ADVERTISEMENT

Zac Taylor interviews with Broncos today

HuskerAlum92

First Team All-Big Ten
Jan 8, 2007
Zac is the 2nd of 5 coaches that will interview for the Broncos HC position. Chuck Pagano was interviewed yesterday. After listening to local sports talk radio, they will *NOT* like it if Zac is hired.

He’s only a candidate because he was buddies with Gary Kubiak’s son, his best attribute is that he can be Kubiak’s puppet, he just riding the Rams success and is in no way responsible for it, he’s not a guru or a rising star, etc.

Wish Zac Taylor all the best, but he's probably better off if the Broncos pass on him. While Vance Joseph was truly awful, he was also in a very tough position. In Denver, absolutely nothing that goes wrong is ever, ever, ever John Elway's fault, nor the fault of his front office inner circle. So if you're a first-time head coach inheriting a roster with a lot of holes, it's a difficult gig. Could easily see a better situation coming along for Taylor in 2020 or shortly thereafter.

Wish Zac Taylor all the best, but he's probably better off if the Broncos pass on him. While Vance Joseph was truly awful, he was also in a very tough position. In Denver, absolutely nothing that goes wrong is ever, ever, ever John Elway's fault, nor the fault of his front office inner circle. So if you're a first-time head coach inheriting a roster with a lot of holes, it's a difficult gig. Could easily see a better situation coming along for Taylor in 2020 or shortly thereafter.

Yeah, I get that but at the same time what you are saying is "He is better off not cashing a 20 million dollar lotto ticket" because that is what it is...

Reactions: dinglefritz
Relatively unproven offensive minds are the new hotness in the NFL. With the kind of offense the Chiefs, Eagles and Bears have been running and Nagy's success in year one, we may see a rise in demand for coaches who can draw up 93 different kinds of screen passes.

If those kinds of offenses work at the NFL level (and I think they will as rules hamstring defenses more and more) and NU continues to light up the scoreboard, don't be surprised if the league comes sniffing after one S. Frost.

Yeah, I get that but at the same time what you are saying is "He is better off not cashing a 20 million dollar lotto ticket" because that is what it is...
Oh if Taylor's offered the Broncos' job he should absolutely take it - can't turn down something like that. But assuming he's passed over, I can see it working out better in the long run.

Zac is a great example for all you young guys on how to marry well.

Step one, he marries the daughter of Mike Sherman, the former head coach of GB Packers. Sherman takes the head job at ATM, and gives his 25 year old son-in-law with no coaching experience a gig at a P5 powerhouse. Sherman has a lot of ties to the NFL, and by age 29 Zac is a NFL coach, and is an OC for ages 32-33.

While at ATM, he coaches and makes friends with Clint Kubiak, the son of ATM and Bronco legend Gary Kubiak. Fast forward 10 years, and the Broncos would really like to have Gary Kubiak back as the HC. But the demands and stresses are too much for Kubiak’s health. He’s been a consultant, but they want to expand his role as much as possible. What they really want is someone that will come in, play the role of the HC, but let Elway/Kubiak do all the important stuff. There’s this Zac kid that coached with my son at ATM, so I know he’s a good ol boy. His resume is enough, he’s 35, and we can “mentor” him.

How different would Zac Taylor’s life be today if he didn’t get a prime P5 coaching gig with no prior experience? No way he gets that opportunity if he doesn’t marry well

The other moral to the story:
Football coaching is the most blatant profession for good old boy hiring.

Last edited:

Step one, he marries the daughter of Mitch Sherman, the former head coach of GB Packers. Sherman takes the head job at ATM, and gives his 25 year old son-in-law with no coaching experience a gig at a P5 powerhouse. Sherman has a lot of ties to the NFL, and by age 29 Zac is a NFL coach, and is an OC for ages 32-33.

While at ATM, he coaches and makes friends with Clint Kubiak, the son of ATM and Bronco legend Gary Kubiak. Fast forward 10 years, and the Broncos would really like to have Gary Kubiak back as the HC. But the demands and stresses are too much for Kubiak’s health. He’s been a consultant, but they want to expand his role as much as possible. What they really want is someone that will come in, play the role of the HC, but let Elway/Kubiak do all the important stuff. There’s this Zac kid that coached with my son at ATM, so I know he’s a good ol boy. His resume is enough, he’s 35, and we can “mentor” him.

How different would Zac Taylor’s life be today if he didn’t get a prime P5 coaching gig with no prior experience? No way he gets that opportunity if he doesn’t marry well

Everything in this post is so spot on.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Agree. Elway built a good defense for the 2015 SB win and lured Manning to the Broncos, but beyond that, his recent draft history and free agent signings have been dismal. The next few years look to be sub-500 years with a weak offense and aging defense. This QB class is weak so the replacement for the waste of money that is Case Keenum is still years away.

Except that Mitch Sherman is an ESPN reporter that used to be a reporter for the huskers. I’m not sure marrying mitch’s Daughter helps him climb that ladder very much.

Mike Sherman, on the other hand, makes things happen. :)
giphy.gif

Zac is the 2nd of 5 coaches that will interview for the Broncos HC position. Chuck Pagano was interviewed yesterday. After listening to local sports talk radio, they will *NOT* like it if Zac is hired.

He’s only a candidate because he was buddies with Gary Kubiak’s son, his best attribute is that he can be Kubiak’s puppet, he just riding the Rams success and is in no way responsible for it, he’s not a guru or a rising star, etc.

Was this coming from big al or from the callers?

Half of it was from Al and DMac. Other half was from Schlereth and Evans. Only the two most popular sports talk shows.

Elway admitted that expanding Kubiaks role to maybe include coaching, but not HC, was a wish/goal of the process. The Kubiak/Taylor connection is a fact and hardly a coincidence. Schelereth is interesting because he has watched multiple Rams practices as part of his broadcaster gig, and he says Taylor was not a visible leader or director of practice to the point he never noticed him.

Agree. Elway built a good defense for the 2015 SB win and lured Manning to the Broncos, but beyond that, his recent draft history and free agent signings have been dismal. The next few years look to be sub-500 years with a weak offense and aging defense. This QB class is weak so the replacement for the waste of money that is Case Keenum is still years away.
They are gonna try and land Flacco. Kubiak was his OC and Elway loves big QBs that are good on play action and can stretch the field. Elway has been trying to draft the next Flacco and whiffed on Osweiler and Lynch.

Step one, he marries the daughter of Mike Sherman, the former head coach of GB Packers. Sherman takes the head job at ATM, and gives his 25 year old son-in-law with no coaching experience a gig at a P5 powerhouse. Sherman has a lot of ties to the NFL, and by age 29 Zac is a NFL coach, and is an OC for ages 32-33.

Sure his relationship to Mike Sherman got him to the Dolphins as assistant QB coach. It got his foot in the door so to speak. But Zac's real break is being closely associated with Sean McVay, the youngest coach ever hired in the NFL and a guy who's been very successful with the Rams. Before McVay came to the Rams though, he was offensive coordinator with the Redskins where he worked very closely with Bill Callahan. Bill is a guy who would probably have given Zac a very strong recommendation to a young, first time head coach in McVay who did not have a set collection of "his guys" to bring to L.A. with him. If Zac isn't working with the Boy Wonder in LA, then he isn't getting any head coaching interviews regardless of who's daughter he married.

Reactions: schuele
Just having some fun. You nailed it with your post. Pretty awesome when you know people and have connections.

It helps you get a job, but more importantly you still have to perform. If you don't produce results you are not going to last. I think some of these young guys should be more selective when taking these head coaching jobs. The money is so great and there are so few openings that it is pretty hard to turn them down. Adam Gase is probably just as good a coach as Sean McVay. Adam goes to the Dolphins and Sean to the Rams. Adam was handicapped in Miami being saddled with Tannehill and a bad roster. Sean gets Goff to play well and a much better roster.

It helps you get a job, but more importantly you still have to perform. If you don't produce results you are not going to last. I think some of these young guys should be more selective when taking these head coaching jobs. The money is so great and there are so few openings that it is pretty hard to turn them down. Adam Gase is probably just as good a coach as Sean McVay. Adam goes to the Dolphins and Sean to the Rams. Adam was handicapped in Miami being saddled with Tannehill and a bad roster. Sean gets Goff to play well and a much better roster.
Miami is a horribly run franchise. One thing people forget about when they cnsider the Patriot dynasty is how historically awful that division is, they are with NYJ and Buffalo along with Miami. 3 of the worst run franchises in all of sports. Pretty much guarantees them at least 6 wins a year

Reactions: Wasker77

For many years I've said that timing is 90% of life. I am quite sure that he didn't intentionally set out to marry an NFL/college head coach's daughter. He's had great timing, put in the hard work and built great relationships with the people he worked with. Hope he continues to have success. One of my favorite Huskers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT