ADVERTISEMENT

Z. Betts

If his grades are ACTUALLY that bad, how is he allowed to get on the field RIGHT NOW?

Don't you have to have a MINIMUM GPA to play?

I have no idea what the requirements of his school are. Most states, and I think NE did this at one time, requires minimum of passing 5 subjects. That is the way it is in Kansas, or was. My complaint as an administrator was most schools required around 24 credits to graduate. So 5 credits x 4 years won't even get you enough credits to graduate. Local school boards can set their own eligibility rules either week to week or by semester.

As a qualifier, I don't know exactly what NE does and his school. John Ross can probably help.

Last edited:
It isn't that hard to make up courses anymore, with all the online options HS's have. But if he fails to qualify out of HS he will have to get his associates at a JUCO before he can go to a D1 school, so most likely two years, if that happens.

right, and I’ll be the first to admit I have no clue how the JUCO route goes. We have had some that come in as sophomores (D Williams and such) and others come in as juniors (G Bell and J Woodward). But I completely agree, as long as Betts is applying himself, with the support systems they have out there to help their students, there shouldn’t be anyway he doesn’t make it. My guess is if he doesn’t, it’s because he didn’t get the score he needed on his ACT. It won’t be because of the classes he needed to make up.

Reactions: headcard
If his grades are ACTUALLY that bad, how is he allowed to get on the field RIGHT NOW?

Don't you have to have a MINIMUM GPA to play?

that’s just it and yes you do. You make a great point, if he was doing that bad NOW, he wouldn’t be on the field playing. The stuff peeps heard was from his sophomore and junior years. He wasn’t applying himself and was being lazy. So some assumed he wouldn’t qualify because he wasn’t trying. Since then he’s been all about making to Nebraska and playing for Frost. He’s been working hard, doing the little things and doing everything he can to catch up. He can do it if he applies himself.

Reactions: TOMHP
right, and I’ll be the first to admit I have no clue how the JUCO route goes. We have had some that come in as sophomores (D Williams and such) and others come in as juniors (G Bell and J Woodward). But I completely agree, as long as Betts is applying himself, with the support systems they have out there to help their students, there shouldn’t be anyway he doesn’t make it. My guess is if he doesn’t, it’s because he didn’t get the score he needed on his ACT. It won’t be because of the classes he needed to make up.

It depends on why a kid went to a Community College. If it was because of grades they have to get a degree which normally takes 2 years. If they just went CC because they didn't get offers or whatever, and they have qualifying test scores and grades, they can transfer anytime. People too often assume kids go to a CC because if test scores or grades, not always true.

I don't know how anyone can comment on this issue without knowing ALL the facts. I would not know how to gauge his effort to get caught up not do I know what hole has dug for himself. From my experience in this area, once a kid gets behind in multiple classes, it is really hard to get caught up. It simply takes a Herculean effort to take regular classes and additional at the same time. Usually there is a reason they got in the fix and it doesn't magically get better.

Don't confuse passing grades (likely 60%) with earning credits in core classes for the NCAA Clearinghouse. Remember there is a sliding scale, the higher your GPA in core classes you have, the ACT doesn't need to be as high and it goes the other way as well. earlier, in many schools a kid could conceivably pass enough classes to be eligible but still not graduate.

From what I have heard Bett's is not doing well AT ALL academically and when asking the source close to subject, he laughed at the article. Just makes you wonder how accurate Mike Schaefer's articles really are when knowing the truth behind the scenes.
Schaffer is quoting Betts and his coach directly. He isn’t pretending to have any other information, just sharing what they are telling him. I hope they are right and your anonymous source isn’t.

Reactions: Bigred_b1624
ADVERTISEMENT