ADVERTISEMENT

Youth Baseball/Softball Set to Return 6/1

for anyone who's keeping track:

ufc fought this past weekend
major european soccer leagues will play games june 1
nascar race this sunday
youth sports returning june 1
ncaa expected to make proposal to conferences about resuming on-campus activities by june 1

lot of dominoes falling.

all good signs and timing for a football season, despite what the haters and losers, of which there are many, would have you believe.

I'm certainly ready for some football but realistically having little league events where parents can't sit on the bleachers has little to do with NCAA football.

The NCAA has already put out it's list of regulations about how sports will be opened again so it's no real secret what it wants to see and it mirrors the federal guidelines pretty closely.

The real sticking point will be what to do about the competitive issue. States like Nebraska and Iowa will be out front of states like Mary land or New Jersey. So the question becomes will the NCAA or the Conferences allow events to go forward where Nebraska has had all summer for team activities and OSU doesn't begin to have activities until August when it's campus opens again. Franklin from PSU was making a deal about this the other day probably because he knows that at this point in time the powers that be aren't going to be on the side of folks opening up the fastest and it's going to potentially screw him.

Stuff like that. dewine and others already said the other day he has no idea if the season will happen and anyone who says they do is making it up at this point. Decision makers are pointing at the end of the month as a key date although fourth of July keeps popping up in interviews as a decision date.

Reactions: scarletred
If you have a link about NCAA proposal to resume on campus activities on June 1 I'd like to see it. At their meeting a few days ago it was brought up they were likely to extend the dead period through the end of June which would Kill evaluation recruiting and camps.

Thank goodness! Now these little guys can still get in about 75 games from June until the end of August. If they are lucky the coaches will be able to send out some info about a "really good wooden bat tourney" that is being held just outside of KC...with the reminder of "It will be an extra cost, so I wanted to let the parents decide if you think this is something that will help your son"

I'm curious if some legion organizations might fold? I cannot imagine their pockets were overflowing with cash pre Wuhan....

I'm curious if some legion organizations might fold? I cannot imagine their pockets were overflowing with cash pre Wuhan....

For some communities the local American Legion Post really has nothing to do with baseball teams. I played Legion baseball from 85-88. We received nothing from the local American Legion Post. We had a baseball association through the city that took care of us. We raised money to go to tournaments. Now in my hometown the Legion baseball teams are sponsored by a Bank.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Baseball....unsafe
Going to large, multi-national corporations like Walmart, target, Lowes, and Home Depot....safe.
I'm chuckling... true. It's also going to be humorous watching the usual entitled self-absorbed youth baseball crowd violate all of the new rules. No fans anywhere between dugouts? But what about the Moms and Dads that like to stand RIGHT behind home plate hanging on the fence so Johnny and the ump can see and hear them clearly?

I'm chuckling... true. It's also going to be humorous watching the usual entitled self-absorbed youth baseball crowd violate all of the new rules. No fans anywhere between dugouts? But what about the Moms and Dads that like to stand RIGHT behind home plate hanging on the fence so Johnny and the ump can see and hear them clearly?

I said a few weeks ago it wouldn't be the worst thing for mom and dad to have to stay in the car.

My son's high school team here in Omaha is losing out on gate fees and concessions which will be a huge hit to their team budget. I'm guessing parents will have to pay more to play or there will be more fundraising options. (Although raising funds in these times will be a tough sell!!)

Reactions: baseball31ne
My son's high school team here in Omaha is losing out on gate fees and concessions which will be a huge hit to their team budget. I'm guessing parents will have to pay more to play or there will be more fundraising options. (Although raising funds in these times will be a tough sell!!)

Imagine being a church or charitable organization right now!!

Buying candy bars from Hy-Vee.....safe
Buying candy bars from a shack 200 feet away from where you're sitting.....unsafe.

I said a few weeks ago it wouldn't be the worst thing for mom and dad to have to stay in the car.

Yep. Coached for years. Loved working with the kids. Parents? Not so much.

Our rec league baseball was really bare bones, targeted anyone who wanted to play.

-55 dollar registration fee. For most of the summer. If a kid couldn't afford it, the league would find sponsors to pay the fee. It included
  • practices,
  • 14 umpired games
  • hat and shirt
  • end of year tournament.

Nobody coaching or involved in my son's age bracket when we moved here. OK, I'll bite. And learn how to coach baseball at the same time. First couple years, Youtube was my friend.

Typical season:

-Can anyone help me coach? One guy, yes, part time only. Ok. Everyone else way too busy.
-Can anyone else help part time or on Saturdays? Nope. Everyone works and is busy. Ok I'll do it.
-Can anyone cut the grass? Nope. Everyone works and is busy. Ok I'll do it.
-Can anyone help rake and line the field before any of the 7 home games? I could really use the help. Nope. Everyone is busy working. OK, I'll take off work early those days and do it.
-Can anyone help keep score? No? You all want to watch the game instead? Join the club. Well, someone's got to do it. Here's the rotation for parents to keep score.. Hey, imagine that, you were too busy to come to the game your scheduled scorekeeper week! 3 years in a row! Thanks! I'll just have my 6 year old daughter do it.

"Hey coach, I thought I'd wait to see you after practice here for the first time ever in order to bitch about having to buy pants for my kid. Can you talk to someone in the league to let him know he needs pants? Seems like we should be getting a lot more for $55."

"Also, if you don't mind, I'll be the guy that insists on sitting behind home plate where I'm not supposed to be, running my mouth the entire game, and generally pissing everyone off. I know less than zero about baseball, and I'm proud to put that on full display at every home game (too busy to come to away games) but if I don't sit back here pissing everyone off, who would fill that void?"

"Hey, coach, I can't make the away game on Saturday. I'm too busy. Can you swing by my house 8 miles in the wrong direction to pick up my kid and drive him to the game? I would bring him to your house for a ride to the game but I'm too busy, and you probably have nothing else going on that morning."

"Hey coach, I noticed you don't play your kid in the outfield very much. My kid, who comes to practice sporadically, seems to be out there a lot. This should be more fair"

Our rec league baseball was really bare bones, targeted anyone who wanted to play.

-55 dollar registration fee. For most of the summer. If a kid couldn't afford it, the league would find sponsors to pay the fee. It included
  • practices,
  • 14 umpired games
  • hat and shirt

Nobody coaching or involved in my son's age bracket when we moved here. OK, I'll bite. And learn how to coach baseball at the same time. First couple years, Youtube was my friend.

Typical season:

-Can anyone help me coach? One guy, yes, part time only. Ok. Everyone else way too busy.
-Can anyone else help part time or on Saturdays? Nope. Everyone works and is busy. Ok I'll do it.
-Can anyone help rake and line the field before any of the 7 home games? I could really use the help. Nope. Everyone is busy working. OK, I'll take off work early those days and do it.
-Can anyone help keep score? No? You all want to watch the game instead? Join the club. Well, someone's got to do it. Here's the rotation for parents to keep score.. Hey, imagine that, you were too busy to come to the game your scheduled scorekeeper week! 3 years in a row! Thanks! I'll just have my 6 year old daughter do it.

"Hey coach, I thought I'd wait to see you after practice here for the first time ever in order to bitch about having to buy pants for my kid. Can you talk to someone in the league to let him know he needs pants? Seems like we should be getting a lot more for $55."

"Also, if you don't mind, I'll be the guy that insists on sitting behind home plate where I'm not supposed to be, running my mouth the entire game, and generally pissing everyone off. I know less than zero about baseball, and I'm proud to put that on full display at every home game (too busy to come to away games) but if I don't sit back here pissing everyone off, who would fill that void?"

"Hey, coach, I can't make the away game on Saturday. I'm too busy. Can you swing by my house 8 miles in the wrong direction to pick up my kid and drive him to the game? I would bring him to your house for a ride to the game but I'm too busy, and you probably have nothing else going on that morning."

"Hey coach, I noticed you don't play your kid in the outfield very much. My kid, who comes to practice sporadically, seems to be out there a lot. This should be more fair"
Pretty funny stuff, so many things about youth sports to cringe at and yet so many fun memories for our family. But hey, you know what Domingo Ayala calls the kid who plays short, dontcha? "Coach's kid" LOL!

• practices,
  • 14 umpired games
  • hat and shirt

Typical season:

This is golden - thanks for posting it.

I continue to be amazed by people who insist they are sooooooo busy, but assume everyone else has nothing but time on their hands.

Reactions: leodisflowers
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT