ADVERTISEMENT

Zach Duval on 1620

Some nice takes. Zach doesn’t really shy away from anything either. Tells it like it is.

Epley recommended Duval three years ago but Riley insisted on Philip.

Now how in the world do know this to be true? It's not Philip or Epley's fault, it's Riley's. If the culture doesn't embrace , demand, and expect it, most kids just won't show up and do it. Philip's can't physically force kids to get off their arses and workout the warrior way.

Although the emphasis on squats is better for football.

Now how in the world do know this to be true? It's not Philip or Epley's fault, it's Riley's. If the culture doesn't embrace , demand, and expect it, most kids just won't show up and do it. Philip's can't physically force kids to get off their arses and workout the warrior way.

Although the emphasis on squats is better for football.
I have no idea how scholarships work and if they can be taken away. With this last staff there seems to be no accountability or consequences. So no they could not physically force them to work out. They could have make their lives miserable in practices or the workouts that they did show up to. If that still didn't motivate them. Then pull the scholarships. It obviously wasn't 100% on Philip, but he had a very big hand in the lack of conditioning and strength.

Epley recommended Duval three years ago but Riley insisted on Philip.
Even if true, it wouldn't have changed anything for Riley's tenure. More than just S&C (was it even entirely Philip's fault? IDK?) that went awry.

Philip had success at his prior stops - so I tend to believe the culture and Club Riley approach got in the way of him being able to apply his expertise effectively. That said - Duval gets the mental side comes first - he works for Frost because Frost gets that - this is a staff that is aligned on how to build a winning football team. I also think as guys leave for better jobs (and they will) they know how to go get coaches that will fit Frost's approach (they have a very good feel of what to look for). The future is so bright I have to replace my broken shades (just happened this morning on the way to work).

Listening to Duval - I understand why the entire staff came with Frost to Lincoln. Very unique situation for a guy that "gets it" as a college football coach.

Philip had success at his prior stops - so I tend to believe the culture and Club Riley approach got in the way of him being able to apply his expertise effectively. That said - Duval gets the mental side comes first - he works for Frost because Frost gets that - this is a staff that is aligned on how to build a winning football team. I also think as guys leave for better jobs (and they will) they know how to go get coaches that will fit Frost's approach (they have a very good feel of what to look for). The future is so bright I have to replace my broken shades (just happened this morning on the way to work).

Listening to Duval - I understand why the entire staff came with Frost to Lincoln. Very unique situation for a guy that "gets it" as a college football coach.

Well said sir. The future is indeed bright!

I have no idea how scholarships work and if they can be taken away. With this last staff there seems to be no accountability or consequences. So no they could not physically force them to work out. They could have make their lives miserable in practices or the workouts that they did show up to. If that still didn't motivate them. Then pull the scholarships. It obviously wasn't 100% on Philip, but he had a very big hand in the lack of conditioning and strength.
You are really going to hurt the feelings of folks who think once you get a scholarship - it’s yours for the duration - no matter what.

Reactions: husker2612
"I'm trying to figure out how to say this to not....offend?"

"We're behind"

All you need to know :p

You are really going to hurt the feelings of folks who think once you get a scholarship - it’s yours for the duration - no matter what.
Lol Yeah. Here is my view on scholarships. These kids are offered scholarships based on what coaches have seen them do on the field in the past. In hopes that same performance will continue in the future. Now if these kids get here and aren't working as hard as they should be or or not performing as expected. their is no reason a scholarship shouldn't be pulled.
No different than a job. If I get an interview based on resume (past performance) and get offered the job, at take it. I am expected to be able to do the job up to the standards expected by the employer. If I can't, guess what? I am fired.

Reactions: B1G RED RULES
Lol Yeah. Here is my view on scholarships. These kids are offered scholarships based on what coaches have seen them do on the field in the past. In hopes that same performance will continue in the future. Now if these kids get here and aren't working as hard as they should be or or not performing as expected. their is no reason a scholarship shouldn't be pulled.
No different than a job. If I get an interview based on resume (past performance) and get offered the job, at take it. I am expected to be able to do the job up to the standards expected by the employer. If I can't, guess what? I am fired.
I guess it's possible for akid to just want the free ride and get an education. But most I would think have a goal of starting some day. First, make the roster, then traveling team, then playing time.

ADVERTISEMENT