ADVERTISEMENT

Your wants

planored

Athletic Director
Aug 5, 2003
let me say I am not big fire Riley this year guy, needs this yr and next yr IMO. Having said that what are your top 3 wants in this program and who are the realistic coaches that meet your criteria?

Power Run game Miles/Bohl
Spread Frost
Defense Venables

As examples

My want?? For Nebraska to leave a blank check for a proven, aggressive AD at a place similar to Nebraska and let him make the decision.

My want?? For Nebraska to leave a blank check for a proven, aggressive AD at a place similar to Nebraska and let him make the decision.
I think it takes more than that at Neb there is a certain culture that money players want so what is it

I think it takes more than that at Neb there is a certain culture that money players want so what is it

I disagree. You go out and get the best AD. Go out and get the best coach. The culture should be winning and you do that by getting the best of the best.

While we sit and worry about who fits the "Nebraska way" other schools leave us in the dust.

IF....Riley can't get it turned around, like probably finish 6-3 the remainder of the season, I think he is done. The die has been cast. Honestly, I still hope he can. I just don't see it. Any who know me on the board know that I was all in on Riley.

I started a thread last week about "maybe the time is right for Frost", because of the rumblings about SE. I was shocked it happened this fast with the firing, but it seemed to be inevitable anyway.

Barring a miraculous turnaround, I still am under the impression that Riley is a lame duck coach. I have waffled on who I would like to see as a successor, but in reality, I think SF would actually turn out to be a great hire. I am going to get a lot of flack from many such as double, Archie, Tuco, Tim...etc, that I have been in pretty much lock-step in the support of Riley on this.....or if he failed, hiring a Chip Kelley type.

I am now going all in on Frost
If Riley can't get it turned around, this will GREATLY REDUCE any inside info I get, lol. Is what it is, though.

Anyway, here is why I would support Frost. For one, he just seems to have 'it'. I think he has a great mind for the game. I really think he could take an 'Oregon offense' to the next level. The power aspect that he is trying to implement to that style of offense might be great. I think that can also recruit to a niche.

I agree with many in this aspect of recruiting.....NU needs to be 'different', not triple option style different as some are calling for (sorry people, that is dead, NOT EVER COMING BACK TO WIN AT A HIGH LEVEL). The game is just different now. Hell, I coach.... and the game is just not the same as it was in the 90's. Forget about seeing Tommie, Phillips, Green, Benning (plug for Damon, lol) and some of our great FB's in the past running that style of offense again.

I support Frost, NOT because he was a Husker, but because of what I see potentially and where he learned at. It is a bonus that he was a Husker because he gives NU the inside track to get a guy like that. Also, if he is succesful, he isn't ever going anywhere. He just might be the long time stability NU needs. If NU got his mentor (Chip), he probably bails within 5-6 years of being successful and we are back to square one. We need someone to come in and develop a culture and an identity. THAT is what NU is lacked over the last 18 years.

If NU did not hire Frost and was somewhat succesful (like maybe back to nine...or maybe an occasional ten win season) we might be happy for a minute. But 'what if' Frost goes on to kill it somewhere else because we snubbed him? NU has already been in the gutter for the last 16-17 years. So let's just say he tanks? What difference would that make? The reward is worth the risk for me at this point.

Still, I hope Riley can get it turned around. Love that guy. I want to see him leave in 4-5 years with a title or two of some sort. Then have someone like Frost take over. The way it looks right now, probably not gonna happen. His leash is probably a noose at this point. So I would take the growing pains with SF instead of risking a 'what if' if that comes. GBR.

Last edited:
IF....Riley can't get it turned around, like probably finish 6-3 the remainder of the season, I think he is done. The die has been cast. Honestly, I still hope he can. I just don't see it. Any who know me on the board know that I was all in on Riley.

I started a thread last week about "maybe the time is right for Frost", because of the rumblings about SE. I was shocked it happened this fast with the firing, but it seemed to be inevitable anyway.

Barring a miraculous turnaround, I still am under the impression that Riley is a sitting duck. I have waffled on who I would like to see as a successor, but in reality, I think SF would actually turn out to be a great hire. I am going to get a lot of flack from many such as double, Archie, Tuco, Tim...etc, that I have been in pretty much lock-step in the support of Riley on this.....or if he failed, hiring a Chip Kelley type.

If Riley can't get it turned around, this will GREATLY REDUCE any inside info I get, lol. Is what it is, though.

Anyway, here is why I would support Frost. For one, he just seems to have 'it'. I think he has a great mind for the game. I really think he could take an 'Oregon offense' to the next level. The power aspect that he is trying to implement to that style of offense might be great. I think that can also recruit to a niche.

I agree with many in this aspect of recruiting.....NU needs to be 'different', not triple option style different as some are calling for (sorry people, that is dead, NOT EVER COMING BACK TO WIN AT A HIGH LEVEL). The game is just different now. Hell, I coach.... and the game is just not the same as it was in the 90's. Forget about seeing Tommie, Phillips, Green, Benning (plug for Damon, lol) and some of our great FB's in the past running that style of offense again.

I support Frost, NOT because he was a Husker, but because of what I see potentially and where he learned at. It is a bonus that he was a Husker because he gives NU the inside track to get a guy like that. Also, if he is succesful, he isn't ever going anywhere. He just might be the long time stability NU needs. If NU got his mentor (Chip), he probably bails within 5-6 years of being successful and we are back to square one. We need someone to come in and develop a culture and an identity. THAT is what NU is lacked over the last 18 years.

If NU did not hire Frost and was somewhat succesful (like maybe back to nine...or maybe an occasional ten win season) we might be happy for a minute. But 'what if' Frost goes on to kill it somewhere else because we snubbed him? NU has already been in the gutter for the last 16-17 years. So let's just say he tanks? What difference would that make? The reward is worth the risk for me at this point.

Still, I hope Riley can get it turned around. Love that guy. I want to see him leave in 4-5 years with a title or two of some sort. Then have someone like Frost take over. The way it looks right now, probably not gonna happen. His leash is probably a noose at this point. So I would take the growing pains with SF instead of risking a 'what if' if that comes. GBR.
I think the new AD, sits down with every coach and lays out his/her plan for the athletic department and every program within. I still think Reilly gets the rest of the season to see what he can do to the right the ship, but I don't believe it will be enough to save his job. In regards to Frost being our next head coach, they should take a wait and see approach on how he finishes the season, two years head coaching doesn't give people a lot of confidence that he can get it done.

I'd just like to see Nebraska quit paying out $ to people that don't even work there anymore! Ugh
From an ego perspective I agree it hurts to pay guys who aren't coaching or working, but trust me payoff money does not set the program backwards.

The athletic department is healthy and if they step up their investment in the right people, the ROI is significant.

Barring a miraculous turnaround, I still am under the impression that Riley is a sitting duck. I have waffled on who I would like to see as a successor, but in reality, I think SF would actually turn out to be a great hire. I am going to get a lot of flack from many such as double, Archie, Tuco, Tim...etc, that I have been in pretty much lock-step in the support of Riley on this.....or if he failed, hiring a Chip Kelley type.

I'm supporting Riley until the end. I like him a lot.

Frost? I'd guess we will have to play the long game with him. He's new to the HC thing, doesn't know how to build a recruiting machine, doesn't have an established or experienced coaching tree, etc. that's doesn't mean he can't be successful. It means he will likely have to get 6-10 years to rebuild this thing. And I'll be supporting him, if hired, just like I support Riley.

I disagree. You go out and get the best AD. Go out and get the best coach. The culture should be winning and you do that by getting the best of the best.

While we sit and worry about who fits the "Nebraska way" other schools leave us in the dust.

That is the rub isn't it? Who is the best? When you make your dream list you then start at the top and work down? So Saban would be the first offer? I just don't think it will work that way at all. We will get the "best we can get" not the best that is out there, two different scales.

Last edited:
Reactions: HuskerDana
They damn shure need to hire some one with strong ties to Nebraska to keep are walk on program strong. It is are life blood like it or not.

let me say I am not big fire Riley this year guy, needs this yr and next yr IMO. Having said that what are your top 3 wants in this program and who are the realistic coaches that meet your criteria?

Spread Frost
Defense Venables

As examples

I would want an innovate offense coupled with a hard-nosed, stingy defense. I doubt pro-style works in Nebraska which was my biggest beef with the Callahan and Riley hires. I don't like the 3-4 prevent but do see advantages to recruiting fast linebackers with 3 down lineman.

Hell, what Arky State did to us on offense and what NIU did on defense is fine by me, stylistically.

No pro-style offense. Too hard to recruit 4-5 star WR to Lincoln and develop elite OL. Also tough to recruit elite DE and DT.

Speed, speed speed.

I'm supporting Riley until the end. I like him a lot.

Frost? I'd guess we will have to play the long game with him. He's new to the HC thing, doesn't know how to build a recruiting machine, doesn't have an established or experienced coaching tree, etc. that's doesn't mean he can't be successful. It means he will likely have to get 6-10 years to rebuild this thing. And I'll be supporting him, if hired, just like I support Riley.

Archie, I know you keep saying that hiring Frost would mean NU would be in for a 6-10 year rebuild. Where are we sitting at in year 3 with Riley, though? I mean, he is only 16-13 with a couple of head scratchers, a couple of games where we did not look like we belong on the same field as our opponent, and an embarrassing loss to a directional school that has lost 11 of their last 17. So, when do you expect Riley to get over the hump? Year 5? Year 6?

For the record, I am okay if they keep MR. Like I said before, he is a class act and is not the embarrassment that the last representative at the head of our program was. He is the kind of guy that is easy to pull for. I just don't see it happening at this point.

So, I am fine with a guy in his early 40's on a six year rebuild when we already have a guy in his 60's doing the same thing. Especially when that guy will still most likely be here in his 60's or even 70's.

Anyway, you and a few others are a handful that I have agreed with on here for a long time. I guess we will have to agree to disagree IF we are in the business of hiring a new HC.

Until then, I agree. I will support Riley. I want to see him succeed. That means NU succeeds. Take care Archie...GBR.

Last edited:
My want is simple....8-4 9-3 is ok as long as you matter. Just be a team that matters and plays quality ball.
And have a coaching staff that act like sane human beings treating people with respect. Not too much to ask for a job paying a couple of mill/year. Be competitive AND nice.

Archie, I know you keep saying that hiring Frost would mean NU would be in for a 6-10 year rebuild. Where are we sitting at in year 3 with Riley, though? I mean, he is only 16-13 with a couple of head scratchers, a couple of games where we did not look like we belong on the same field as our opponent, and an embarrassing loss to a directional school that has lost 11 of their last 17. So, when do you expect Riley to get over the hump? Year 5? Year 6?

For the record, I am okay if they keep MR. Like I said before, he is a class act and is not the embarrassment that the last representative at the head of our program was. He is the kind of guy that is easy to pull for. I just don't see it happening at this point.

So, I am fine with a guy in his early 40's on a six year rebuild when we already have a guy in his 60's doing the same thing. Especially when that guy will still most likely be here in his 60's or even 70's.

Anyway, you and a few others are a handful that I have agreed with on here for a long time. I guess we will have to agree to disagree IF we are in the business of hiring a new HC.

Until then, I agree. I will support Riley. I want to see him succeed. That means NU succeeds. Take care Archie...GBR.

Let's pretend we are in a vacuum and our AD wasn't just fired. I think Riley and his staff would significantly upgrade our roster over the next 2-3 years. Significantly. And if he wasn't winning in year 4-5 fire him. Then the next coach would be coming into a significantly better situation with respect to roster management, depth, and talent. As it stands now the next coach is going to be in the same situation Riley was in when he got the job. And that takes 3-4 years to iron out completely.

Hence, the timeline for a guy like Frost. He would be learning on the job and be forced to take on the challenges I describe. He would get the time. But only because our fan base gives different expectations to its own.

Spread Frost
Defense Venables

As examples

I want to watch Nebraska line up each week and play a hard nosed, clean game, where they do not beat themselves routinely with mental errors and penalties. It's been so long since this has occurred I almost wouldn't recognize it in Lincoln.

Let's pretend we are in a vacuum and our AD wasn't just fired. I think Riley and his staff would significantly upgrade our roster over the next 2-3 years. Significantly. And if he wasn't winning in year 4-5 fire him. Then the next coach would be coming into a significantly better situation with respect to roster management, depth, and talent. As it stands now the next coach is going to be in the same situation Riley was in when he got the job. And that takes 3-4 years to iron out completely.

Hence, the timeline for a guy like Frost. He would be learning on the job and be forced to take on the challenges I describe. He would get the time. But only because our fan base gives different expectations to its own.
Unfortunately IF we start over we likely lose Gebbia at the very least. Run The Ball guy is going to demand a dual threat QB.

That is the rug isn't it? Who is the best? When you make your dream list you then start at the top and work down? So Saban would be the first offer? I just don't think it will work that way at all. We will get the "best we can get" not the best that is out there, two different scales.

That is why you get an AD that can go out there and doesn't have the "woe is me" attitude that people don't want to coach at Nebraska. Throw out 7 million a year and I'd have a hard time someone like Dan Mullen, Mike Gundy, Chip Kelly would say no.

If you don't get that then go after a young coach with Regional Ties that is hungry and proven at the power 5 conference. In this case I'd like to see how a coach like Matt Campbell progresses in Ames. Guy has big time written all over him.

I'd be perfectly happy with giving Mike Riley the rest of this year and next to prove his system can't work. Unlike a lot of people here, I'm in no rush to fire Mike Riley.

Throw out 7 million a year and I'd have a hard time someone like Dan Mullen, Mike Gundy, Chip Kelly would say no.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if we ever have administrative leadership that understands money talks and bullshit walks.

Personally, I'm fine with either style of QB so long as the 'dual threat' guy is actually a dual threat.
Me too but we maybe have one of the best looking pro-style QB prospects we've had in a long time waiting in the wings. We would endure another lost recruiting class and a complete change of systems once again.:(

Me too but we maybe have one of the best looking pro-style QB prospects we've had in a long time waiting in the wings. We would endure another lost recruiting class and a complete change of systems once again.:(

Shit. Trust me. I do not want to lose Gebbia. He's going to be a stud.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if we ever have administrative leadership that understands money talks and bullshit walks.

Archie, do you really believe that money is the reason top level coaches haven't been interested in Nebraska? Is Mike Gundy or Dan Mullen the 3rd or 4th best coach in college football?

I don't have any issues paying top dollar for a top coach. I just don't get the need to pay Dan Mullen more than Urban Meyer. If you are going to pay $7 million a year for a coach, cool, but get a coach worth $7 mil a year, don't pay a $4 million a year coach $7 million.

Archie, do you really believe that money is the reason top level coaches haven't been interested in Nebraska? Is Mike Gundy or Dan Mullen the 3rd or 4th best coach in college football?

I don't have any issues paying top dollar for a top coach. I just don't get the need to pay Dan Mullen more than Urban Meyer. If you are going to pay $7 million a year for a coach, cool, but get a coach worth $7 mil a year, don't pay a $4 million a year coach $7 million.

Sorry. I wasn't trying to suggest I'd pay that for Mullen. In fact, I'd be dissapointed if we cut Riley's bag to go after a guy like Mullen. He's a good coach. But he hasn't ever been excellent without Dak Prescott on the roster. We should not pay that kind of money for Mullen.

I'd pay that much for Chip Kelly.

Sorry. I wasn't trying to suggest I'd pay that for Mullen. In fact, I'd be dissapointed if we cut Riley's bag to go after a guy like Mullen. He's a good coach. But he hasn't ever been excellent without Dak Prescott on the roster. We should not pay that kind of money for Mullen.

I'd pay that much for Chip Kelly.

Agree.

What about Greg Schiano?

Upsides: Hard-nosed/aggressive blitzing, man-to-man DB defense; emphasis on special teams (blocked punts in particular); attention to detail; a real eye for talent (put a number of under recruited kids in the NFL); pipeline to NJ & FL kids; now knows his way around the Big Ten (OSU); media savvy; pedigree

Downsides: control freak who may not attract the best coordinators; was an eternal 7-5er at Rutgers (probably a consistent 8-4 guy with NU talent -- might be enough to win the West in most years); prefers a ground and pound offense that requires a lot of quality parts and can be maddeningly inept at times; trouble against the spread offense (was out-coached by Rich Rodriguez & Brian Kelly); was practically a lock to lose at least one 'WTF' game per year

If you want a program you can be proud of and can live with 8 win seasons, minor bowls with the occasional big one, I think he's a solid candidate.

I can also see how that may not be good enough at Lincoln (see: Pelini, Bo)

What about Greg Schiano?

Upsides: Hard-nosed/aggressive blitzing, man-to-man DB defense; emphasis on special teams (blocked punts in particular); attention to detail; a real eye for talent (put a number of under recruited kids in the NFL); pipeline to NJ & FL kids; now knows his way around the Big Ten (OSU); media savvy; pedigree

Downsides: control freak who may not attract the best coordinators; was an eternal 7-5er at Rutgers (probably a consistent 8-4 guy with NU talent -- might be enough to win the West in most years); prefers a ground and pound offense that requires a lot of quality parts and can be maddeningly inept at times; trouble against the spread offense (was out-coached by Rich Rodriguez & Brian Kelly); was practically a lock to lose at least one 'WTF' game per year

If you want a program you can be proud of and can live with 8 win seasons, minor bowls with the occasional big one, I think he's a solid candidate.

I can also see how that may not be good enough at Lincoln (see: Pelini, Bo)
Schiano is a helluva good coach. Rutgers is near impossible to win at and he brought them to a really good place. I'd gladly take Schiano

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT