ADVERTISEMENT

Z. Betts

From what I hear he won’t qualify.

From what I hear...you are due to be...

banned-for-life-620x406.jpg

Winking

Last edited:
Meh. We've heard that before about recruits then BOOM they show up and are good to go. Most recently the Bradley kid and Mo Washington. More than one poster said neither one of them would ever make it to Lincoln.:rolleyes:
I hope you are right with this kid. My Bellevue school sources say otherwise. I really hope they are totally wrong on this. The closest I came to having a "source" in Husker recruiting was many years ago when a San Antonio friend of mine had a son going to high school with Aaron Green. We won that battle verses some really good schools. He came here and then transferred to TCU. I would kill for Aaron Green right now.

From what I hear he won’t qualify.

that was guessed and assumed how he was during his sophomore and junior year in high school. Supposedly he wasn’t trying and was screwing it all off. But since this past off season he’s gotten himself together and has been working hard. Betts himself has said he needed to make up a few classes and hit his ACT and he’d been fine. He’s already made it clear he’s on his way with the few classes he needed to make up and that should be no issue. So only thing we are waiting on is his ACT. Tweets like this shows he’s on track and if I was a betting man, I’d say he will be here come next fall. Believe that.

Last edited:
This is my guess with Zavier Betts, he will make it. It will be close but he will pull off just enough to make it. And if he DOESN’T then he will end up at place in JUCO and he will be able to make his grades with in that first year in JUCO (because he will have just barley missed out in the first place coming out of high school) and then we will see him join the Huskers as sophomore JUCO with 4 to play 3 (because no way he redshirts in JUCO, not with his talent). Either way, he will be a Husker next year or the year after....but he will play at least 3 years for us guaranteed....;) GBR

Last edited:
Meh. We've heard that before about recruits then BOOM they show up and are good to go. Most recently the Bradley kid and Mo Washington. More than one poster said neither one of them would ever make it to Lincoln.:rolleyes:

And the reverse is also true. The fact is they have screwed around and are now on the border line of making it or not. You can point out a couple who did qualify but there are just as many who didn't. I don't count then until they show up on campus. You can point to some bright spots but be honest in pointing out that even those who "make it" don't always stay with it. There are a lot of demands on a college student/athlete some are just not up to.

This is my guess with Zavier Betts, he will make it. It will be close but he will pull off just enough to make it. And if he DOESN’T then he will end up at place in JUCO and he will be able to make his grades with in that first year in JUCO (because he will have just barley missed out in the first place coming out of high school) and then we will see him join the Huskers as sophomore JUCO with 4 to play 3 (because no way he redshirts in JUCO, not with his talent). Either way, he will be a Husker next year or the year after....but he will play at least 3 years for us guaranteed....;) GBR

Help me out where I am wrong on this, I don't keep up with all of this anymore since I am not in admin.

As I understand it, a non-qualifier has a few choices - they can enroll, but not play the first year and may have to pay themselves or apply in a situation where they are very close to qualifying (whatever that is) or they can go to a community college but must graduate. So, in that case your scenario of going one year and ending up at Nebraska is not going to happen. Again, I could be wrong.

Reactions: timnsun

It isn't that hard to make up courses anymore, with all the online options HS's have. But if he fails to qualify out of HS he will have to get his associates at a JUCO before he can go to a D1 school, so most likely two years, if that happens.

Last edited:
there is a massive disconnect between his rivals rating and offer list .. I'm assuming we are closer to the situation than anyone, but other programs aren't touching the kid and it isn't because of talent

Reactions: WHCSC
How the heck do we get away with talking about a minor's grades and ability to qualify for college? This info should not be shared until the kid is at least an adult...if he is 18 then....
Even then, shouldn't be allowed, I think it SHOULD be protected and the source of teacher sh is u kml d be fined and license revoked. Seriously! This is a high school kid with privacy in regards to his academic situation.

From what I know, the ACT/SAT is part of the student's "educational record" as listed under FERPA. Therefore the only person who can release the information is a parent or student that is 18. If the student gives the information out then he/she made it public. There should be no way to obtain a students' scores without the parent/student signing off.

That is how I understand it.

Reactions: dckchusker and hzzz
We don't necessarily know that someone leaked grades or scores. All it takes is for a classmate to say "Ya, that dude is dumb as a rock!" to a friend. By the time that gets to here, it could read "he ain't gonna qualify".

From what I know, the ACT/SAT is part of the student's "educational record" as listed under FERPA. Therefore the only person who can release the information is a parent or student that is 18. If the student gives the information out then he/she made it public. There should be no way to obtain a students' scores without the parent/student signing off.

That is how I understand it.
I have had the privilege to sit on boards that judge/evaluate local scholarship applications. A couple of them ask for their act score. Not sure how the recruiting services work. Whether they ask for act scores. How do university/coaches get them? Do they just ask the kids, hey what's your act score? They get it from somewhere and it's info they need. Heck we all knew how our classmates did on them. Same when my kids were in school. They freely discussed what their scores were

every major school in vetting a recruit inquires about grades and test scores
given Betts talent - schools from all over the nation know his academic standing

in going through this process recently we sent transcripts and test scores to schools as part of the recruiting process - with limited scholarships they aren't going to take kids words that everything will be fine academically

you also have to register with the NCAA to determine eligibility status

Reactions: huskerfan66
every major school in vetting a recruit inquires about grades and test scores
given Betts talent - schools from all over the nation know his academic standing

in going through this process recently we sent transcripts and test scores to schools as part of the recruiting process - with limited scholarships they aren't going to take kids words that everything will be fine academically

you also have to register with the NCAA to determine eligibility status
Kinda what I figured.

Yes, the college can ask for the information as part of the application/qualification process. All athletes have to go through the NCAA Clearinghouse. Did you see Nebraska reveal Mo Washington's ACT? no, they accept the Clearinghouse paperwork. I have seen profiles of a student/athlete where it lists height, weight, position which is directory information and a school can give that out but when you see an ACT score the student provided that.

Reactions: huskerfan66
How the heck do we get away with talking about a minor's grades and ability to qualify for college? This info should not be shared until the kid is at least an adult...if he is 18 then....

lol. Those posts are just wild ass speculation based on what website writers write. They hear a kid needs work in the classroom and it spreads around and as time passes the severity of the work that needs to get done gets worse, even though the actual reality is not that case.

There isn't anyone closer to this situation than the coaching staff, the teachers, the counselor (if they do that in schools these days?), the kid himself and the parents. There isn't a single person on a message board that will know the latest information.

And how did those two players end up? Says alot about their character.

lol. Those posts are just wild ass speculation based on what website writers write. They hear a kid needs work in the classroom and it spreads around and as time passes the severity of the work that needs to get done gets worse, even though the actual reality is not that case.

There isn't anyone closer to this situation than the coaching staff, the teachers, the counselor (if they do that in schools these days?), the kid himself and the parents. There isn't a single person on a message board that will know the latest information.
I am just pointing out how many pathetic losers there are on this board who have to speculate about a kid who is still in HS. It is one thing to speculate about his football skills but now people are assuming he is bad in the classroom, or lazy, or doesn't care, or isn't college worthy. I wouldn't wish this on anyone's kid but It would be nice if some of these guys offspring became the focus of a free and anonymous message board once in a while. To be honest this board should be shut down and should be pay only.

I am repeating what was told to me by a long time friend of their family so don’t shoot the messenger. Their kids have grown up with the Betts kids. Said the whole family is class act and some of the best people they have met. That being said, he told me he didn’t see any way that he would qualify as his academics were, in his opinion, too far gone to salvage in one year. Hopefully he’s wrong and could be as I’m sure he’s never seen his actual grades.

ADVERTISEMENT