ADVERTISEMENT

Young Players you liked last weekend

leodisflowers

Assistant Head Coach
Feb 25, 2011
North Carolina
After watching the spring game, there were a few intriguing players for me this weekend. Will be interesting to see how they develop.

Gabe Ervin - Dude just seemed smooth running the ball and I thought showed some good vision and a little bit of wiggle.

Nixon - I liked what I saw from him. Decent burst and showed some shift as well.

Polar Bear - I think he is still raw, but the kid is huge, strong and understands leverage. I think he could be a big time force against the run game in years to come and hopefully he can come in and beat on opposing lines for a few snaps a game this year to help out the DL.

Jamin Graham - Didn't focus on his play, but he looked like a pretty big body. Will be interesting to see how he develops.

Phalen Sanford - Kid probably won't ever see the field, but he seemed to play pretty well when in there this past weekend. Looking at his bio, he is a pretty damn good all around athlete and could surprise some people. He probably won't, but it is intriguing.

Sanford was intriguing. He was the one player that I had no idea who he was. Seemed to be constantly around the ball and making plays, including the INT before half. I googled him and found this interesting write-up from his high school days:

Running Back:

Phalen Sanford - Dundy County/Stratton - 6-0, 185, Senior. (RB/LB)

2016 Stat Line: Rushing-1,125 yards. Over 2,000 yards total offense.

Phalen Sanford, in my opinion, is the top small athlete in the entire state. A wizard in every sport would be an understatement. First ever 1000 yard rusher for Dundy County. He also led the Tigers to the State Basketball Tournament a year ago, averaging 17 ppg, 5 rebounds and 3 assists.

In track, Sanford runs :14.9 in the 110 high hurdles, 38.74 in the 300 Intermediates, pole vaults 15 feet, high jumps 6-4” and runs a :51.4 four hundred meters. Probably could be a state champion in horseshoes, table tennis or tiddlywinks if Dundy County/Stratton had those sports.

On the football field, Phalen Sanford has scored in every conceivable way there is in the game. He has touchdowns rushing, passing, and receiving on offense, has at least one Pick 6 on defense and has returned at least one punt and one kick return for scores. Honest to goodness, one sliver of light and this guy is off to the races, pulling away all the way to the end zone.

Behind Sanford’s multi gridiron talents, the Tigers went 5-3 last season, their first winning record since 2005. Dundy has gone 12-12 while during Phalen’s first 3 years in school. Prior to that, the Tigers suffered through a 6-42 drought, stretching back to 2008, all coming as an 11-Man team.

This kid has it all (already an All-State D-1 football selection) and my wish is that Dundy County/Stratton makes to the D-1 playoffs this season. Only one other time in history that has occurred, and that resulted in a 46-0 loss to Crawford back in 2005.

Lead them to the promised land Phalen Sanford. The “Moses” of Dundy County.

After watching the spring game, there were a few intriguing players for me this weekend. Will be interesting to see how they develop.

Gabe Ervin - Dude just seemed smooth running the ball and I thought showed some good vision and a little bit of wiggle.

Nixon - I liked what I saw from him. Decent burst and showed some shift as well.

Polar Bear - I think he is still raw, but the kid is huge, strong and understands leverage. I think he could be a big time force against the run game in years to come and hopefully he can come in and beat on opposing lines for a few snaps a game this year to help out the DL.

Jamin Graham - Didn't focus on his play, but he looked like a pretty big body. Will be interesting to see how he develops.

Phalen Sanford - Kid probably won't ever see the field, but he seemed to play pretty well when in there this past weekend. Looking at his bio, he is a pretty damn good all around athlete and could surprise some people. He probably won't, but it is intriguing.
I think you're confusing Jamin Graham with Jimari Butler. Jimari Butler looked very promising, at least from natural explosiveness.

Graham number 89?

What number was Sanford?

Holla

Good list op. I would add john bullock. 85 in white. As with sanford I doubt he sees the field much but I could see both those guys being quality special teams players.

which RBs will transfer? Rahmir? Sevion? I see 1 leaving this year and another next year. You can't keep 7 underclassmen RBs happy.

My guess this year would be Rahmir and Thompkins. We then give a scholarship to Yant. Scott is the most reliable. Yant has the biggest upside. Ervin will be very solid. I still really like Morrison because I feel he is the only one with that extra gear.

Reactions: NikkiSixx

In no particular order:

Gunnerson, Ervin, Hutmacher.

It was also nice to see Morrison and I liked his potential.

Reactions: dinglefritz

Butler (confused him with Graham) showed me some serious wheels running a RB down who bounced a play outside. That kid can move. Might be the edge rusher we need.

The thing that impressed me about Ervin was not only his running in traffic but his speed to the corner. It was nice to see a guy who can break tackles be able to get the corner. Impressive I thought for a true freshman.

Hutmacher barring injuries will play on Sundays. All I'm going to say.

Bullocks was a guy who always seemed to be in the right place and make plays. One of the coaches said he's been impressive all spring. Very fast and big enough to play safety. I think he's going to play for us before his career is over.

Last edited:
I think you're confusing Jamin Graham with Jimari Butler. Jimari Butler looked very promising, at least from natural explosiveness.
Yeah I think you're right. I think I made the same mistake. Butler wore #17 and that was who I saw run down a RB who bounced a play outside. Butler looked really fast. I'm not sure if we had multiple guys wearing 89 or not, but Graham is listed on the roster as #89 and IF I remember correctly he made some plays. Butler was the guy though that impressed me on ONE play. There were way too many guys shuffling in and out to keep track of them all especially with the announcers seemingly not paying attention to what was going on on the field at times.

Morrison seems the most natural and has the most potential out of the RB's. Kind of reminded me of Adrian Peterson's running style.
I really like what I saw from Morrison also. But for most potential I gotta go with Ervin. I havent seen many ppl mention Scott. I think he looked good. There are some pretty decent looking players in the rb room. And we havent even seen Stepp yet. Thompkins looks like he can play to but with his injuries its hard to imagine he get a lot of carries.

Nixon and Bullock. They appear to have the right stuff. And Hutmaker sp? Would not want to be the guy who has to go up against him.

Harris from Millard South showed me that he can play. Also Mr Bullocks looked really good.

ADVERTISEMENT