ADVERTISEMENT

You're not all gonna like this... but my plan B would be...

ThereIsNoPlace

Blackshirt
Nov 29, 2014
Sumlin. I think he would bring the talent, especially with TX connections. He's tough minded and can put up wins in bunches. Get him a DC & a recruiting system, I say he gets us back to 10 wins in 3-4 years.

Reactions: headcard
He hasn't done anything since Manziel left. He generally beats the teams he should, but rarely beats the really good teams. It would be like being back in Bo-gatory all over again.

He hasn't done anything since Manziel left. He generally beats the teams he should, but rarely beats the really good teams. It would be like being back in Bo-gatory all over again.

Some would say that would be like TOs first 20 years.

I think Nebraska needs to be top 15 every year not necessarily have a certain win total.

Getting smoked by anyone worth beating and just barely beating avg teams padding win totals won't do it.

Think Sumlin can do that? I mean he has all you would need to win at TAMU, much more so than Nebraska.

The competition is higher sure, but easy access to top talent is also there more so.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
I agree. I think people are off in the recruiting and access to talent thing. Yes it makes jobs like USC and Texas great. But, while ATM is near a ton of talent, they are benhind Texas, Oklahoma, LSU, etc in the pecking order. That is what the UCF cheerleaders fail to grasp. Yes there is speed in Florida, but they are behind Florida, FSU, Miami, Georgia, Tennessee, Clemson, Auburn, Alabama, etc, etc to get it. At Nebraska, we are the closest, most appealing option for a lot of kids from KC, STL, CHI, DEN, Omaha, etc

Last edited:
Osborne wasn't getting his doors blown off like Bo was though, and we almost always finished ranked in the Top 10.
How many scholarships could we offer then?

I am not trying to diminish Osborne’s accomplishments at all, but for much of his tenure couldn’t we offer a ton of scholarships and keep good players away from other schools? Maybe I’m simplifying it too much and this isn’t a big deal. If anybody has insight on this it would be much appreciated.

How many scholarships could we offer then?

I am not trying to diminish Osborne’s accomplishments at all, but for much of his tenure couldn’t we offer a ton of scholarships and keep good players away from other schools? Maybe I’m simplifying it too much and this isn’t a big deal. If anybody has insight on this it would be much appreciated.

I believe scholarship limitations (85) started in 92. Oddly enough, we got better after the 85 limitation went into effect. Edit - I think our transition to the 4-3 and change in recruiting philosophy had as much to do with our improvement as anything.

"1973 brought about the first limitations on football scholarships in order to free up money for women's sports after Title IX was passed by Congress in 1972 as part of the Equal Opportunity in Education Act. This caused the NCAA schools' presidents and athletic directors to push through a limit of 105 football scholarships. Additional reductions were made in 1978 (95) and again in 1992 which brought the limit to its present number of 85 and 63 for Division I-AA."

Last edited:
Reactions: timnsun
Yet another option better than Riley and likely better than Pelini.

To say that he is a "players coach" might be understating it though. If you've seen one of his practices, you know exactly what I'm talking about.

Reactions: Sinomatic
The only coaches I know that would be big name splash hires that could recruit and not already at a big time D1 school as HC are Chip Kelly, Gruden, Sweater Vest, Pete Carrol

Coaches who are not splash but I think COULD do well at NU...Scott Frost and Bobby Petrino(little baggage I know)

Coach who I think is iffy but I REALLY think would be fun to watch anyway..Ken Niumatalolo

Sumlin. I think he would bring the talent, especially with TX connections. He's tough minded and can put up wins in bunches. Get him a DC & a recruiting system, I say he gets us back to 10 wins in 3-4 years.
There is something that isn’t right with Sumlin. He ran off three quality qbs in one year. His players don’t seem to like him, and he does a good job of choking games away.

If we don't get a "special" recruiter to Lincoln, we're in big trouble...we gotta raise our talent level....if not Frost, I think Sumlin can do that.

You are correct, IMHO, on the recruiting aspect. That is the most difficult part of the Nebraska job. Not trying to be negative but if all things were equal and you had Tom Osborne walk into your home and Scott Frost, both at their peak which would be right now, how does Scott recruit? What does he have to sell? He has zero wins as a HC at a P5 school. yes, I know his history at Oregon but I think over time he is going to have to build his recruiting resume considerably.

Reactions: ThereIsNoPlace
[QUOTE="headcard, post That is what the UCF cheerleaders fail to grasp. [/QUOTE]

Well, their cheerleaders may not be able to grasp that, but who cares? They look like they could recruit no matter what! :D

ucf-15-dance-team-pic.jpg

140103163214-fiesta-bowl-ucf-cheerleaders-ucf-dance-bruce-yeung-by4-5999-single-image-cut.jpg

Reactions: ThereIsNoPlace
You are correct, IMHO, on the recruiting aspect. That is the most difficult part of the Nebraska job. Not trying to be negative but if all things were equal and you had Tom Osborne walk into your home and Scott Frost, both at their peak which would be right now, how does Scott recruit? What does he have to sell? He has zero wins as a HC at a P5 school. yes, I know his history at Oregon but I think over time he is going to have to build his recruiting resume considerably.

It will take some time, but he still has plenty to sell recruits:

Coached the #1 scoring offense in the country
Developed Marcus Mariota into an NFL QB
Took an 0-12 team to 10-0 in 2 years
Played in the NFL
Coached and played in a National Championship game
Has been both an offensive and defensive coordinator

[QUOTE="headcard, post That is what the UCF cheerleaders fail to grasp.

Well, their cheerleaders may not be able to grasp that, but who cares? They look like they could recruit no matter what! :D

ucf-15-dance-team-pic.jpg

140103163214-fiesta-bowl-ucf-cheerleaders-ucf-dance-bruce-yeung-by4-5999-single-image-cut.jpg
[/QUOTE]
He really did downgrade when he left Oregon.

Reactions: Redblood23
Doubt if Sumlin would be worse than Riley, but the three previous seasons he lost 15 games, gave up a huge lead to Ucla this year along with 3 other losses so far. Better than MR, but not great if you ask an A&M fan.

If we don't get a "special" recruiter to Lincoln, we're in big trouble...we gotta raise our talent level....if not Frost, I think Sumlin can do that.
Sumlin's teams vastly underperform their talent level. How many first round draft picks has aTm had that they haven't been able to do anything with?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT