ADVERTISEMENT

Young Team

Cedric

Redshirt Freshman
Jun 20, 2001
In late August I printed out a team roster (8-22-19 to be exact), wanting to keep in mind for myself how young this team was and that it would be in for the kind of season we have seen so far. This is about what I have expected. For those who have expected NU to challenge Ohio State,etc., I offer this food for thought (Caveat: the roster may be slightly outdated but you'll get the point):
The roster lists 152 total players.
Of those 152, fully half (77) are listed as freshmen or redshirt freshmen and 26 are listed as sophomores, placing 103 of 152 bodies into the freshman or sophomore category. I find this amazing.
There are 24 seniors listed.
Starting with the 24 seniors, I categorize six as stars: Eric Lee, Mo Berry, Lamar Jackson, Darrion Daniels, Khallil Davis, Carlos Davis. I define these guys as those who will be tough to replace. I categorize 9 seniors as contributors: Noa, M. Williams, A. Davis, Ferguson, Stovall, Urbach, Karel, Armstong and Mazour. They all play but in my humble opinion can be easily replaced. I place the other 8 seniors into a category I call "Who?"
Then I went to the underclassmen: Of the 26 sophomores, two are among the team's biggest names: AM2 and Mo Washington. Of the others, I am struck by the number that have been called on to play major roles: Cam Taylor, Austin Allen, now McCallum, Rafdal. Look at the sophomore linemen who have been thrown into action: Hunter Miller, Bando, Hixson, Damion Daniels, Deontre Thomas, even Sichterman. In an ideal world, all of them would be spending their second or third year in the weight room and would emerge in the next two years ready to kick ass. In the present world of NU football, it is baptism by fire for them.
Finally, the freshmen. Lots of parallels to the sophs. Way too many being called on to be contributors: Wandale, Luke Reimer, Garrett Nelson and, notably, Jurgens. That this young man is able to make all the line calls and play at a level of competency with his lack of experience is amazing to me. There are other examples, including Bryce Benhart and Casey Rogers, guys who should be in the weight room for another couple of years before even seeing the field during crunch time.
This is offered for whatever it may be worth. For me, it explains what we saw at Illinois and in Boulder, even against NIU. What is important to me is that I continue to see improvement from week to week, which I believe we are seeing. I have no idea what will happen this weekend -- we well may get thumped -- but I will continue to be positive in my support as Frost and his staff build their roster and continue to make progress toward being a team that can play with most anyone else. They are doing ti the right way. We're not there yet. We will have more Illinois-type mistake-filled games. But this guy's opinion is that we are moving in the right direction. I support this team and these coaches 100%, and I hope you do too.

In late August I printed out a team roster (8-22-19 to be exact), wanting to keep in mind for myself how young this team was and that it would be in for the kind of season we have seen so far. This is about what I have expected. For those who have expected NU to challenge Ohio State,etc., I offer this food for thought (Caveat: the roster may be slightly outdated but you'll get the point):
Of those 152, fully half (77) are listed as freshmen or redshirt freshmen and 26 are listed as sophomores, placing 103 of 152 bodies into the freshman or sophomore category. I find this amazing.
Starting with the 24 seniors, I categorize six as stars: Eric Lee, Mo Berry, Lamar Jackson, Darrion Daniels, Khallil Davis, Carlos Davis. I define these guys as those who will be tough to replace. I categorize 9 seniors as contributors: Noa, M. Williams, A. Davis, Ferguson, Stovall, Urbach, Karel, Armstong and Mazour. They all play but in my humble opinion can be easily replaced. I place the other 8 seniors into a category I call "Who?"
Then I went to the underclassmen: Of the 26 sophomores, two are among the team's biggest names: AM2 and Mo Washington. Of the others, I am struck by the number that have been called on to play major roles: Cam Taylor, Austin Allen, now McCallum, Rafdal. Look at the sophomore linemen who have been thrown into action: Hunter Miller, Bando, Hixson, Damion Daniels, Deontre Thomas, even Sichterman. In an ideal world, all of them would be spending their second or third year in the weight room and would emerge in the next two years ready to kick ass. In the present world of NU football, it is baptism by fire for them.
Finally, the freshmen. Lots of parallels to the sophs. Way too many being called on to be contributors: Wandale, Luke Reimer, Garrett Nelson and, notably, Jurgens. That this young man is able to make all the line calls and play at a level of competency with his lack of experience is amazing to me. There are other examples, including Bryce Benhart and Casey Rogers, guys who should be in the weight room for another couple of years before even seeing the field during crunch time.
This is offered for whatever it may be worth. For me, it explains what we saw at Illinois and in Boulder, even against NIU. What is important to me is that I continue to see improvement from week to week, which I believe we are seeing. I have no idea what will happen this weekend -- we well may get thumped -- but I will continue to be positive in my support as Frost and his staff build their roster and continue to make progress toward being a team that can play with most anyone else. They are doing ti the right way. We're not there yet. We will have more Illinois-type mistake-filled games. But this guy's opinion is that we are moving in the right direction. I support this team and these coaches 100%, and I hope you do too.

This is dead on and the exact reason why I stay off the board during the game and I don’t get involved in the after game thoughts, predictions for the games anymore and all that. I get on just for the recruiting part and that’s it. We have a very young team and we make youthful mistakes. We have way to many fans on this board that forget this and demand our current team to play like juniors and seniors that’s been playing for the same staff for 4-5 years.

It’s just not going to happen. Not in year 2 with this many freshmen and sophomores in the two deep. This year we will be up and down. One game we will kick ass and show that young talent off and how good we can be and the next game we will commit 4 turnovers and 10 penalties for over 100 some odd yards and showing off our youth. All the while adding almost 700 total yards of offense and holding the other team to under 300 total yards of offense. The future is bright for us, we just have to deal with a young team that makes costly mistakes one game and then kills it the next game this year. GBR

What the heck happened last year then when we had a bunch of seniors playing? In the end, it's just excuses. Everywhere around the country you have a lot of freshman and sophomore players getting a ton of minutes. Our team really isn't that young compared to most other programs.

Reactions: jeans15
What the heck happened last year then when we had a bunch of seniors playing? In the end, it's just excuses. Everywhere around the country you have a lot of freshman and sophomore players getting a ton of minutes. Our team really isn't that young compared to most other programs.

Well being fair, we didn’t exactly have many seniors that where worth a dam. We had some starting but they had been coached horribly for years. Our best players LAST YEAR where Freshmen and sophomores.

What will the excuses be next season?

There won’t be any excuses next season. You got to be super negative, a moron or not even a real Husker fan if you think we play bad next year and this season isn’t over with. They started off slowly and have made youthful mistakes but we are far from shitting the bed. I don’t expect to see this team struggle much at all with another year under their belts and another year of strength and conditioning. Will not happen.

There won’t be any excuses next season. You got to be super negative, a moron or not even a real Husker fan if you think we play bad next year and this season isn’t over with. They started off slowly and have made youthful mistakes but we are far from shitting the bed. I don’t expect to see this team struggle much at all with another year under their belts and another year of strength and conditioning. Will not happen.

We haven't shit the bed? Blew a 17 point lead to Colorado and damn near got beat by cellar dweller of the conference Illinois when we more than doubled their yardage. You're on drugs man. Can you share?

Reactions: oldjar07
We haven't shit the bed? Blew a 17 point lead to Colorado and damn near got beat by cellar dweller of the conference Illinois when we more than doubled their yardage. You're on drugs man. Can you share?

We had a bad game against Colorado. Actually a bad 1 and a quarter of a game. Illinois game was youthful mistakes (4 fumbles and 10 plus penalties for over 100 some yards. Huskers had dam near 700 total yards of offense to Illinois being held under 300 yards) that kept them in the game or we would have blown them out bad. Rutgers is the worst BIG 10 team...and it’s not even close. But thats exactly the point here, we have a young team. But so far we played 4 games and we haven’t shit the bed at all yet. We still have 7- 8 more games to play. The season is far from over. So yes, forgive me if I don’t throw in the towel just yet. But yes, we have a very young team that makes mistakes one game and looks solid the next.

We had a bad game against Colorado. Actually a bad 1 and a quarter of a game. Illinois game was youthful mistakes (4 fumbles and 10 plus penalties for over 100 some yards. Huskers had dam near 700 total yards of offense to Illinois being held under 300 yards) that kept them in the game or we would have blown them out bad. Rutgers is the worst BIG 10 team...and it’s not even close. But thats exactly the point here, we have a young team. But so far we played 4 games and we haven’t shit the bed at all yet. We still have 7- 8 more games to play. The season is far from over. So yes, forgive me if I don’t throw in the towel just yet. But yes, we have a very young team that makes mistakes one game and looks solid the next.

With that kind of yard discrepancy, it wasn't just penalties and turnovers. We can't sustain drives because half the time our QB doesn't make the right read causing this offense in long down situations or lose a massive amount of yards.

While Ozigbo and Stan were huge losses, they didn’t get drafted and that’s indicative of how bare our elite talent level is. I expect 2-3 years from now for us to have 3-4 guys picked in each draft.

Exactly. I posted my post before I actually finished it. But it’s updated now and that’s my point as well.

While Ozigbo and Stan were huge losses, they didn’t get drafted and that’s indicative of how bare our elite talent level is. I expect 2-3 years from now for us to have 3-4 guys picked in each draft.

But salts swore up and down that Noa da gawd was going to make us forget about Stan and that our WRs and RBs were better off this year than they were last year.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
But salts swore up and down that Noa da gawd was going to make us forget about Stan and that our WRs and RBs were better off this year than they were last year.

Yep I thought Noa and Hunt would help easy the pain. But wait, wasn’t you try to claim I was saying they’d be All Americans??? Or did that falsifying info change?

Did it??? Go find my post and quote me stud. You know, since you have it pegged. It won’t take you long to find it.

Did it what? I know what you said. I don't need to prove anything, just want you to admit that you're full of yit.

Normally I wouldn't care, but you were a real ass in that thread.

Did it what? I know what you said. I don't need to prove anything, just want you to admit that you're full of yit.

Normally I wouldn't care, but you were a real ass in that thread.

Of course you won’t, because it’s false and far from true. You will never find a post of mine claiming Noa will be an All American. If you did look, you’d find posts of me saying I think Noa could take Speilmans spot while JD takes Stans spot. But nothing like your claim. Not even close.

This is dead on and the exact reason why I stay off the board during the game and I don’t get involved in the after game thoughts, predictions for the games anymore and all that. I get on just for the recruiting part and that’s it. We have a very young team and we make youthful mistakes. We have way to many fans on this board that forget this and demand our current team to play like juniors and seniors that’s been playing for the same staff for 4-5 years.

It’s just not going to happen. Not in year 2 with this many freshmen and sophomores in the two deep. This year we will be up and down. One game we will kick ass and show that young talent off and how good we can be and the next game we will commit 4 turnovers and 10 penalties for over 100 some odd yards and showing off our youth. All the while adding almost 700 total yards of offense and holding the other team to under 300 total yards of offense. The future is bright for us, we just have to deal with a young team that makes costly mistakes one game and then kills it the next game this year. GBR
This isnt at all what you were saying before the season. Not even close.

Reactions: SC_'sker
Good post OP. Before the season I said 2020 will be when we should see the real progress, because that roster should be loaded. And should AMart actually play to his potential and stay a 4th year...sweet sassy molassy 2021!!

And? Neither got drafted and that’s only two players. We still had a very young team last year and that obviously didnt win us games. We will be fine. We got a young team and they are coming along.
I've got news for you, we're always going to be a young team under Frost, especially if you count the walk ons. Frost is going to bring a lot of new guys in each year and if they aren't doing things the staff wants done, they aren't going to stick around very long.

We cant sustain drives.....

10 plays, 75 yds
6 plays, 79 yds
7 plays, 76 yds
9 plays, 75 yds
6 plays, 64 yds
11 plays, 75 yds

No pts 10 plays, 70 yds

Reactions: huskerssalts
This isnt at all what you were saying before the season. Not even close.

Hey, you’re right. I hoped we’d play a bit better. But just like everything we all said during the off season, it was guessing and hopefully wishing. There was a number of us that hoped we’d started faster and been that much better...but hey, again, it’s off season guessing. We have definitely came out slow to start the season and I have definitely missed on a few of my hopes and guesses. But it doesn’t mean it’s any less the truth. The mistakes we see now are due to a young a team making youthful mistakes. That’s all it is. It’s not because we are horrible and flat out suck, just young. Over the season that should improve and only get better the next season up.

Last edited:
I am going to be starting up an analytics web blog in the next few weeks. I have all the formulas down for College Football and mainly for College Basketball... I may throw in other sports for betting purposes at a later date.

Not going to get into great detail about it, because my site isn't up yet. Hope to have it up before the October 12 games. I will tell you this much, Illinois is not the worst team in the B1G and it isn't even close based on my scale of performance after week 4. What is listed below has no conference or name bias what so ever, and it is all based on performance alone.

( ) = Overall

1. (1)Ohio State
2. (2)Wisconsin
3. (6)Maryland <- Syracuse win puts them here at the moment. I feel it will work itself out. No way are they the 6th best team in the country
4. (19)Iowa
5. (31)Penn State
6. (32)Nebraska
7. (44)Michigan State
8. (45)Indiana
9. (49)Michigan
10. (61)Minnesota
11. (64)Illinois
12. (90)Rutgers
13. (104)Purdue
14. (107)Northwestern

I am going to be starting up an analytics web blog in the next few weeks. I have all the formulas down for College Football and mainly for College Basketball... I may throw in other sports for betting purposes at a later date.

Not going to get into great detail about it, because my site isn't up yet. Hope to have it up before the October 12 games. I will tell you this much, Illinois is not the worst team in the B1G and it isn't even close based on my scale of performance after week 4. What is listed below has no conference or name bias what so ever, and it is all based on performance alone.

( ) = Overall

1. (1)Ohio State
2. (2)Wisconsin
3. (6)Maryland <- Syracuse win puts them here at the moment. I feel it will work itself out. No way are they the 6th best team in the country
4. (19)Iowa
5. (31)Penn State
6. (32)Nebraska
7. (44)Michigan State
8. (45)Indiana
9. (49)Michigan
10. (61)Minnesota
11. (64)Illinois
12. (90)Rutgers
13. (104)Purdue
14. (107)Northwestern

http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/teamratings

Like I said mine is my own formula based on performance alone... So Alabama/Clemson didn't start out 1/2 they started out like every other power 5. Like it should be...

Wisconsin - My System (2) ESPN (8)...

W - South Florida 49-0
W - Central Michigan 61-0 <-(Miami (Fl) just beat them 17-12) Just to compare.
W - Michigan 35-14

Alabama - My System (9) ESPN (1)...

W - Duke 42-3
W - New Mexico State 62-10
W - South Carolina 47-23 (Just because they are South Carolina doesn't mean they are good)
W - Southern Miss 49-7

You tell me what team has performed better and beat better competition Alabama or Wisconsin

ESPN is bias city, and Alabama will be a top 5 team unless they lose 3 f***ing times. Why the hell do you think I am making this blog, it's to get the biased ranking out of the mix... basically so people like you don't post uneducated links to stuff they know nothing about.

Alabama has played no one yet. South Carolina is 1-3 and is currently ranked 73 in my system. Duke is their best win and they are ranked 51 according to me. What magical "ESPN Alabama Power" puts them at #1... oh that's right even though they have beat no one they still are the best. Why? Well Nick Saban is their coach! What does that have to do with this years performances? He is just better than the other guys! Oh yeah that makes sense

Edit:

My systems top 10 at the moment

1. Ohio State
2. Wisconsin
3. Clemson
4. Auburn
5. Mississippi State
6. Maryland (Syracuse win looks better than it will end up
7. Georgia
8. Notre Dame
9. Alabama
10. Oregon

Last edited:
Reactions: huskerssalts
Like I said mine is my own formula based on performance alone... So Alabama/Clemson didn't start out 1/2 they started out like every other power 5. Like it should be...

W - South Florida 49-0
W - Michigan 35-14

W - Duke 42-3
W - South Carolina 47-23 (Just because they are South Carolina doesn't mean they are good)
W - Southern Miss 49-7

You tell me what team has performed better and beat better competition Alabama or Wisconsin

ESPN is bias city, and Alabama will be a top 5 team unless they lose 3 f***ing times. Why the hell do you think I am making this blog, it's to get the biased ranking out of the mix... basically so people like you don't post uneducated links to stuff they know nothing about.

I love it. I’m all for reading up on it and seeing how it comes along. GBR

Reactions: big red22

W - South Florida 49-0
W - Michigan 35-14

W - Duke 42-3
W - Southern Miss 49-7

Alabama has played no one yet. South Carolina is 1-3 and is currently ranked 73 in my system. Duke is their best win and they are ranked 51 according to me. What magical "ESPN Alabama Power" puts them at #1... oh that's right even though they have beat no one they still are the best. Why? Well Nick Saban is their coach! What does that have to do with this years performances? He is just better than the other guys! Oh yeah that makes sense

Edit:

My systems top 10 at the moment

1. Ohio State
2. Wisconsin
3. Clemson
4. Auburn
5. Mississippi State
6. Maryland (Syracuse win looks better than it will end up
7. Georgia
8. Notre Dame
9. Alabama
10. Oregon

How in the hell do you have Mississippi st at 5?

How in the hell do you have Mississippi st at 5?
Strength of Schedule

The following is the 2nd toughest schedule

Kentucky (22)
Southern Miss (60)
Louisiana Lafayet (37)
Kansas State (15)

Alabama's Schedule

Duke (51)
New Mexico State (118)
South Carolina (73)
Southern Miss (60)

Like I said... performance alone. Week 6 it will get the oddities like Mississippi State at 5 and Maryland at 6 out of there. Louisiana Lafayet at 37 will most likely not be there in week 6 ect...

Also just an fyi... after Week 3 my system had the following...

Central Michigan (64)
Miami (71)

Miami was -30 1/2

Final Score @Miami 17-12

I have a buddy that made some cash on that game because of my unbiased sheet

Also sorry Cedric for hijacking your thread. My intentions were to point out Illinois is not as bad as some people on here think

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT