post Dana. Just to add on to your thoughts, I was clamoring for this during our season (that is thankfully over now). I saw next to no accountability on the field, no real leaders willing to step up. Part of that is coaching, but part of that is also on the players like you stated.

People across the country say we don't have top-tier talent talent, and they are usually right. Additionally, Husker fans on this board also probably think I'm stupid or something for saying what I'm about to, but it is the truth:

Miami is better because Richt realized what made Miami great—A gangster/swagger attitude. So, he created the Turnover Chain... no brainer!

For the past 16 years, Nebraska had abandoned what made them great. Aside from the '09 defense, we tried all kinds of nonsense out there on the field. Nebraska needs to get back to its roots with our next head coach. Scott Frost's blog from a few years back told me all I needed to know about what happened to Nebraska football. I'm angry I didn't realize it sooner. It's a freaking TREMENDOUS sight to hear that Ben Stille is committed to the future of Nebraska football. I could see him being the leader of the DL.

You mean like a scoring system that is rational/accountable and measures athletic development/progress?

Yea, that makes sense. Just a little.

GBR

Reactions: Sinomatic
Great post Dana. Just to add on to your thoughts, I was clamoring for this during our season (that is thankfully over now). I saw next to no accountability on the field, no real leaders willing to step up. Part of that is coaching, but part of that is also on the players like you stated.

People across the country say we don't have top-tier talent talent, and they are usually right. Additionally, Husker fans on this board also probably think I'm stupid or something for saying what I'm about to, but it is the truth:

Miami is better because Richt realized what made Miami great—A gangster/swagger attitude. So, he created the Turnover Chain... no brainer!

For the past 16 years, Nebraska had abandoned what made them great. Aside from the '09 defense, we tried all kinds of nonsense out there on the field. Nebraska needs to get back to its roots with our next head coach. Scott Frost's blog from a few years back told me all I needed to know about what happened to Nebraska football. I'm angry I didn't realize it sooner. It's a freaking TREMENDOUS sight to hear that Ben Stille is committed to the future of Nebraska football. I could see him being the leader of the DL.

Nice sentiments, but the blueprint here is going to take a lot more time to implement than most people think.

A lot of these guys, wouldn't have sniffed a recruiting offer, regardless of their "stars."

The 4* cookie cutter approach to recruiting is gonzo, if Frost is back. I think he has the "eye" that TO had for development/potential at every position. To me, that is what he proved at UCF.

But to say the guys currently here are gonna fit that mold? Gimme a break.

The Nebraska Way or Husker Football = Brutal Accountability.

Put up or GTFO.

Wake up call guys. Frost will make it enjoyable, but get ready to get back to work kids.

Cheers

When a rational scoring system that measures S&C performance is taken away, S&C means nothing anymore.

You have to monitor progress, and make it public, so everyone knows how each athlete is developing, up to their potential.

The off-season is when National Titles are won.

Reactions: ThereIsNoPlace
I'm maybe just a little punch drunk on Scott Frost right now but wouldn't it be something if him and the other coaches showed up at 0630 every morning this week in the weight room and put in a solid workout.

Maybe nobody notices but just maybe a player or two catches it. It would certainly put the team on notice.

What an example/precedent it would set.

Reactions: TwinsRRUs

Homerun post of this thread. Stille and Gebbia are two of the best things going on this roster as far as true leadership goes. True leadership NU hasn't has for quite a while.

ADVERTISEMENT