ADVERTISEMENT

Yvan is gone. Wood and Arop too.

so, now time to find someone to take his spot.

Heard that Fred and crew contacted TyTy very soon after he decommitted from Creighton. That could be a nice fill. PG, which is a need. They also need bigs though. Wonder if Yvan wont be the last.

I don't really get why Stevenson fell out of favor the last couple of games. I thought the way he attacked the rim was valuable and he started to hit a few open 3s as well.

What did Blanton do? As a PG he wasn't very good, lost his spot and came off the bench and dropped his head.

Stevenson was hot and cold, good for a few charges and turnovers every game.

We need players who can shoot and take care of the ball. We are a team that gives up too many easy shots and can't hit the J.

The only member of the BB team that received any post season big ten acknowledgment fled the team before the season even finished

what the heck is going on?

Not a surprise.

You cannot play a guys like Oeudrago or Thor major minutes in the current big ten and win games on any consistent basis. This conference currently has two 1 seeds, two 2 seeds and 8 teams in the tourney overall with three more that had good enough players to have a legit chance. Assuming the the conference continues to be somewhat similiar in overall talent Fred needs to identify 8 guys overall and 4 dudes that can compete in the post and rebound and defend enough to give team a legit chance to win enough games to move into the middle of the conference.

As it stands now I would rate guys as follows for what I think they will be next year

Big Ten Competitive (Can hold there own in conference, role player and bench rotation)

Walker
Andre
Breidenbach
Banton
Mayen

Big Ten Good

T McGowens

Big Ten Really good

B McGowens (assuming he is what we think he is)

Big Ten Great (all conference types) Possibly McGowens if there is a year 2

None

Hopefully those seven guys are part of roster in 2022 and a couple more guys leave and we find at least one transfer guard and a forward that can be big ten competitive next year for Fred (coaching) to have any chance of fielding a .500 type team. Even then, unless one of Walker, Andre, Breidenbach develops into a much better player than I expect we are going to have a real tough time defending the interior and rebounding well enough to have legit shots to win most nights in conference. Your margin of error is so slim when you get you crap handed to you physically up front in a league that absolutely lets teams play.

I am hopeful and believe in Fred and believe progress is being made but he really has his work cut out for him in the offseason to get the things done that would allow this team to move from bottom feeder to middle of pack next year. Good news is that in basketball it only takes a couple of dudes and you can get good really fast if you have big ten players around them. I am still all in on this coaching staff and think it is the best we can do but I still don't see the talent necessary to win in the Big Ten.

Reactions: TheNewNU
When I watched Yvan play, in addition to cringing every time he tried to dribble, I always thought he would turn into a decent player - in 3 or 4 years - AFTER he’s graduated.

Andre looks to have a higher upside, and perhaps Briedenbach will have more advanced skills to help NU inside. I’m assuming Walker returns, too.

Reactions: dinglefritz
what’s this we $&it coming from you..

your screen name says your a Ioway herkey..
iowa fans masquerading as NU fans on this board is one of the sadder and stranger things that happens in the entire internet

like, I understand creepy pedos pretending to be tweens as a means to their sick, twisted end

I will never understand inbred iowa fan pretending to be an NU fan on a completely anonymous message board

I don't really get why Stevenson fell out of favor the last couple of games. I thought the way he attacked the rim was valuable and he started to hit a few open 3s as well.
Too many stupid turnovers and defensive lapses for Stevenson. I would be surprised if he left unless he decided he wanted to move down a division to get more playing time.

Reactions: Can o' corn
When I watched Yvan play, in addition to cringing every time he tried to dribble, I always thought he would turn into a decent player - in 3 or 4 years - AFTER he’s graduated.

Andre looks to have a higher upside, and perhaps Briedenbach will have more advanced skills to help NU inside. I’m assuming Walker returns, too.
Yvan couldn't shoot from outside of 5 feet, he couldn't dribble, he had trouble securing rebounds, couldn't finish around the rim, didn't shoot free throws well and he couldn't guard other team's bigs. Other than that he was a pretty good player for us.

He seemed like a really good guy. I hope he haves lots of success in life going forward. He's just a youngster.

Yvan couldn't shoot from outside of 5 feet, he couldn't dribble, he had trouble securing rebounds, couldn't finish around the rim, didn't shoot free throws well and he couldn't guard other team's bigs. Other than that he was a pretty good player for us.

He seemed like a really good guy. I hope he haves lots of success in life going forward. He's just a youngster.
given all he is not, I really wish he would've used all his fouls more often, especially after Andre emerged.

he could deliver some punishment if he wanted to, and I would've been more than fine with him trying to do his best Ben Wallace impression.

Actually the players that contributed the most were on the roster a year ago but had to sit out. Blanton, Walker, Stevenson
I think the guys who would be most likely to transfer would be Wood and Arop. Woods got virtually no playing time this past year and we have a 5 star guard coming to town. We'll need somebody eventually to replace Trey whenever he runs out of eligibility but I don't think it will be Woods. Hopefully he sticks around and develops but what I saw out of him this season wasn't encouraging.

Last edited:
I think the guys who would be most likely to transfer would be Woods and Arop. Woods got virtually no playing time this past year and we have a 5 star guard coming to town. We'll need somebody eventually to replace Trey whenever he runs out of eligibility but I don't think it will be Woods. Hopefully he sticks around and develops but what I saw out of him this season wasn't encouraging.
you were encouraged by him prior to the B1G season, going so far as posting about it

what changed?

given all he is not, I really wish he would've used all his fouls more often, especially after Andre emerged.

he could deliver some punishment if he wanted to, and I would've been more than fine with him trying to do his best Ben Wallace impression.
Given Fred's proven ability to bring in talent, I think people might want to get used to him recruiting over existing team members. Hopefully that will be a trend. I'm hopeful that NU showed just enough this past year to sell more high level recruits that they're the missing piece we need to win. Fingers crossed.

Given Fred's proven ability to bring in talent, I think people might want to get used to him recruiting over existing team members. Hopefully that will be a trend. I'm hopeful that NU showed just enough this past year to sell more high level recruits that they're the missing piece we need to win. Fingers crossed.
yea.

my post had more to do with Fred using (or not using) what he's got at his disposal than who he's bringing in.

Reactions: ATX Husker
you were encouraged by him prior to the B1G season, going so far as posting about it

what changed?
I saw him play this year. Maybe it was because it was always at garbage time but he didn't look like a B1G guard to me. A very successful D-2 basketball coach I knew used to say, "Big men usually have a lot of room to develop when they get to college. Guards are normally pretty much all they're going to be when they get to campus".

I thought Stevenson was good to start the season, but he always takes a few minutes to settle in, usually giving up a few turnovers/bad fouls in the process. He is absolute trash off the bench, forces everything.

I think the guys who would be most likely to transfer would be Woods and Arop. Woods got virtually no playing time this past year and we have a 5 star guard coming to town. We'll need somebody eventually to replace Trey whenever he runs out of eligibility but I don't think it will be Woods. Hopefully he sticks around and develops but what I saw out of him this season wasn't encouraging.

Fred brought in Wood because he was a close friend of Bryce McGowens, and helped recruit him here. So I don't think Fred will tell him to leave. Perhaps he'll leave on his own for more playing time, but I'd think he will want to be teammates with Bryce for one year at least.

Fred brought in Wood because he was a close friend of Bryce McGowens, and helped recruit him here. So I don't think Fred will tell him to leave. Perhaps he'll leave on his own for more playing time, but I'd think he will want to be teammates with Bryce for one year at least.
I have no desire to see him leave as long as we have room on the roster for other guys to sign with NU. Now him being here makes sense.

Fred has one quality that it take to be a winner. He likes to compete!! Several years ago after he had graduated from ISU I played golf with him and Johnny Orr at a Cycolne outing. Fred beat Johnny by two strokes shooting under par. Johnny kept talking. Fred said coach I'm done having to let you win. Get used to it.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Arop has chronic knee issues, and even if he can get healthy, will have a tough time getting much playing time over the guys coming back and coming in. If he wants to play a lot, he might be better off at a school like UNO.
He has chronic knee issues or blew out a knee?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT